Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Taurus has a nice selection of 22lr revolvers. the 94 is most prolific with two different finishes and three different barrel lengths. Many members of this forum own the 94 and speak highly of its abilities. I own a 22 Tracker and really enjoy the heftness and solid feel of this 45 oz monster but I realize that its not a 22lr for everyone. As Gray Wolf said, if you don't own a 22 you should. Cheap to shoot, great for teaching others and a "must have" in any gun collection.

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
Wait til you try to find one.

I have only seen one in gun shops locally or online in months. If they are available, somewhere, they are asking more for them than a 38 or 357 of the same size, and barrel length.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Robby said:
Wait til you try to find one.

I have only seen one in gun shops locally or online in months. If they are available, somewhere, they are asking more for them than a 38 or 357 of the same size, and barrel length.
Robby is correct. The 9 shot 94 is a difficult creature to find. Gallery of Guns has them on ocassion but they don't last long. Come to think of it none of Taurus' 22lr revolvers last long. I waited a couple of weeks for them to stock the Tracker 22 and the few they got in were gone within a day. Says something about the Taurus 22 if you as me.

·
15,931 Posts
You can barely find the Commanche, or Charter 22lr and not very many of those for more than a few hours it seems. If I want to pay twice what M94 goes for I can get a S&W I think.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Robby said:
You can barely find the Commanche, or Charter 22lr and not very many of those for more than a few hours it seems. If I want to pay twice what M94 goes for I can get a S&W I think.
Just checked Buds. He has both the 2" and 4" 94's in blue and satin in stock. $324 gets you the blued version pick your barrel length and $362 gets you the same deal in satin. Yea they ain't cheap considering my large framed 608 .357 was less than a $100 more than blued version of the 94. But on the other side of the coin, for the money spent you'll fire a heck of a lot more rounds out of the 22 than any larger caliber.

When I go to the range I'll put a hundred or so rounds of 9mm a hundred rounds of .38 special and few wheels of .357 down range. Then I kick back and blast a few hundred rounds of 22's just because their cheap and still alot of fun to shoot. When you consider how much you'll shoot a 22, the price becomes more realistic and affordable.

·
15,931 Posts
There is the rub! I bought a 9mm PT111 for $300 total cost as I remember, I bought a Rossi 461 357 for $283 tax and all. Only once have I seen the 94 for under $300, and usually over $350. So they are popular, even with a heavy gritty DA trigger pull. I would feel like a fool to pay more for one of those than the other guns I bought.
So I picked up a SA cowboy gun in 22lr/mag for under $200. Not quite as satisfying as the DA, 94, but will have to do until I find one at a more reasonable price. I just keep looking, and I know the price I will be willing to pay for it.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
I own an M94 and have owned 2 others in the past. They're fine little revolvers but not what most would consider inexpensive. Along with the advice already rendered, I'll also recommend you look on www.gunbroker.com and see if they have any M94, offerings, they usually do. And perhaps look around and see if they have any Tracker .22s as well. The last one I saw there was a blued model with a starting price of $300.

·
Registered
294 Posts
For a real treat see if you can find a model 96 somewhere. :D

I had a Dan Wesson .22 back in the mid 80's. Someone had modified it to shoot double action only. I had it for a couple of months and traded it off on some forgotten something. I truly wish I had that pistol back. As a nice, hefty 4 inch barrel it would have been a perfect beginners gun. :-[

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Have no fear, Qwiks is here! :D

Speaking of homework, I think that dbsoundguy needs another assignment. He's a glutton for punishment. :p

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just picked up my 94 4" stainless for $325. The price included $25 worth of range fees. Keep in mind any S&W .22lr revolver will go for twice as much. I consider this a good deal.

·
32,737 Posts
That it is BoyScout. That it is. Now you'll have to give us a obligatory range report.

Don't you love it? We made a reason and excuse all rolled into one as to why go have fun and burn up some rimfire ammo.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Finally got my new Model 94 .22LR Ultra-Lite out to the range. I love it. Shoots great, though the trigger pull is a bit stiff. Hard hammar spring I guess.

But I shot loose the notched rear sight blade, first time out shooting. Pretty bummed about that. It was at an outdoor range, so I couldn't find the missing part. Now I have to replace it. Oh yay. (Where I can buy a rear sight blade for it?)

SM

·
Registered
74 Posts
Slotman said:
Finally got my new Model 94 .22LR Ultra-Lite out to the range. I love it. Shoots great, though the trigger pull is a bit stiff. Hard hammar spring I guess.

But I shot loose the notched rear sight blade, first time out shooting. Pretty bummed about that. It was at an outdoor range, so I couldn't find the missing part. Now I have to replace it. Oh yay. (Where I can buy a rear sight blade for it?)

SM
Slotman,

The trigger will improve with age, though it helps to either spray out the internals with carb cleaner and blow dry with compressed air (recommended), or remove the side plate and clean each part by hand.

Too bad about the lost sight. One of my M94's came in the box with a loose rear sight. Fortunately I noticed it and tightened it down before a trip to the range.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts