Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heard a rumor of this elsewhere but didn't see any info here. A friend just bought a used PT140 (I think gen 3) but has big hands and could use a little longer grip area.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I use Taurus 24/7 45cal magazines in my PT145 (adds 2 extra rounds) and I made a grip spacer to take up the small gap between the bottom of magazine and grip.

Another idea is to try a Taurus 24/7 compact full size magazine (w/grip spacer) in 40cal on your PT140. I am sure someone here in the forums owns a PT140 and a 24/7 in 40cal that can check the mag fit and let us know if it works the way I think it will. This would give your friend the added length to the grip and add a couple of rounds capacity at the sametime without altering the pistol.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Draeger....what did you use for the spacer, any pix?

Multi-Taurus owners out there: anyone that can check on this for me regarding the .40? ???

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Sorry no pics right now, camera on load to my daughter. I used some foam from one of my AR15 pistol stocks. It was small enough diameter, soft and flexible so it would not hinder with mag insertion. If you can purchase the spacer that goes on the high-cap magazine for the 24/7 compact in 40cal. from Taurus, there should be no reason that you couldn't use a full size 24/7 40cal magazine in your PT140.

When I modded all my EAA Witness 9mm, Beretta 92 & CX4 9mm mags to fit my Taurus 24/7's and Taurus PT92's, the only side affect I sometimes ran into was the slide not always locking back after last round. I never had this problem with the 24/7 45cal and PT145 but I suppose it could be possible, although unlikely. Just thought I'd mention it...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll pass along this info...thanks!
So...is Taurus the best place to purchase the mags or are there decent 3rd-party suppliers? I see that CTD sells the Taurus brand mags slightly cheaper. Do you think the stock 10rd 24/7 mag would add enough extra length for another finger? I couldn't find any mag dimensions but the 24/7 has a longer grip.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would like to know this as well. I have found a few places but they were all nearly 50 bucks. I think that is just a little high.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Jeepinbash:
CTD sells mags for a little less...be about $42 total to me for a 140 or 145 Taurus mag. I've not tried them but supposedly the mags are from Taurus and the reviewers say they work okay.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
This is another excellent place to find mags and things. http://www.cdnninvestments.com/

I am fairly sure the only place to buy the mag extensions right now is through Taurus. I use to buy Taurus mags on EBAY sometimes for less then $20.00 bucks for factory PT145 and 24/7 magazines, but those days are pretty much gonna.

Keep in mind that Beretta (M9) and Taurus 92 mags will fit Taurus 24/7 9mm firearms and possibly the PT111 (I don't have this one so I never tried). All it takes is a dremel tool to cut a new notch for the mag release hole. And you can still use them in PT92's... I don't see why the PT101 mags wouldn't work in the 24/7 40cal and PT140 pistols too.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I have the 24/7 .40 and the pt-140 mill pro and I dont know if it was a factory problem but my friend put the 24/7 .40 in the pt-140 and it shot fine but the mag would not release when it was empty. I had not had any problems with the pt140 until this happened. I had to take it to a gunsmith

·
Registered
8 Posts
sargedog said:
I have the 24/7 .40 and the pt-140 mill pro and I dont know if it was a factory problem but my friend put the 24/7 .40 in the pt-140 and it shot fine but the mag would not release when it was empty. I had not had any problems with the pt140 until this happened. I had to take it to a gunsmith
So, did the Gunsmith tell you what the problem was? I assume you got it out? Any dmage to the weapon?
I just bought a 24/7 extended mag hoping it would work in my PT140. I haven't received it yet, now I read your post..lol.. Thanks for any update you can provide.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I have purchased two 15 round 24/7 mags for my PT-140 and both of them work with no problems. I got them both on gunbroker.com. Yes, they stick out a little further than the 10 round mag, but they lock in and feed correctly, they both lock the slide open on the last round and fall free when I press the mag release. I like the way they make extra room for my pinkie to rest on. Got them used from different people, fairly cheap, about $15.00 each plus shipping. They are out there, but they can be hard to find. Now all I have to do is buy the spacers to fill the gap from Taurus.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dennis2477 said:
I have purchased two 15 round 24/7 mags for my PT-140 and both of them work with no problems. I got them both on gunbroker.com. Yes, they stick out a little further than the 10 round mag, but they lock in and feed correctly, they both lock the slide open on the last round and fall free when I press the mag release. I like the way they make extra room for my pinkie to rest on. Got them used from different people, fairly cheap, about $15.00 each plus shipping. They are out there, but they can be hard to find. Now all I have to do is buy the spacers to fill the gap from Taurus.
Thanks thats good to know. I just bought one 15 round mag and a spacer from Taurus. I hope they actually send them to me..lol.. I have big hands, and no money. SO this gun has to last me a while till I can buy something that fits me better. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
It could have just been a bad mag release on mine. But I still am not going to try it again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts