Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got pt1911's with different marks. Does anyone have insight about the differences? The grips are different as well. Don't know if it's a generational change or on hand stock thing. Was impressed by both and shot them better than the sig p220 Ive had for a long time.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
The bottom one is newer production.Other than that I can't tell you what is different.I surmise not much.

·
Registered
36,893 Posts
mostly cosmetic changes!
depends on how old "the old one is".
a while back the factory sights were Two Dot Heinies and they then went to Novak Style sights.
changes in grip design and doing away with the huge logo on the slide were recent changes.
I don't know of any internal changes really.
they discontinued the light weight frames and the 38 Super caliber some time back as well.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
As far as I know the changes are only cosmetic.

In the top photo the top pistol is the newer roll mark for the slide. I have 2 older PT1911s that have the roll mark like the bottom pistol. This photo is from the current web page.

new 1911 roll mark.JPG

·
Premium Member
11,246 Posts
The "Bull's Head" grip would be the newer model pistol. It's all just cosmetic. It looks like they've gone back to the billboard slide. At least they're not putting fins on it.

And by the way, welcome to the best gun forum on the net.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
The "Bull's Head" grip would be the newer model pistol. It's all just cosmetic. It looks like they've gone back to the billboard slide. At least they're not putting fins on it.

And by the way, welcome to the best gun forum on the net.
Perhaps I'm missing something or maybe the website is out of date but the pistol on top in the 1st photo is the newer model, like the photo I copied from their current web site. The pistol on top does not have the bulls head grips and has the small logo roll mark at the back of the slide. The model on the bottom has the bulls head grip and is the older model like the 5 to 6 year old models I own. The photo I copied from their website does not have the billboard roll mark on the slide.
https://www.taurususa.com/gun-selector-results.cfm?series=19&toggle=tp

·
Registered
36,893 Posts
at one time Taurus produced the "PIMP" model of PT1911, it was either shiny blue with gold accents or polished stainless with gold accents,
those sometimes could be found with the wooden Bulls head grips, sometimes with the plastic grips.
they don't make the PIMP models anymore and I haven't seen an instock PT1911 with bulls head wooden grips in quite some time as well.
I did notice that it seemed the pictures of the new Commander and Officers models of PT1911 they had added the banner back to the slide.
now I haven't seen one of those models instock anywhere so I am going by printed advertisement.
I wouldn't puta lot of faith in pictures found on the Taurus website, its not at all uncommon for them to be outdated or incorrect.
IF this hasn't confused you more let me know and I will throw out some more taurus trivia.

Reactions: oso

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
They've changed things around so often the forum is confused....

The Bulls Head logo on the grips is the newer logo, assuming the grips weren't changed out. I thought they dropped the Taurus banner on the slide, but now it's back?

·
Registered
36,893 Posts
Agreed!
Notice I said "WOODEN" Bulls Head grips, not the plast--ahh Polymer ones!

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
at one time Taurus produced the "PIMP" model of PT1911, it was either shiny blue with gold accents or polished stainless with gold accents,
those sometimes could be found with the wooden Bulls head grips, sometimes with the plastic grips.
they don't make the PIMP models anymore and I haven't seen an instock PT1911 with bulls head wooden grips in quite some time as well.
I did notice that it seemed the pictures of the new Commander and Officers models of PT1911 they had added the banner back to the slide.
now I haven't seen one of those models instock anywhere so I am going by printed advertisement.
I wouldn't puta lot of faith in pictures found on the Taurus website, its not at all uncommon for them to be outdated or incorrect.
IF this hasn't confused you more let me know and I will throw out some more taurus trivia.
You are probably right about that! Heck wasn't it just a year or 2 back that they got rid of the billboard on the slide? Now it's possible they brought it back?! And it looked so nice without it!

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I bought a PT 1911 on DEC 11th 2017 the pistol was born on NOV 29th 2017 it came with the same grips as the top PT 1911 it has the Taurus logo on the left rear of the slide and has the serrations on front and rear of the slide. So I would say the bottom PT1911 is the newer of the two. On the right side of the slide it has the the S/N under the ejector port and farther up towards the front of the slide is stamped PT 1911
45 ACP
I couldn't be more happy with the way it performs with the right load it is more accurate than I am, and I have a few pet loads for it

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
I bought a PT 1911 on DEC 11th 2017 the pistol was born on NOV 29th 2017 it came with the same grips as the top PT 1911 it has the Taurus logo on the left rear of the slide and has the serrations on front and rear of the slide. So I would say the bottom PT1911 is the newer of the two. On the right side of the slide it has the the S/N under the ejector port and farther up towards the front of the slide is stamped PT 1911
45 ACP
I couldn't be more happy with the way it performs with the right load it is more accurate than I am, and I have a few pet loads for it
It's almost like they have combined parts of both designs. Maybe? My 5+ year old models have the billboard and the Taurus round logo on the left side of the slide. The serial number is just below the ejection port, it says PT1911 towards the muzzle on the right side of the slide, they have serrations front and rear. I don't remember what the grips had on them since I put aftermarket grips on them. The OE grips are around somewhere but I'm not going looking for them. So maybe Taurus has changed the layout once again! Personally I preferred the clean look of no billboard.

Ok OP it's up to you! Put the serial numbers in the link I provided and find out what the born on dates are! It's a mystery I need to know the answer too! Of course none of this makes any difference to the performance of a great pistol.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Well I have to say my original statement was wrong after looking at the photos, on the Taurus website, of the Commander and Officer models. They look like the OPs full size. The full size still shows photos of the older design. So it would appear that after what 2 years Taurus has changed the markings on the 1911. The new "billboard" on the left side is much better looking than the old billboard like on my PT1911s. Anyway, OP, enjoy your new PT1911s! I do wish you would run the serial numbers and tell us the born on date!

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
mostly cosmetic changes!
depends on how old "the old one is".
a while back the factory sights were Two Dot Heinies and they then went to Novak Style sights.
changes in grip design and doing away with the huge logo on the slide were recent changes.
I don't know of any internal changes really.
they discontinued the light weight frames and the 38 Super caliber some time back as well.
Which I think was a mistake it seems like there are quite a few people on this forum that about one of they still offered them Citadel quit making them in 2014 so 38 Super 's in the price range are getting slim

·
Registered
36,893 Posts
Which I think was a mistake it seems like there are quite a few people on this forum that about one of they still offered them Citadel quit making them in 2014 so 38 Super 's in the price range are getting slim

yea to me and of course I am not a big tycoon board director type millionaire that knows how to run a company but taurus should have introduced both the Commander and officers model with the steel frame and the aluminum frame in my opinion.
the aluminum frame in my opinion was the best PT1911 they made from quality of workmanship and accuracy. out of the box

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Personally, I've never understood the aversion towards descriptive rollmarks on slides, especially when it's the easiest way to tell the make/model/brand of certain firearms such as the 1911 which are manufactured by just about everyone. In a world of terrible, low resolution product pictures on auction websites, I appreciate a slide with as much information to help identify it as possible.

That being said, don't trust the product pictures on Taurus website, as many of them are outdated. For example, their product pages for the Judge are outdated, which is obvious because the pictures they have up show engraved markings on stainless models, which have long since been replaced by some sort of etched markings.

·
Registered
36,893 Posts
its mostly about looks and history of the 1911.
Myself i hate a 1911 with a rail on it, ruins the lines of the weapon to me, some pistols the rails don't bother me a bit but the 1911, hi-power, Beretta 92 and a few other classic designs i don't care for them.
lots people like a flat slide with no markings ( and if the weapon is finished well with a nice blue job this is appealing without being broken up with lettering.), a single thumb safety, a typical military type hammer and trigger and no beavertail. only rear slide serrations are what a lot of people like in a 1911.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts