Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the weather was nice enough to get outside, I have been becoming more familiar with my Tracker 22 magnum with the 6 1/2 inch barrel. I decided to do some penetration tests on some of the 22 magnum ammo I had on hand, so I cut up a piece of 1x8 pine into 16 inch pieces and screwed them together so I had 8 thicknesses. From approx 24 feet, I got some interesting results.

The Hornady Critical Defence penetrated 3 1/2 boards ( approx 2 1/2 inch). It expanded some, but mostly to one side, and skewed sideways close to the end of travel.

The CCI hollow point penetrated 4 1/4 boards (approx 3 1/4 inches), but no noticeable expansion.

The Remington ballistic tip penetrated 5 3/4 boards (approx 4 1/4 inch) surprisingly though there was no noticeable expansion.

The Hornady ballistic tip penetrated 7 1/2 boards (approx. 4 1/4 inches), but again, no noticeable expansion.

I was quite surprised at the lack of expansion of the ballistic tips.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
21,527 Posts
Thanks for the report and pics. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks *******, I was surprised at the lack of expansion, but that makes sense. Now I am curious, I will have to figure out a way to test. Maybe a very large wet sponge!! You come up with strange things to try when you are an old retired geezer.:noworktomorrow:eek:r any other day.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Put a water bottle full of water or any liquid in front of your wood. A gallon will expand them usually about as much as they will expand. Fill a large plastic bucket with old phone books and then fill it with water. Shoot with the water and books in the bucket. You will get expansion. Have fun.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Hollow and most plastic tip will usually not expand in wood. They expand from the fluid in flesh. Shoot the same rounds in water or liquid and you should get different results. The Hornady XTP for example out of my 454 will punch through several inches of wood with no expansion. In fluid or game they expand perfectly.
Yup, Try some wet phone books or magazines....

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
Wood doesn't get out of the way like flesh/gel to give the bullet room to expand. 22 mag out of 6.5" is good stuff.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did not have any phone books around, or magazines, but decided to make the most of a nice day. I took a pound and a half coffee can filled it with silica sand, then saturated it with water. The two V-tips just blunted and abraded some. The two hollow points mushroomed quite nicely. Will check around for some old magazines or phone books next time I get to town

Attachments

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Thanks *******, I was surprised at the lack of expansion, but that makes sense. Now I am curious, I will have to figure out a way to test. Maybe a very large wet sponge!! You come up with strange things to try when you are an old retired geezer.:noworktomorrow:eek:r any other day.
This is an OUTSTANDING idea! I don't know if it would have any scientific value, but I'm betting you'd get some really interesting results.
Yes, a large, VERY wet sponge, maybe inside a zip-loc bag to hold the water... yes, I see some sponges getting mutilated soon...

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Sir, you will find different things have different effects on bullets. The same bullet at different velocities performed different. For example with the 22 long rifle hollow point using same ammo and different guns. Starting with a 2" barrel revolver and working up to a 15" barrel revolver the difference in expansion is noticeable. Same with 357 in 2" to 12" with 158 grain hollow points. A simple expansion test for handguns under 41 mag can be made from a 5 gallon plastic bucket. Cut a 3" hole in the side centered from top to bottom. Use thick cardboard inside bucket to cover hole. Put a heavy garbage bag inside bucket. You can use phone books, newspaper, etc. to fill the bag. Thick soft cover books, newspaper etc. put in standing with center of hole covered by center of books etc. Fill as tight as possible and fill with water, let soak a few hours. When filled right a hot load 158 grain 357 from a 10" barrel does not exit. Just filling with water without the paper will catch some low velocity rounds. Filled with sand and then water catches some impressive loads but expansion is not as good as wet paper.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I plan to try that in the near future. Been wondering about rolling newspapers tight in a bucket and packing them down. I can get old papers pretty much for the hauling away. It may be a while though, I have been doing this while waiting for parts for the 73 year old tractor I am working on, and it looks like our unseasonably warm weather may be about to change to the point an old man with arthritis does not want to spend much time outside shooting unless necessary. As to necessary, I am unofficially the neighborhood varmint hunter, and the Remington and Hornady ballistic tips are my ammunition of choice for my old Marlin up to 100 maybe125 yards. The Taurus revolver is mostly a toy for carrying on a walk when the squirrels and rabbits get thick enough to be a nuisance, which they do sometimes in this area. The size of it is not the handiest for carrying when walking, but with my age, eyesight, and arthritis I need everything I can get in my favor. :D The weight and length between sights helps a lot.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
For news paper roll it like you were making a short fire place log and stack them with the end in the bottom of the bucket. Soak them a couple hours. They swell as they soak up water. Don't under estimate the 22 mag from a handgun. My old Ruger revolvers have killed several coyotes and ground hogs over the years.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts