Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am new here to this forum and somewhat new to the sport of handguns. In the past couple of months I have visited my local gun shop/shooting range several times and have rented (4) different semi-auto's to help me make a decision as to which hand gun to purchase. The guns that I have rented are all 9mm (my caliber of choice). Unfortunately, this range does not rent Taurus handguns. From what I have read on some other forums, a lot of members say "stay away from Taurus handguns...." However, there are many videos and reviews that praise some Taurus handguns.

I have been doing a lot of research in reference to these handguns, watched video's, read reviews, and so on. I am wondering what differences there are between the 800 series and the 24/7 G2. The Taurus website lists the obvious differences, but what about reliability? Does anyone here have any experience with both of these handguns? Any info that you might have will be greatly appreciated.

I should mention that my intended use will be for target shooting, indoor and outdoor at a local gun club.

I recently purchased a Smith & Wesson M&P22 to get acquainted to this sport. Hopefully, this .22 caliber will allow me to hone my skills to a level that I may be able to advance to a 9mm handgun (which is my goal). In the past few weeks of shooting this gun as often as possible, I feel that I am advancing quicker then anticipated.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for reading!!

Tom

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Welcome to the forum! The 24/7 series pistols are striker guns and they're very reliable. All my Tauri have served me well and I love them all. The 800 series guns are also excellent ones. They are hammer guns, btw.

Edit: The PT145 is my EDC but I am sending its slide and barrel to CCR for refinishing in Cera Hide Tri-Tanium for a cool look so I'm carrying the 24/7 C .45 now until the PT145 parts come back to me.

·
Registered
36,598 Posts
well if I were looking for mainly a target type pistol then the Taurus 24/7 OSS or the 24/7 Pro LS would be what i would be looking at in the Taurus line.
I think Buds gunshop still has the 24/7 OSS for about 330-350, best buy around by far!
the OSS has a match grade barrel of 5.25 inches, ambi safety and decocker.
heres a picture of my old ugly black one below!
Now of course if you already have the M&P 22 then I personally like the M&P in the lager calibers real well and everything should be the same on both M&P's.
of course none of these combat type pistols are really target quality but do well in the average shooters hands.

Attachments

·
Registered
36,598 Posts
I have a black OSS .45 just like yours.
YEP! Ugly but accurate things aren't they?-LOL
I been thinking about buying a glock to put in the safe so all the other guns will quit talking about how ugly the OSS is!

Reactions: Foxtail207

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Yeah, I had a few Glock's before so the OSS still looks pretty to me
. Just got her from Bud's a few days ago but I already loved her so much.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I have been doing a lot of research in reference to these handguns, watched video's, read reviews, and so on. I am wondering what differences there are between the 800 series and the 24/7 G2. The Taurus website lists the obvious differences, but what about reliability? Does anyone here have any experience with both of these handguns? Any info that you might have will be greatly appreciated.

I should mention that my intended use will be for target shooting, indoor and outdoor at a local gun club.

I recently purchased a Smith & Wesson M&P22 to get acquainted to this sport. Hopefully, this .22 caliber will allow me to hone my skills to a level that I may be able to advance to a 9mm handgun (which is my goal). In the past few weeks of shooting this gun as often as possible, I feel that I am advancing quicker then anticipated.
Welcome to our forum, and congratulations too on your recent purchase!

I don't have any comment about the 24/7, but I do own the PT809 and I love it. It is very accurate, and it is a comfortable gun to fire.

If you intend to get a 9 mm, you might as well get it now, so long as finances permit. The .22 is a great and cheap caliber to practice with, and you definitely can learn a lot very quickly. However, IMO (and some may disagree), it is so forgiving that it does not teach you that it is important to grip the pistol very firmly.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for you replies!!! Lot's of good information that I can definitely use to aid me with my upcoming (hopefully soon) purchase of a 9mm. There is a lot to think about, but with forums like this one, it make choosing a handgun MUCH easier!!!

Thanks again,

Tom

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
My 24/7 is the most impressive shooter I have. I think it would be a very good target and plinking gun. But then I'm not a whole lot ahead of you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts