Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got an email invitation from CCI to buy some 22LR Mini-Mag. As I visited the link I see that the price has risen to $12.99 per 100 round box with free shipping over $100. That's up $2.00 in the last year. Well I guess the consolation is that they at least have it to sell.

Reactions: Caveman jim

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Yes, just be thankful to find some in stock. Long gone are the days of 3 cents a round. Long ago and far, far away, I lived near the Cabelas store north of Ft. Worth. Conveniently working nights, I scored several of the "black friday" door busters, 2100 rounds in their ammo can for $59.99. Life was good way back in the old timey days of 2010.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
I blame Mumbly Joe, his unofficial endorsement for the devastating stopping power of 9mm Luger and its ability to blow the lungs clean out of a person's torso has left many folks reconsidering their choice to carry a round which is so excessively powerful with such gruesome effects, so they're scaling down to .22LR in droves.

Personally, I think they're fools. After all, if 9mm Luger is so grotesquely overpowered that it forcibly ejects vital organs out of a person's body, then .22LR is still going to be quite gruesome, likely resulting in nasty ragged exit wounds the size of golf balls, ergo if one truly desires a cartridge which only offers a reasonable amount of potentially deadly force, then they must scale straight down to .22CB.

As for me, I will be switching back to my trusty old Red Ryder BB Gun. It served me extraordinarily well in my youth by dispatching countless aluminum cans and cardboard boxes, and now that I know that the human body is so incredibly fragile that 9mm bullets blast the lungs right out of people, I'm confident that a .17 BB fired from an Air Rifle is adequate for Home Defense with proper shot placement, and I suspect that an Airsoft Pistol is adequate for self-defense at close-range as well.

·
Super Moderator
40,571 Posts
I was turning my nose up at .06 per 22 LR just 10 months ago or so. A nickel was my limit, now a dime is great if you can find it.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I can still get it a .06 per round locally, tomorrow is payday so I should get a couple thousand rounds if I can.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just got an email invitation from CCI to buy some 22LR Mini-Mag. As I visited the link I see that the price has risen to $12.99 per 100 round box with free shipping over $100. That's up $2.00 in the last year. Well I guess the consolation is that they at least have it to sell.
They're still selling at Wal-Mart for $10.87 for 100rds around me, when they have them in stock. I went to two different WM stores this week and had dramatically different experiences. The price was the same at both but the store closest to me had maybe a few dozen boxes of ammunition of all calibers combined and less than a handful of CCi Mini-mags. I waited there for several minutes but could not get anyone to show up at the counter. The second store was stocked wall-to-wall with a large variety of shotgun and rifle calibers (no 9mm at WM anymore) including 22lr, specifically CCi Mini-Mags. I asked a passing stock boy to call someone to wait on me and only had to wait a couple minutes for him to arrive. Any guesses which store I'll be going to from now on?

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
It's funny to think back to 2015 when I was paying $7.99 for 100 Rounds of CCI Mini Mag during an ammo shortage and that was considered crazy expensive.

·
Registered
131 Posts
IIRC back in the mid 60’s I used to buy a 50 round box is 22 shorts for cheap, cannot remember the actual price but it was silly cheap to an 8 year old.

Reactions: WoodyUSSLUCE

·
Registered
29,515 Posts
IIRC back in the mid 60’s I used to buy a 50 round box is 22 shorts for cheap, cannot remember the actual price but it was silly cheap to an 8 year old.
Not sure about shorts, but .22LR was 50¢ a box. Which is actually in line with other inflated costs. Everything is at least 10-12 times what it was in the '60s.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Wow,I used to pay something like 8 bucks for 500 when I was a kid in the 80s.This is getting unreal.
Oh, yeah, well I paid $4.99 for 500 CCi Mini-mags when I was a "kid" in the late '60s and early '70s. But I also paid $0.15 for a McDonald's cheeseburger and $0.05 for a 12oz Coke. And, in KY, I bought a carton of 8 Falls City beer for $1.00.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Ah the 5.56 short, (.22 x 25.4) maybe people are worried Joe is after them also. If shooters want to shoot and the other stuff is way expensive I'd propose they substitute the 22LR. That and a lot of entry level shooters start with 22LR.

In financial terms I'd advise 'dollar cost averaging' like your investment advisor suggests. Buy $20 every month no matter the cost. At low price you get more rounds. Quit trying to time the market. Now if you are happy with your current investments buy nothing.

It sounds meaner if we call it the 5.56 x 25. Do you designate it by the entire length 25 mm?

·
Registered
97 Posts
When I was a kid, I'd save up 2 weeks allowance to go to town and buy a box of .22LR. My allowance then was $0.25 a week. A couple years ago, I'd buy a brick when they were going for anything under $20 a brick. A look at an inflation calculator shows $.50 in 1961 is equivalent to $4.90 today. So $50 a brick is a good price now? Naw, not for this kid.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
It sounds meaner if we call it the 5.56 x 25. Do you designate it by the entire length 25 mm?
If We do that the left is going to be screaming "IT'S AN ASSAULT RIFLE, IT'S AN ASSAULT RIFLE!" and try to ban .22s, so let's not.

Reactions: RimPhyr and rhugg

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
Although my brother in law when he died had his sister sell his few guns for expenses, he left some boxes of ammo for me and I never knew what was in them until he passed away. It was all his collection of 22lr and shotgun shells, and something of his from his Korean war era service. Why me IDK, but I'm extremely grateful to him, not just for the gift but that he thought of me that way. :)

·
Supporting SuperModerator
16,098 Posts
22 LR @ 25¢/ 50 rds. When I started shooting.
But I’m old.
😂

1 - 19 of 19 Posts