Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally picked up my .45 out lay away cleaned it up and headed to the range so far i was please as i had none of the problems some folks have been having however later as i was just trying to get to know the gun better i ran into something a little strange if there is a round in the chamber and you want to clear the gun i drop the mag rack the slide and the round gets wedged in the ejection port everytime is this common or is there something i am doing wrong

·
Administrator
35,410 Posts
Mine has done this a few times - if I don't rack it quite so far, it usually just falls out the magazine opening.

Welcome to the forum, by the way !!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Can't say for sure this might be it, because I have it in the 9mm, but I ran into a problem with rounds not ejecting fully like this. I realized that I wasn't racking the slide with enough force to get it to clear the ejection port, so it would get stuck. You might try being a little more assertive when you rack it. Or rack it upside down and see if it still gets wedged.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
texastaurusguy said:
Mine has done this a few times - if I don't rack it quite so far, it usually just falls out the magazine opening.
My .40 has not done it. When I clear mine I just do it slow and let the round fall out the mag opening also.

Welcome from Minnesota.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I don't have a 24/7 45, but I had a similar problem with my PT145 MilPro 45. On my gun it was a combination for low extractor tension on the rim and the nose of the round not clearing the ejection port. I tuned the extractor and performed a port job. Now it ejects full rounds well clear and ejects fired casings smartly. It is much safer to test your gun's ejection with snap caps rather than live ammo.

Here is a link with photos of my modification:
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=6232.0

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
texastaurusguy said:

Welcome to the forum, by the way !!
Same thing here with my 24/7 .45. And, welcome to Taurus Armed from VEGAS!

·
Registered
5 Posts
if you think about it, the ejection port is'nt made to eject live ammo! its made to eject spent cases;)

on the other hand, if you rack it hard & fast it WILL. what i do is slow with the port tilted downwards, works fine:)

·
Registered
514 Posts
biglucke said:
if you think about it, the ejection port is'nt made to eject live ammo! its made to eject spent cases;)
I doubt it would be safe if the only way to eject live ammo would be by ejecting the mag and dropping it out through the grip...

What happens when you NEED to shoot and you get stuck on a dead primer? You should be able to eject a round by racking the slide.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I think that it was already said but, you need to rack the slide with a little more force and that shoudl solve the problem. I have the same gun but have never had this problem so I am just guessing, but it makes sense.

·
Registered
82 Posts
There are times when you might need to clear an unfired round from the chamber. You do not want the gun to jam or require special ministrations to eject a live round. You should not have to work around this problem (remove magazine or hold gun upside down). My PT145 had this problem and I corrected it. It will now will eject live rounds, snap caps, and spent shells with aplomb. It is possible that the 24/7 .45 could have the same problem, but I have not chambered a round in one yet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the help I tip the gun sideways and racked the the slide with a little more force and the rounds came right out

·
Registered
876 Posts
WildRice said:
There are times when you might need to clear an unfired round from the chamber. You do not want the gun to jam or require special ministrations to eject a live round. You should not have to work around this problem (remove magazine or hold gun upside down). My PT145 had this problem and I corrected it. It will now will eject live rounds, snap caps, and spent shells with aplomb. It is possible that the 24/7 .45 could have the same problem, but I have not chambered a round in one yet.
If I remember correctly, you ground away part of the ejection port. Doesn't this void the warranty on your pistol?

·
Registered
82 Posts
In my link, I give the caveat that this (or any other non-Taurus gunsmithing) could void your lifetime warranty. http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=6232.0 I personally felt like I had to do the port job to make my gun 100% reliable. I have ported many 1911's in my day, so this is what I consider to be a simple, minor, and basic reliability modification. I have seen other people's work with power grinders where one slip permanently ruined the slide finish. You have to know what you are doing, where and how much metal to remove and the proper radius to preserve slide strength. Again, this was done on my PT145 and I have no idea if the 24/7 .45 has this problem or not. I was just going by the descriptions of the problem.

I make sure that all of my guns are 100% jam free. I am not going to tolerate a pistol that jams when clearing a live (or dud) round. That could get me killed in a self defense situation. I took the (low) risk of performing the port job and got an excellent result. The gun now ejects live rounds well clear. Before the modification the round would jam up the gun with a double feed that would take considerable time to clear. I am glad I did it and I would do it again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts