Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
40,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past weekend I went to Miami so I stopped at Walmart and Bass Pro to check out the ammo. Both were well stocked with .223/5.56 ammo, especially Walmart. Then I saw the price, nothing under 54¢ per round before taxes. No wonder they had so much on the shelf.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
I reload at $ .21 - .22 a round with Hornady bullets AND enjoy some very accurate rounds.
That price is calculated using the CURRENT cost of primers, powder and projectiles.

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
That's my primary reason for not owning that caliber. Too crazy expensive to enjoy shooting.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
That's my primary reason for not owning that caliber. Too crazy expensive to enjoy shooting.
Short of 22LR (also generally over priced) .223/5.56 still remains one of the more affordable rifle rounds TO shoot using commercial ammo.
Sad but true.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
7.62x39:yeahbaby01:
typically about $ .40 a round unless bought in big bulk.
Not to be a jerk but I load 300 BLK with 150 gr Hornady for $ .30 a round.

Of of course I have to bend over and pick up all that dirty brass and spend the time loading...
Steel - shoot it and forgedabotit!! ;)

Reactions: Magnum_Gauge

·
Registered
185 Posts
I regularly pick up 500 round tins Tula at my local WMs for $128.00 OTD.

About as cheap as I can find it anywhere.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
typically about $ .40 a round unless bought in big bulk.
Not to be a jerk but I load 300 BLK with 150 gr Hornady for $ .30 a round.

Of of course I have to bend over and pick up all that dirty brass and spend the time loading...
Steel - shoot it and forgedabotit!! ;)
$5.50 for 20=$.28/round. I usually order from midway so no tax and they usually have X amount off of X amount order which easily covers shipping. They frequently have sales too and I've seen it as low as $4.50/20.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
$5.50 for 20=$.28/round. I usually order from midway so no tax and they usually have X amount off of X amount order which easily covers shipping. They frequently have sales too and I've seen it as low as $4.50/20.

I was figuring $7 per 20 - a common price around here - also sold my SKS and AK so I may be a bit out of touch. Good pricing indeed.

Now - I'm off to the range and will be posting some .223 targets (hmmm, may as well grab the 300 as well) soon in the monthly rifle shootout...
:cool:

Reactions: Magnum_Gauge

·
Super Moderator
40,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Have not seen the Tula in local Walmart yet.

·
Super Moderator
40,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I reload at $ .21 - .22 a round with Hornady bullets AND enjoy some very accurate rounds.
That price is calculated using the CURRENT cost of primers, powder and projectiles.
Reloading is the way to go, I was just a little surprised that it has not come down some with all the 35¢/round or less deals online. Almost makes me want to sell the 5.56 factory ammo I have stashed away that I purchased for around 28¢/round a while back.

Reactions: mingaa

·
Registered
36,310 Posts
Reactions: Fishinkeylargo

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
If I can get .223 for around 40-45 cents a round, that's fine. Do I like it? Not sure -- do I want to shoot my M4 rifle? Yes, I do.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts