Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on another sight, and the guys there had found out by trying that they could simply swap barrels and mag's on their glocks 40sw with 9mm and they work fine, the need stout 9mm loads to cycle, but the extractor works just fine. I wonder if anyone that has both could give it a try?

I found a 24/7 40 LS last night, though I like the 40, it would be handy if only a barrel swap and mags would allow me to use 9mm ammo as well. Didn't buy the LS yet but leaning towards picking it up Monday. David

·
Registered
122 Posts
interesting... my buddy chose the glock over the taurus PARTIALLY because of this option (ability to downsize barrel). We just discussed this yesterday! We didnt even consider the option if it was possible to do this on the taurus and yesterday he blurted out, "hey... you think a smaller barrel will work on ur taurus?"

·
Registered
10 Posts
We had a similar situation come up on a CZ forum regarding the CZ 100 model handguns. They come from the factory in 9mm and .40 S&W, and dimensionally, both guns are the same. As far as I know, the only differences are in the barrel, springs, and on the face of the slide where the extractor is. A member sent his .40 barrel off to Bar-Sto, and they measured the crap out of it. To make a long story short, they can make .357 Sig barrels that will fit into a .40 handgun, but because the actual 9mm round is smaller in diameter than the .40, the extractor won't grab right, and it probably wouldn't work very well. You would have to change out the whole upper half of the gun, and if the 24/7 has any dimensional differences between the 9mm model and the .40 model, even that won't work...

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One of the glock guys doubted it would work to because of the extractor issue, but they found by doing it that the glock extractor does fine on the 40 down to 9mm swap. Maybe I'll skip the 24/7 and go PT101, or PT99, I'm pretty sure it would be a more accurate gun, aftermarket support is better, and finding used or aftermarket barrels are available. Cedar Rapids,IA GanderMountain has one 24/7 LS 40 for 349 so pretty good price. They also had 92's one sale don't recall price but don't think they were cheaper than Buds, going to stop buy a lunch today and look again.

I'm guessing whenever the OSS get out the LS will be history. The problem with Taurus changing they're product line as often is they do is no aftermarket support because no one wants to tool up for them.

David

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
would'nt be cheeper to just buy a 40cal? after you buy (if you can find one)a barrel and mags and what ever else you might need.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After looking at my PT111 it looks like the bolt face(can't think of the correct term) isn't much wider than a 9mm case, so I don't think it would work. I've decide I'm going PT99. That way I can add a Criener 22 lr kit as well and have aftermaret mags ect... available. Depending on how much I like it then a PT101 with the option of adding 357 sig barrel.

I like the looks and feel of th 24/7 ls, but I suspect the PT99 with have the accuracy that I crave. I not a great shot, but a loose gun makes me look even worse. David

·
Registered
66 Posts
rwcreigh said:
would'nt be cheeper to just buy a 40cal? after you buy (if you can find one)a barrel and mags and what ever else you might need.
European American Arms sells conversion kits for their Witness so you can easily change the caliber of any model to just about any other caliber plus .22 caliber. The only problem is, like you point out, it is $200 for a conversion kit and for a couple hundred more, you can buy the whole gun.

Dale

1 - 8 of 8 Posts