Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, first post here. Got a question I'm sure you guys can answer. I don't like the idea of carrying, or having a firearm sitting around, round in the chamber, cocked and ready to fire. With the 24/7 DA firing, does that mean I can have a round in the chamber without the striker being cocked back? As in, since the first shot is DA, the round is in the chamber without the striker being cocked back and the act of squeezing the trigger from the DA position actually cocks the striker, then releases it once the trigger reaches its full rearward position? That's the way I'm seeming to understand it.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I believe you're talking about the 24/7 9mm G2 so yes, the 1st shot is in DA and therefore, it's not cocked on the 1st shot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, 24/7 G2. Sorry. Not to beat this into the ground, but I want to be absolutely clear on this due to the serious nature of firearm safety. The slide is open, I insert the loaded magazine, release the slide. The slide slams home, a round is in the chamber, but the striker is NOT in a "cocked" position? Sorry for the newbish tone of this but I was in the National Guard for 4 years, and owned several 1911 style firearms in the past. I haven't owned a gun in about 15 years and honestly never heard of a DA pistol until I started researching about a year ago when I decided (after being victim to a home invasion) it was time to buy another one for protection. Thanks for clearing it up for me. I went to my LGS the other day and was torn between the 24/7 G2 or the PT809. I've been looking at both of them online for quite some time, and checking them out in person didn't solidify my choice either way. I really loved the look and feel of the 24/7 G2, but the PT809 has the external hammer, which was appealing to me cause I knew I could have one in the chamber and be ready to fire in a moments notice, without the anxiety of having that hammer/striker cocked back (I know, it's an irrational fear, but one I have nonetheless). But after reading here most of the day, and Taurus10's input, I'm definitely picking up the 24/7 G2.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Check the owner's manual. If your pistol is a DS, it has a decocker.
I thought that all semis are SA when the slide is racked to chamber the first round.
Mine is, unless I decock it, then it's DA.

The exception is the SIG P229, which is DAK.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have the same gun. When you insert a magazine and rack the slide a round is loaded into the chamber and the gun is in DA mode.... It is not cocked. To verify this for yourself push the safety lever down ( de- cocker). You will notice it doesn't do anything since the gun isn't cocked. Great gun...you'll love it!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
The G2 will not be cocked if the trigger was released before the new mag gets put in and the slide is released. If you hold the trigger down on your last round and keep holding it down while you swap mags and release the slide, then it will be in DA mode. But even then, just move the safety downward to decock. It is a safety when you push it up, and a decocker when you push it down.
I absolutely love my 24/7 G2. It's as fine a piece of equipment as the similar guns that cost a bunch more.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Welcome from East Texas to the best gun forum on the internet.

I own the Gen 1 and it is always in SA. It is my primary carry gun and I have never had a problem with the safety magically coming off. That was the purpose of the 24/7 in the beginning to have a cocked and locked gun. IMO

Sounds like the G2 you have to be sure how you hold it when you rack the slide.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
It's not a problem, really! Just don't hold onto the trigger when you rack the slide. I really can't imagine why anyone would do this. Rule #3 of the Big Four. Just because it's possible doesn't mean it's reasonably probable.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Right, on the 24/7 G2's, when you rack the slide to load a round, it's in DA and the striker is NOT cocked (you do not see the RED cocking indicator on the back of the slide). After the 1st shot, it's in SA unless you have a misfire.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Correct, the 24/7 G2 stays in DA when you initially rack the slide and isn't in SA until you fire the first round, then every shot is SA unless you decock.
The only way for the G2 to initially start in SA is to hold the trigger down while you rack the slide.

Sent from my assault phone using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
62 Posts
This is what makes the DA/SA G2 so great! On the first round the striker is not cocked until the trigger is pulled DA. Plus you can put the gun on "safe" while in this mode. Making it significantly more difficult to accidentally fire your weapon! Another point for the 24/7 G2!:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts