Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just put 300 rounds of American Eagle through it today. That would put the total round count to 700, with only two FTF's. The second strike quickly corrected that. So here's the ammo I used, how many rounds, and my opinions on all of them:

CCI Blazer, 115 gr FMJ, 50 rds. - Not a hitch with these. Accuracy was pretty standard, it was good enough for me.

WWB, 115 gr FMJ, 100 rds. - Everyone knows about this stuff. It's good for what it does, great cost, pretty dirty though compared to the rest. One FTF.

Rem. Golden Sabers, 124 gr JHP, 25 rds. - Not very impressed by these, which is strange because most love them. I had one FTF with it, which was odd considering it was premium. Accuracy was average.

Spear Gold Dot, 115 gr JHP, 50 rounds - These things smell horrible when shot. Not really a problem per say, but DAMN! Nothing too impressive about the accuracy, and they definitely had a kick despite not being +P. I knew when they went off...but they did it every time.

Hornady TAP, 124 gr JHP 25 rds. - BUY THIS STUFF. These rounds felt like they were made for this gun. Best accuracy I've ever experienced in a polymer handgun. I honestly can't describe it, but Hornady has made me a believer. This would definitely be my carry ammo.

Hornady XTP, 115 gr JHP, 50 rounds - Shot about as good as the TAP, but I had an FTF. Not really stressed about it because it was OLD ammo. Second strike put the defect down the barrel.

Federal AE, 115 gr FMJ, 400 rds. - Every round went boom, accuracy was good.

I'll let everyone know when I hit the 1,000 round count. So far everything is golden. As long as it feeds and ejects, I'll work with it. Takes longer to drop the mag and correct the FTE than it does to pull the trigger again. :)

·
Registered
846 Posts
Now get you some Hornady bullets and a reloader and you'll be set. All guns have that one bullet, load combo I have always believed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got a reloader and dies, but a steady diet of Hornady's would be a little too costly for me. On top of it all, I don't really have the time to do reloads, it's just easier for me to buy in bulk. I can get 1,000 rounds of AE for about $200, and that's fine by me. I'm sure I'll get around to the hobby one of these days, though.

By the way Texas, how do you like your PT140? I've got a Glock 22, and I love the design, but I hate the snappy recoil of the .40. I got to shoot a first gen PT111 and noticed that even for a 9 mil, it was a little more snappy than my Glock 26 using WWB. I do think my Glock weighs a bit more though. I was wondering how the stout .40 works in such a light gun.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I love it never found the recoil bad at all. The Ms. has shot it and never complained, she likes the 24/7 better but that's do to the grips and feel she just likes it. If she thought it was bad she would say so.I rented and shot several brands before I bought it and my 24/7 the XD that so many brag on to me was worse than the Mill. the gun has a "good feel" in the hand and to me the XD did not. This can go along way on how the recoil is felt.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
300 more rounds of AE through the 24/7 9 mil...ran like a champ. I'd say I'm definitely satisfied with this one. The more I think about it, the more I realize I can't be that good with a Glock....which is why I just sold my 17. Don't get me wrong, I'll miss it like crazy, but it can always be replaced with a 19 that fits my hands better...at least until we get Hitlery in office.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, if anyone is thinking about getting an XD45, DO IT. Better feel for smaller hands than a G21, and as accurate as I could want it. 150 rounds through it today as well. Brand new, out of the box, no misfeeds. FABULOUS. Texas, thanks for the reply on the Millennium, I've been looking at one for some time, but as of right now, I can't justify buying one. The G26 won't let me...told me I'd be the one spending the night in the safe if I bought one.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
RedlineCBR said:
Also, if anyone is thinking about getting an XD45, DO IT. Better feel for smaller hands than a G21, and as accurate as I could want it. 150 rounds through it today as well. Brand new, out of the box, no misfeeds. FABULOUS. Texas, thanks for the reply on the Millennium, I've been looking at one for some time, but as of right now, I can't justify buying one. The G26 won't let me...told me I'd be the one spending the night in the safe if I bought one.

I seriously can't imagine anything that wouldn't feel better in the hand then a Glock, and I am not knocking Glocks. There is an aluminum frame you can purchase for a Glock that replaces the factory frame and makes it feel more like a 1911 with a Glock slide, but to me that kind of improvement would basically make an anti-glock :)

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
As to Glocks, my son has one, 9mm, a 17 I think, from his original duty as a PT officer in a small town that the guys had to carry what they bought themselves.

Well to me the darn thing always felt like I was trying to get my hand around a 2x4. That is one of the reasons, I wound up trying the PT111 and loving the grip. Now If I can just learn to shoot it straighter.

I would love to try the 24/7 either size just to compare. I may wind up needing the longer barrel, for anything beyond personal defense.

·
22,050 Posts
I have an XD45 and an M&P .45. The M&P is a much better feel than the XD. Really no comparison. The best feel of a large caliber double stack that I tried. When I got my M&P .45 I cleaned and boxed for sale the XD. The glock is bulky in the grip but gee wiz the after market for glock has everything you need to improve what ever you might not like about it.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
airwrench said:
The glock is bulky in the grip but gee wiz the after market for glock has everything you need to improve what ever you might not like about it.
But nothing in the after market, can reduce the size of that grip! Of course my son's is quite old, and I heard since they went with different mags, the size went down some. But I have never tried any of them, except I did wrap my hand around a Glock Mini 9 mm at a local gun shop.

·
22,050 Posts
I think my point is I would like to see the aftermarket for Taurus be as vast as Glock.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
airwrench said:
I think my point is I would like to see the aftermarket for Taurus be as vast as Glock.
Yes the hunt for stuff to add on, or even holsters and mags is fun for some of the guns. I know, I look for the PRO 12 shot mags in 9 mm, and most of the online sites just have the 10 shot. Holsters was the same thing, as I did not have over $100 to spend on a carry holster. I finally bought a cheapy IWB, and a Fobus paddle so I have some options. I did find a universal shoulder rig, but it would fit anything from a 1911 down to a 22 Semi if you adjust it properly. Even if you had a light, or laser on them.

Even the local gun shops, have limited stocks of anything that remotely fits a Taurus. I was in one while he was un boxing mags, and every Pro mag that he had received was for a 10 rd Pro.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts