Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a 22 plinker. I like the way the sig mosquito b looks and the ruger mkII looks. Also a fan of the walther p-22. Any suggestions, pros,cons? Thanks in advance for your opinions. (btw,my girlfriend wants to get into shooting and this would be a primary gun for her)

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Interested on the answers too. I'd like a ruger takedown for a number of reasons including portability but the prices are too high right now. So in also looking at a regular 10/22, and a mossberg 702 and 715t

like you, mainly for plinking, a few varmints and my wife and daughter to enjoy.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Handgun? Ruger SR-22. Heard nothing but good things about it. Takes about any ammo that you feed it. Safety decocker, adjustable sights and backstraps. Should be available around 300 at most places. Once I have my taxes done, and all the bills paid for the next few months - I am in for one. I would stay away from the Mosquito. Heard some stories (from the internet, where else?) about them jamming and having feed problems. Ruger MK II is not a bad pistol either.

Rifle.. Mossberg 702 Plinkster. I already have one. No problems with it at all. Should be available for around 1 bill at your local.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I have two Browning Buckmarks and a Taurus 990. All are reliable, fun, and easy to shoot!

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Shiftace ... +1 on the Mossberg Plinkster. Absolutely great gun for relatively cheap money.

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
If you want a true fullsize, grab a GSG 1911 in 22. I have one and love it. Can be had for around $350. Another fullsize with good reviews is the Smith and Wesson m&p 22. I haven't shot one yet. I also have a Bersa 22 that is awesome. Its a little smaller but perfect for my wife.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
I can stand behind a Walther P22. Its is an accurate little gun and you can customize it all day long. You can get the 3.5 and 5 inch barrel kit. I beleive the Ruger SR22 is based off the P22. Both should be great guns.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I am likely the minority here....but I love my Mosquito. It eats anything with fmj or hollowpoint, never had a single issue.

I've put over 3000 rounds through it...usually in batches of over 100.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

·
Super Moderator
40,725 Posts
I have not seen a .22lr I don't like. :D Browning Buckmark is my favorite. S&W 2214 is fun to shoot. GSG 1911 is another fun one. Get what fits your budget and feels comfortable to you. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
37,357 Posts
I assume that we are talking 22 pistols?
well a lot depends on what you want to pay for the enjoyment of the lil rimfire!
IF you want to extend your shooting time with a minimum of bullets used then get a 22 revolver like the Ruger single six, there are also some othe lesser priced manufactures out there like the Heritage rough rider but honestly 1 Ruger single 6 is a lifetime purchase, you ain't ever gonna wear it out!
in semi autoes to me the best buy is the Beretta Neos, blue at about 179-189, stainless at about 259-269, adjustable sights, extremely ergonomical,catchy looks, acessory rail built in, a breeze to take down and clean.
My 2 favorites are the Browning Buckmark and then the Ruger Mark lll with bull barrel, both are very accurate weapons with adjustable sights but pricey.
a full sized baby 1911 is nice at about 389-400 as well., this ones a SIG.
here some eye candy for ya!

Attachments

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Interested on the answers too. I'd like a ruger takedown for a number of reasons including portability but the prices are too high right now. So in also looking at a regular 10/22, and a mossberg 702 and 715t

like you, mainly for plinking, a few varmints and my wife and daughter to enjoy.
The Mossberg 702 is affordable, lightweight (4lbs) with 10 round external magazines ($15 ea). The iron sights are good (and fully adjustable. I've had a red dot sight on it (fun!) and currently have a Simmons 22Magnum 3-9 x 32 scope on it - just saw it on Amazon for $42.XX - less than I paid. Here's 2 50 yd targets (sitting and standing) and a 3 shot group at 100 yds. The gun is big bang for the buck as is the Marlin 60 and the Ruger!

Line art Circle
Circle
Circle Line art

If you zoom in the text box top figure is the group size. I paid $130 out the door - they have been found for less!

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
I just got a new ruger MKIII 22/45 rp (rp= removal grips) for $297 including shipping. so far 200 rounds through it with no problems. I have a MKII goverment target that is over 20 years old round count is unknown but a lot. either is a gun for a lifetime Randy

22/45 on top MkII on bottom

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Good suggestions all around, really, but here's my two cents: My wife was at best cool to guns when we started dating, but I took her to the range, taught her the basics, and then turned her loose with Ruger MkII Target and she had a great time. She's now an awfully good shot, has four pistols of her own, and is showing an interest in rifles.

That said, she has a soft spot for the MkII/MkIIIs. Also, she dearly loves her Walther P22. So, I'd say you can't go wrong with those.

In addition, I'd have to throw in another vote for the M&P22 because, while the wife hasn't fired mine yet, she is really pleased with her fullsize M&P (the ergos on these things are great; I *love* mine), and the 22 is literally the spitting image of the fullsize. I've held both pistols side-by-side, and there is no discernible difference in weight or size and the controls are all the same; you'd be hard pressed to tell them apart just by feel or from a distance. So, it could be a great stepping off point for moving up to something larger later; it would make for a near seamless transition to any of the M&Ps or the Shields. Plus, it's actually made for S&W by Walther and when you strip it down, it is essentially a modified P22 wrapped in an M&P's clothing.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Another good one is the Bersa Thunder 22. This is a good beginner platform. Once comfy, move up to the .380. :)

Reactions: chicharrones

·
Registered
9,208 Posts
I'll give a nod to the Walther P22 as well, I love mine because it feels like a real gun in hand and not a toy like my tiny PT-22 Poly. The P22 also has an option to swap out to a 5 inch barrel for even better accuracy than what it already gives. Comes with swappable backstraps (2), front sights (3) and you can slap a laser on the front of it that perfectly follows the contours of the pistol. Picked mine up NIB from the used case for $325 a few months back.

·
Super Moderator
40,725 Posts
dan wesson 22 pistol pac

Okay rub it in, make us all feel inferior! :D Kiddin a side I really like it. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Ruger SR-22. They just came out with two new versions. One with a stainless slide and one with a threaded barrel. Good luck finding them though.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Ruger SR-22. They just came out with two new versions. One with a stainless slide and one with a threaded barrel. Good luck finding them though.
I called the local (one town over). In stock. 329. :) Black version.

Maybe one in my future?? :rolleyes: Sure am tempted.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts