Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you folks ever put a 22 conversion kit on your Taurus 1911?

I'm thinking about picking up a 1911 (never had one) and a conversion kit for plinking and target shooting in the back yard.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I bought a Kimber 22 conversion about 2 months ago but haven't had a chance to fire it on the PT1911. I have put it on the PT1911 frame and it's a tight fit, may take some break in time. It works great on my Kimber Pro Carry II as long as I use high velocity ammo.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have (and use weekly) the Ceiner Conversion Kit ($199 from Brownells). Two reasons to go with the Ceiner: 1 - 15 round mag instead of 10 rnd mag; 2 - It works. I tried a Kimber conversion kit, but found out that the "Firing Pin Block Lever" on the Taurus would not allow me to drop the hammer on the Kimber.

After doing some research, I found this was because of the design of the lever - basically, it has to be able to move vertically. The Ceiner kit has a slot for it, but the Kimber does not (because Kimber 1911's don't have that feature).

Word of warning: Buy from a dealer (like Brownells) that has a decent return policy. Ceiner has a CRAPPY return policy and implementation. I got a bad spare mag from Brownells, and they replaced it, no questions asked, and refunded my shipping for the return.

All in all, I love the Ceiner kit, and for $100 less than the other kits out there, you can't beat the price. I paid for the kit with the money saved by my second WalMart Federal .22 lr 550 rnd brick (mine likes the federal .22, so that's what I stick with).

Just my .02

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ditto that. I was just about to ask the same question 'til I started looking through the threads. I was just curious if the PT was close enough to the std. 1911 that the conversion kits out there would work.

I have an Advantage Arms (AA) Conversion for my Glock 30, and it works "OK." Even with the recommended ammo tho', I still get an occasional FTF.

Ciener and AA are the only two I am familiar with, and from what I've read, Ciener's has its own set of issues too - as mentioned above. Also, if I remember correctly, Ciener's doesn't latch the slide back after the last round fired. Is that correct?? I know the AA conversion does.

Mine is the Ellett Bros. Homeland Defender version with the Crimson Trace grips, and I love it. I've probably put ~1000 rounds of various ACP through it with no hiccups what-so-ever. Figured I'd turn frugal and see if the .22LR conversion kits worked.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I finally got around to getting a ciener conversion from Brownel's. Put it on this afternoon and tried to put a couple of rounds through it.

The rounds coming out of the mag are hanging up on the feed ramp and not going into battery. Fired round ejects fine, but new round hangs up nose on ramp.

Hopefully a polish job will cure that little problem.

·
Registered
54 Posts
i might have to get one of these conversion kits........hummmmmmmm this hobby is like buying chrome for my harley at least a 100 bill or more....lol

·
Registered
126 Posts
I started with the AA Target kit (it's supposed to be WAY better than the AA Standard kit). Then I got 4 extra mags, standard velocity spring kit, scope rail, another barrel (to leave the scope rail attached to), Ultra dot scope and Weaver low rings (the rings w/scope were UGLY).
Yup, kinda like your Harley, Things snowballed real fast. :)
Oh well, it's done now and shoots real sweet. :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I finally got around to trying my conversion out and it does not want to feed at all. I thought at first it was hanging up on the feed ramp, but after polishing it I still had a problem.

If I cycle the slide slowly by hand it will feed fine but not under fire. The new round does not seem to be coming up out of the mag as it should.

Any one else have a similar problem?

·
Registered
259 Posts
1SourceWeb said:
I have (and use weekly) the Ceiner Conversion Kit ($199 from Brownells). Two reasons to go with the Ceiner: 1 - 15 round mag instead of 10 rnd mag; 2 - It works. I tried a Kimber conversion kit, but found out that the "Firing Pin Block Lever" on the Taurus would not allow me to drop the hammer on the Kimber.

After doing some research, I found this was because of the design of the lever - basically, it has to be able to move vertically. The Ceiner kit has a slot for it, but the Kimber does not (because Kimber 1911's don't have that feature).

Word of warning: Buy from a dealer (like Brownells) that has a decent return policy. Ceiner has a CRAPPY return policy and implementation. I got a bad spare mag from Brownells, and they replaced it, no questions asked, and refunded my shipping for the return.

All in all, I love the Ceiner kit, and for $100 less than the other kits out there, you can't beat the price. I paid for the kit with the money saved by my second WalMart Federal .22 lr 550 rnd brick (mine likes the federal .22, so that's what I stick with).

Just my .02
Whats the part number that fits the taurus.
Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts