Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the range with my buddy last week, and was having a great time shooting my Smith and Wesson Performance Center 627 .357 mag. I ran about 150 rounds of Winchester White box .38 special through it. My buddy wanted to shoot it so I handed it to him, and asked him if he needed ammo? He said I got some (also Winchester white box). He started shooting, and was having a great time when he had a squib. I have heard of them but never witnessed one. I was standing behind him watching and saw it. I stopped him and opened the cylinder and there it was stuck in the barrel of my $1,000.00 plus gun was the projectile. I said man am I glad I stopped you before you squeezed of another, and kaboom! I got a rod, and commenced to smacking it out. Handed it back to him, and less than 5 rounds later he had another squib. Smacked it out, and decided then and there that WWB in the .38 special chambering would no longer be run in my wheel guns.
Then I got home and did some research, and to my amazement this is an alarming trend for WWB. How is it that a company as large, and well respected as Winchester, can't seem to load there bullets with enough powder to get the projectile all the way out of the pipe? That seems a bit dangerous, and quite a liability to me! For the record I would like to say that Winchester in my opinion is a GREAT company to be sure! They have a long history steeped in the tradition of American Sportsman. I will continue to buy their products, just not the elcheapo/crappie Wal-Mart junk. I will stick with their ranger and such. Have any of my brothers here had this experience? A word to the wise if you are currently running this ammo in your wheel gun, google it and read in amazement!

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Thanks for the info, I will also keep this in mind when purchasing ammo for my 38 special.:)

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Seems like Winchester has really been having some issues in the past year. About six months ago I got a value pack of WWB in 45 acp, and had a 10% failure rate. I struck each of the offending rounds four times in my PT145, and four more in my 1911 with no bangs. Bonafide duds. And if that wasn't bad enough, I got the same failure rate with supposedly premium Ranger T's that were purchased around the same time. My solution was simple - Federal 230 grains for practice, and 200 grain speer gold dots for SD. No more Winchester for this kid.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am surprised that kind of problem with Winchester ammo, regardless of where it was bought. Might expect it with some of the foreign stuff out there.

·
Registered
36,115 Posts
Did you save the remaining ammo, get the lot number and contact the company?
if you are really concerned about the safety of your fellow gunnners then you should report this as they may wish to issue a recall.
save the remaining ammo to sent to them for inspection as well.
Generally when you have squib its not a matter of not enough powder but the case was missed and there is no powder in it.
As for where it was bought or what the design of the ammo, it basically all goes down the same line as I understand it, they don't have a special line for wally world ammo, and then a special line for self defense , and a special line for target ammo, they load it in large lots and then make changes and run another lot as i understand it.

·
Registered
29,862 Posts
Not trying to upset the apple cart, but I finished teaching an FDLE Firearms Instructor course today.

My students fired 8,000 rounds of WW white box without a hitch.

We've had great service from this particular brand.

Possibly a bad lot got distributed to Wally World.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you save the remaining ammo, get the lot number and contact the company?
if you are really concerned about the safety of your fellow gunnners then you should report this as they may wish to issue a recall.
save the remaining ammo to sent to them for inspection as well.
Generally when you have squib its not a matter of not enough powder but the case was missed and there is no powder in it.
As for where it was bought or what the design of the ammo, it basically all goes down the same line as I understand it, they don't have a special line for wally world ammo, and then a special line for self defense , and a special line for target ammo, they load it in large lots and then make changes and run another lot as i understand it.
Yeah my buddy owns the ammo that it happened with, and is doing that very thing. He is going to contact them, and send the remaining portion in for inspection. On the web many guys have said that they are very cordial and send out coupons for free ammo for your troubles. He said he would use the coupon for their better grade ammo.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not trying to upset the apple cart, but I finished teaching an FDLE Firearms Instructor course today.

My students fired 8,000 rounds of WW white box without a hitch.

We've had great service from this particular brand.

Possibly a bad lot got distributed to Wally World.
I agree my friend in part. I have fired litteally tens of thousands of rounds out of my auto's chambered in 9mm! I have never had an issue with those. However seeing is believing. I won't be running their .38 special anymore for sure. Check it out on the web. Lot's of cases of this happening. It is an obvious issue that they will need to work on. They will fix the problem, as they can't afford not to!

·
Registered
535 Posts
Had the same thing happen with WWB in my Glock 17 9mm. My friend was shooting it and I heard an underpowered shot and stopped him. Some unburnt gun powder fell out when I racked the slide to the rear. The bullet was lodged about a half inch in the barrel. I didn't give it much thought since I shoot a lot of .22's and am used to squibbs/duds but I did think it was unusual to see that in center fire ammo.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Since 1971 when I started shooting center fire pistols I've fired god only knows how many rounds - but there have been many. In all that time I've encountered exactly one squib. That was from a box of reloads that I'm pretty sure were loaded on a progressive press that didn't drop the powder for that particular round. I've never encountered one in commercial ammo, and just hearing about several folks who have gotten squibs from Winchester along with the duds that I personally experienced doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling. I wouldn't hesitate to use it for practice, but no more Winchesters for self defense for me.

And just a note about my squib - I was shooting my TA90/TZ75 when I pulled the trigger and got a little pop. I stopped, cleared the pistol and disassembled it, and there was a jacketed round about half way down the barrel. I went out to the counter (it was an indoor range), and told the clerk what happened and asked if he had a rod I could borrow. He lent me a rod, and he also reached under the counter and pulled out a shoe box that was full to the top with blown barrels. I may not have encountered many squibs, but obviously someone was seeing them. The moral of the story is, if you pull the trigger and it doesn't sound right, stop what you're doing and make sure your barrel is clear.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts