Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
greetings all....question. :???:

was at the range this afternoon shooting. had some issues with my slide. it only happened 3 times out of 150 rounds. halfway thru a mag, the slide locked back. all i had to do was push the slide release button and all was well. now, because of the position of this button, and the fact that i keep my thumb high due to the placement of the mag release, it is possible that i could have bumped the slide catch during recoil. i dont know how probable that is. figured id ask around to see if any of you have ever had this happen. i was shooting some hollowpoints but mainly just 230 gr fmj's. only did it on the fmj's. dont think it was a ftf because ive never seen the slide lock back like that unless the mag was dropped. any help? thanks in advance fellas.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
You know if the next round did not get all the way up during recoil wouldn't it lock open. Or maybe the slide release and your finger got together, though I doubt that senario. I remember some had a problem with the mag not locking the slide open, and others where it locked when it shouldn't. Mag sticking seems the most obvious to me, but what do I know. MIne is a PT111, and I have only had two failures to load prior to my mag's being replaced.

·
22,021 Posts
The only slide problem I have had with my 9mm was the slide did not lock back on the last round. I atributed this to the lighter reloads I shoot. If your thumb is high it is possible you were applying pressure to the lock lever. With that and recoil it might have caught the slide in transit. Try bringing your other thumb on top of your right thumb to hold it down. I actually shoot this way most of the time due to quick postioning from a draw. Next time you go to the range give it a try and see if the problem repeats. If so we eliminated one possibilty. Also if you are using 2 or more mags, number them so if it happens again you will know if it is the same mag at fault.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the info guys. numbering the mags seems like a good idea to help i.d. the problem mag if thats the case. ill try the new hold my next trip airwrench. thanks again fellas

1 - 5 of 5 Posts