Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To register and build an SBR. Something that is no different than any other rifle except in length. $200 just for the ok to do something that shouldn't need approval. You can't really change it when you send in the form as the exact length has to be on the form. If you decide to sell or trade it you have to go through another hassle. That $200 is several hundred rounds of ammo depending on the caliber. It is completely not worth the time or trouble for the cost. Now that I have that out of my system ill get to my question.

Why in the world am I so tempted to do it?:D

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Why in the world am I so tempted to do it?
You don't need a reason. Just do it.
I would if I could, but I can't so I won't. They are not legal in this state.
If I had the money I'd DD my flare launchers. They, at least, are legal here.

·
Super Moderator
35,081 Posts
To register and build an SBR. Something that is no different than any other rifle except in length. $200 just for the ok to do something that shouldn't need approval. You can't really change it when you send in the form as the exact length has to be on the form. If you decide to sell or trade it you have to go through another hassle. That $200 is several hundred rounds of ammo depending on the caliber. It is completely not worth the time or trouble for the cost. Now that I have that out of my system ill get to my question.

You'll need a 12" suppressor to keep from blowing your ears out and another 200 bucks to register that. Not sure the point? :D

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You don't need a reason. Just do it.
I would if I could, but I can't so I won't. They are not legal in this state.
If I had the money I'd DD my flare launchers. They, at least, are legal here.
That's a good thing about TN. Its the only state with a law that requires the Sheriff or Cheif to sign the form no matter what if you pass the background check.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
A word of caution on SBRs....BIG BIG FLASH!
Yep - a lot of folks think they will be great HD room sweepers but...and that's WITH a flash hider. Finding the right one can take time and $$!

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
This is why I sincerely hope Sig and any other company that makes an arm brace get together and give it to the ATF with both barrels. If I was at SHOT show right now that's the first booth I'd go to. Have a little discussion with them about the latest stupid letter that they sent out. If they keep at it we won't be able to shoot a handgun with two hands without filling out a form one first!

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is why I sincerely hope Sig and any other company that makes an arm brace get together and gives it to the ATF with both barrels. If I was at SHOT show right now that's the first booth I'd go to. Have a little discussion with them about the latest stupid letter that they sent out. If they keep at it we won't be able to shoot a handgun with two hands without filling out a form one first!
Yep. I was all content to go with the sig brace on the next build until their latest contradiction. Which brings the question if you just have the standard pistol tube and shoulder it does it become an sbr too?

·
Registered
13,951 Posts

Would you like to have my sons phone number? Maybe the two of you can form a support group. His application was just rubber stamped yesterday via the online confirmation process.

And if I recall, part of the cost is because you are actually becoming a manufacture of the firearm. Don't forget to have it properly engraved as such.

·
Super Moderator
40,514 Posts
Yep. I was all content to go with the sig brace on the next build until their latest contradiction. Which brings the question if you just have the standard pistol tube and shoulder it does it become an sbr too?
If the ATF wants it to be then yes.

Reactions: mingaa

·
Registered
24,960 Posts

You may want to ask Randy Weaver that question...

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
Doesn't everyone who isn't a gangsta pretty much always shoot their handguns with a two-hand grip anyway?

·
Registered
832 Posts
That seems to be the general consensus in the online forums.

I'm staying with the Brace for now. I live too close to the State line and shoot on both sides of it to SBR mine. Written permission to cross with specific times is ludicrous!

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have a AR pistol with 7.5 5.56 barrel, haven't shot it at night to see what the flash is like, but I will say it is loud. I have the brace on it and was already thinking about making it SBR, now I think that I will. Love the little bugger, lots a fun to shoot, fast handling. I had a compensator on it for a short time, even with muffs it was extremely loud to shoot and anyone along side would move way behind me when I fired, removed and went with the birdcage. As far as taking SBR's across state lines, you have to fill out a form telling where you are going but, the good part is it is free to do and you can fill them out for a year at a time. If you know where you are traveling for the next year just file them for the year and your good to go. If you want to know more about it go to ar15.com or silencertalk.com. As for the company doing anything about the brace, they can't and wont, because it was never intended to be a stock and the original use is still legal.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I have a AR pistol with 7.5 5.56 barrel, haven't shot it at night to see what the flash is like, but I will say it is loud. I have the brace on it and was already thinking about making it SBR, now I think that I will. Love the little bugger, lots a fun to shoot, fast handling. I had a compensator on it for a short time, even with muffs it was extremely loud to shoot and anyone along side would move way behind me when I fired, removed and went with the birdcage. As far as taking SBR's across state lines, you have to fill out a form telling where you are going but, the good part is it is free to do and you can fill them out for a year at a time. If you know where you are traveling for the next year just file them for the year and your good to go. If you want to know more about it go to ar15.com or silencertalk.com. As for the company doing anything about the brace, they can't and wont, because it was never intended to be a stock and the original use is still legal.

If Sig and the others don't at least try to do something then they are flat out stupid. I'm sure they had at least somewhat of an idea what people would do with them when they were brought to market. As for the other stuff.... Well.... You're actually okay with that? I'm not. No one should have to through any of that.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I would not. I cant think of a single use (practical use) for a SBR ... if you want a short barrel, get an AR pistol. Then buy $200 worth of ammo! Or two used hi-points !! Bahaha

Creek

1 - 20 of 46 Posts