Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friends,

I turn to you again with a question.

I am looking at several .22 handguns that look like a "real caliber gun". I really like my snubby CCW 851. But ammo is kind of expensive and I love shooting .22, also, it is a great great great caliber to introduce people who are afraid of firearms to shooting.

These are the models I am looking at:

Sig Sauer Mosquito
Available at the LGS. It's a "sig", looks great, but from reading I have heard that they are VERY picky with ammo, eating only CCI mini mags, which defeats the purpose of having this as a cheap-to-shoot gun.

Ruger SR22: Great gun, impossible to find.

BERSA 22
the one I know the least about, just found out about it online today, any thoughts? looks good from gunblast's review.

What are your thoughts on these?

Thank you!!

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Great choice of the 851 for your CC gun! As to the .22 pistol, I don't have experience with the models you mentioned, but have you considered the Beretta Neos? I own one (the six inch version), and it's a fantastic pistol. I looked at all the other .22 autos out there before choosing it, and IMO the Neos is the best. It is a solid, well-made pistol, it has excellent ergonomics, and it can be purchased new for less than $250. There are several other people here at the forum who own one (or more), and they will tell you the same thing.

·
Registered
36,015 Posts
The Bersa is a real winner, especially for the price at below $300.
Walther makes the p-22 that looks like a P380 to me.
the Sig and the ruger that you mention.
the one that looks the most like a full sized pistol to me is the Sig Sauer 1911-22 and the Colt 1911-22, for all practical purposes they are 1911 pistols.

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
Out of the .22LR pistols you list, andre, the only one I own is the Firestorm 22 which is virtually the same as the Bersa 22 and they are both made by Bersa.

I can't compare it to the others, but standing on its own merits it is a great .22LR pistol. It will need some break in with at least CCI Mini Mags or Winchester Power Points before you try some bulk ammo. That break in might be a few hundred rounds fired.

Compared to something like a Ruger MKIII, Ruger 22/45, or Beretta Neos, these three guns are all better finished and usually will fire more different types of junk ammo than the Bersa. Yet, the Bersa feels like a classic vest pistol with a lot of styling taken from the obvious Walther PPK and the not so obvious older Beretta pistols.

I would have to bet that the new Ruger SR22P is going to be better finished and probably eats a wider variety of ammo than the Bersa when both are brand new, but the Bersa does work very well once broken in. One downside to the Bersa is it only comes with one magazine. You have to find other mags at the Bersa webstore.

I guess you might be left with what style to choose? A classically styled pistol that is actually built exactly like its .380 kin with a metal frame, or a 21st century polymer framed Ruger that is a rimfire model only.

More photos are always good in a thread. :cool:

·
Registered
236 Posts
My Smith & Wesson 22A has somewhere between 15,000 and 20,000 realatively problem free rounds through it. It feeds and ejects everything I have ever put in it. Now, not every round fires (just part of the bargin when shooting cheap rim fire). I have had several weekend binges where she has chewed up and spit out 2,000+ rounds in a single weekend without being cleaned! A little over $200 for a new gun, and $18/500 for ammo makes for a lot of cheap fun.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
My wife had a Mosquito and it was picky on ammo, plus the trigger was hard and sights could not be adjusted to hit where you aimed.

The Ruger should be a good gun but as you say it's hard to come by and I would not buy one until they have worked the bugs out.

I have shot a Bersa 22 a couple of times and was fairly impressed, it ran fine on cheap ammo, hit close to sights and trigger was ok.

In my opinion the 22s that look like their full size counterparts always suffer, they either have combat triggers, fixed sights or are expensive for a 22. The best shooting 22 pistols are almost always are the dedicated 22 platforms. The exception is a 22 revolver, the Taurus 4" 22 tracker is a great gun for learning, snap caps give it easy dry firing practice, single action trigger is very easy to shoot well and the double action is there once you master SA, plus great sights.

Taurus International Manufacturing Inc

and Buds has it for $273 with free shipping, or the stainless for $305.

Taurus 9 Round 22 LR w/Adjustable Sights/4" Barrel/Blue Fini $273.00 SHIPS FREE

OK I think I just talked myself into one!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow this is why I like this place.

Thank you everyone, so far the winner looks to be the Bersa, the price is right on, and not as picky as the SIG.
I forgot to mention it, I have a MK3 Ruger Standard, but I took the gf shooting with it. Let's just say she likes it so much, that I no longer have a MK3 standard, this will be replacing that and I would like to go for more of a pistol look like the Bersa or the SIG.

I will be checking the funds and probably be ordering the Bersa within the week, big shout out to CHEROKEE GUNS AND PAWN in Canton, GA. These guys do FREE FFL trasnfers!

Keep the opinions coming guys, and thanks for the pictures!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Since you didn't mention the tried and true Ruger and Buckmark models, I assume you are looking for something a little different. To go along with the idea of the Sig and SR-22, have you thought about the new Smith & Wesson M&P 22? 12 round magazines and threaded barrel, if they are legal in your locality.

Joshua 24:15

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
+1 for the Bersa .22. I originally purchased the Bersa 380 and really like it, when the .22 version became available again I knew I had to have one. It is the same size, and weight as my Bersa 38 and shoots GREAT!
I would be surprised if you were disappointed with one.
I also have the S&W 22A, and Taurus 94 revolver, both nice guns for what I use them for.
YEP, I'm sort of hooked on .22s because they are so much fun to shoot!!

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
The Bersa is a real winner, especially for the price at below $300.
Walther makes the p-22 that looks like a P380 to me.
the Sig and the ruger that you mention.
the one that looks the most like a full sized pistol to me is the Sig Sauer 1911-22 and the Colt 1911-22, for all practical purposes they are 1911 pistols.
olfarhors, I am shocked! I thought for sure you would make a pitch for the Beretta Neos! Don't you own more than one? :D

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
I've been jonesin' for a Bersa Firestorm .22 as well. From the reviews owners have given, both in text and videos, I've been fairly impressed, especially at its price point. Wouldn't mind one of their 9mms or 45s either. :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Of the three mentioned, I only have experience with the Bersa. Just to get this out of the way, mine is not for sale. It's a sturdy, good shooter and a perfect understudy for the awesome Thunder .380. The T22 has a refined palate ;) and gags on junk ammo - that is the sum total of the drawbacks as I see it. MiniMags are standard fare. Other brands will work if you feed it the hot stuff, I'm talking the hotter high velocity or any hyper velocity. Yes, hyper velocity is not only OK but encouraged by the importer. Essentially, it's a Thunder .380 with a .22 barrel, mag and slide so it's certainly tough enough to handle hyper vel. 22LR. Weighs about 20 oz. or so, empty.

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Add me to the bersa crowd. Remington golden work OK in mine after I broke it in on mini mags. Federal bulk causes a few problems. But my wife keeps it with velocitors in it as her bedside gun.

For an older gun that does well is the smith 422. Its the precursor to the 22a. My father in law has one with a 4" barrell.

smith 422 pics - Google Search

I might look at the smith m&p 22 if I was looking for a full size 22 variant. You also have the issc 22 which is a glock look a like.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks again everyone! I believe this thread is valuable because everyone should have a .22 in their arsenal just to go out and shoot more, and to get new people started. I see a Bersa T22 in my future! tbh, it's between that and the SIG, I am going to fondle a Bersa today and will post the outcome.

About the M&P, I have been reading dreadful things about the material of the barrel, some are calling it pot metal. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have the Bersa .22 It's a great little gun. Perfect for trigger practice, but it is very finicky. CCI's run great. Federal and Winchester have a lot of FTE's.

·
Super Moderator
34,935 Posts
Ruger SR22: Great gun, impossible to find.
They were just introduced a month or so ago and I've already seen one in a LGS. They'll be at Academy in the not too distant future at this rate. I'd hold out for it, myself, although it is MHO that the Bersa is a worthy gun. I still like the Ruger, though, but I'm sort of a Ruger fanboy, own 7 of 'em at present.

·
Registered
36,015 Posts
olfarhors, I am shocked! I thought for sure you would make a pitch for the Beretta Neos! Don't you own more than one? :D
YEP! I own 2 of the lil devils and really , really like them, but they aren't exactly a full sized replica of anything except a "Buck Rogers Ray Gun", I am actually 22 LR poor!
2 Beretta neos, a Browning Buckmark, a Ruger MK III 22/45, a Ruger single 6.
but hey everybody neeeds 22 pistols, its like 1911's!!---Right?

·
Super Moderator
26,854 Posts
I recently shot the Neos. 200 rounds of whatever bulk we were using...think it was winchester.
As Olfahors said, looks like something from Buck Rogers and for that reason I did not like it. But when I shot it...man that gun is sweet!!!! Nice trigger, nice grip, nice balance. Just dont like the look! Will I buy one???? There are other guns above that one....but it was nice!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts