Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came across a load on the Hodgdon site for 3.1 of Titegroup w/ 55gr bullet. Anybody try this??? I wonder how it per forms @ 1100FPS!!!

BW

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
I would only try this in a good bolt gun as it is a plinker load. I think I'll stay with 4895; the light powder charge is too easily doubled by accident, then you will really have a load. :eek:

·
Administrator
17,919 Posts
Came across a load on the Hodgdon site for 3.1 of Titegroup w/ 55gr bullet. Anybody try this??? I wonder how it per forms @ 1100FPS!!!
Why bother? If I wanted that kind of performance I would just shoot a .22LR.

Reactions: Smokewagon

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
The average velocity of all my .22 LR is 1200 fps, much cheaper than .223 runs.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I load mouse fart ammo .30-30 loads using cast bullets for about that same velocity using Trail Boss. I guess if that was data for cast bullet use for plinking fun with centerfire then I could see it. But not sure why you would do that otherwise.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wasn't planning on doing it just curious as to the load & performance! Thanks for the info guys!

BW

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have no idea, but I used to load .22 Hornet, .222, and .223 reduced loads with 700X and it worked well. Be very very careful if you try using fast pistol powders in rifle cases. A double or triple charge is hard to see, especially powders like Tightgroup that are dense.

With Trail Boss available now, it is the sensible powder to use. Fill the case 100% to the base of the bullet, and have fun. (Do not compress)

A case full of Trail Boss in .458 Win Mag pushes a Hornady 350 Gr SP to almost 1200 FPS. That is around .44 Mag power from a handgun, but is a pussy cat in a near 9 pound Ruger African.

.30-30 is the same way with 110 Gr Carbine bullets A little over 1200 FPS. Mild recoil, accurate, consistent, and fun. In my .35 Remington with a 158 Gr X-Treme SWC it is also was close to 1200 FPS.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts