Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

This is my first post. I tried posting to the new members section but it hung when I submitted and I didn't feel like typing the whole thing over again.

I have been looking to buy a Taurus pistol for awhile. At first I was drawn to the 24/7 Pro in 9mm (I'm not really looking for opinions on caliber, thanks), and then I started to lean toward the Mil Pro because of the concealability.

Now I see a few posts on the 24/7 Pro compact and it looks like it might be the best of both worlds. Concealable, but with the option for a full-size grip with the 17 round mag. The only thing I can see that might be a downside is the shorter barrel (shorter sight radius, slower rounds, a little less comfortable too shoot). Still I think the smaller size wins out. I don't plan on carrying regularly, but I would like the option.

I guess I am just looking for opinions. If you were buying your first Taurus pistol, would you buy this, or something else, and why.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Jon... since most of us have never seen and handled the 24/7 compact, I can only guess that you have a somewhat shorter grip (13 rounds 9mm normal with the typical 17 rnd full size 24/7 mag which will probably stick out some like the XD compacts) and a barrel length of the Mil Pro.

I liked the 24/7 when I had it, and I love my PT145... even range shooting where I will typically put 50-100 rounds at a sitting.

What's not to like about any of the 3? I think you would want to actually put your hands on one to get a feel... it's not so much the right gun as what is right for you.

BTW... welcome to the group... don't be afraid to enter in the discussion! ESPECIALLY if you buy one of the compacts... all of us would like to know more about what these actually are!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Cimarron is right - go out and pick up a few - keep your eyes open for chances to shoot them. Lots of shooting ranges rent guns. And think about what you'll be doing with it. If target shooting is your objective then a dedicated target pistol might be your thing. Defensive carry is another. Home defense (different from carry) is yet another.

You've got a GREAT adventure ahead of you. Savor it. Sometimes it's the best when it's all new and different.

Me? I've been to Disney World too many times. Jaded. ::)

·
32,706 Posts
One slight caveat. If this is a first time gun it might pay(pardon the pun) to get the larger of the two 24/7s. And then buy the smaller one for CCW. Here's the reasoning.

Smaller guns are harder to learn to shoot well than their bigger brethren. Longer sight radius, more grip to hold on to, less recoil, and a host of other factors that just make it easier for a shooter to get used to. These are all what the bigger gun has going for it.

Smaller guns can be ammo sensitive or finicky as far as diet is concerned.

It may not matter to you to go this route, but if getting experience and being familiar with your pistol are a major factor then this may be the way to go.

Here's a little oldy but goody for your reading enjoyment

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=1625.0

One last thing. With 2 of the 24/7 pistols, one for CCW carry and one for house use and possible winter CCW carry, should the first gun ever be bagged and tagged as evidence for a defense shooting, you will have one still for defense. The first gun will be in the police evidence room for a long time or might not be returned at all.

·
Administrator
18,181 Posts
What Qwiks Draw said!

Also, you may find that you can conceal a full size 24/7, but that will depend upon method of carry and your physical size.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had a chance to handle a 24/7 compact yesterday at a local gun shop. I really wanted to love this gun, as you can tell from my first post, but it didn't wow me like I thought it would. It didn't balance as well as a full-size 24/7 (which I guess is to be expected with the shorter barrel), and the grip didn't feel right. I fount that my middle finger rubbed against the trigger guard in an uncomfortable way. This really surprised me, since it looks like the same grip.

I think I am back to my Mil-Pro or 24/7 Pro, or maybe I'll give the XD or XD sub-compact another look.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Welcome to the Group! I have the 24/7 pro compact 9mm ss and really love it. Out of the box (after a good thorough cleaning) it was extremely accurate. Whatever I pointed at, I hit. Period. The grip, sight picture, and recoil were wonderful. Only one FTF because the round itself was bad. Pumped 50 rounds through it on the first outing. Personally, I use the 13 round magazine for CCW. It comes with a 13 and 17 round magazine, but the 17 doesn't float my boat for CCW. So I bought another 13 and I'm set. Take all the advice provided above and make the best decision for you. Everyone is different.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Welcome, I have the compact as you might guess from my handle. I love it ! :D It is the best shooting 9mm I've fired.
Very nice grip and has a good balance to me. I also have an older pt111 it is not even in the same class as the 24/7. IMO, Good Luck :)

·
Registered
228 Posts
If it was my first pistol, I would get the 24/7 compact. It is easy to clean and maintain. In addition, it is a very nice pistol especially the stainless steel.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sounds like you are in a similar spot to where I was.

I was looking for a good pistol. Price mattered, action and ergonomics mattered, and caliber was a big deal. I wanted one that could serve as a home defense weapon, a range gun, and a carry piece if I were so inclined.

That said all of that is a tall order for any one gun, but I had a few needs/wants that I worked with
Needs
Caliber, no less than 40 (got 45)
Single action trigger for first pull
under $500

Wants
Manual saftey that could be carried cocked and locked
light weight
higher capacity
easy to conceal

Some of my options were a used XD, new Tauruses, and a few of the 1911 clones.
Originally I ordered a Armscor 1911 ($412), as it filled the needs, and one of the wants, but that wasnt all of them. Then I got my hands on a PT145.

Hmm, concealable, light, 45, higher capacity (than the 1911) manual saftey, cocked and locked first pull, $330 (where I was shopping)... Wow thats great. Felt great in my hands, liked the over all feel, really liked the gun from start to finish.

Picked up the 24/7 45 and liked it even more. It came home with me. A little bigger, and a little heavier, but neither are unreasonable for me for carry (6' 220lbs). Longer barrel and higher capacity yet (all though I agree that if you need more than 8-10 rounds of 45 you're doing something wrong, if I ever need number 11 or 12, I'm sure going to be glad I have them), its a nearly perfect gun for me. I STILL have that 1911 on order as I have always liked the 1911s, still havent seen it yet either though :rolleyes:

Mean while I've got a few hundred rounds through my 24/7 45 and am VERY happy with it. Every now and again I go by the gun counter and think about bringing a PT145 home with me, but really I don't see it filling any gaps left by the 24/7 for my uses. Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Absolutely love my 24/7 Pro C DS in 9mm. It's getting repaired now unfortunately, but I absolutely love it. Mine shoots dead accurate, even up to about 15 yards. The gun feels fantastic loaded up in either magazine; the weight is great when loaded up.

Two of my buddies own a Beretta 8045 Cougar and a Glock 19, and both of them like the way my 24/7 Pro C shoots and feels better than theirs. All great guns, but I couldn't give a stronger endorsement for the compact. PM me if you have questions, I can send you pics or more info.

·
32,706 Posts
People raise the ancient thread somtimes when it might be easier to just start a new one or look in the archives.

Just consider your self in condition white and now go to condition orange. ;) :D It can happen to anyone.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts