Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm new to this site and want to say thanks! This site help me decide on our new pistols. Yesterday I bought 2 new PT111's. My wife and I both shoot and carry, but the full size PT1911's are a bit large and my wife wanted to move down to the 9mm. We love out Taurus pistaols and when we picked up the PT111's, we were sold. ;D

I love the feel of these little guns and can't wait to hit the range this weekend.

Thanks,
Hotrod

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would love to hear how your range session went with the PT111s. I want to get one myself soon. Did you get the latest generation of the PT111? I think there may be 4 generations.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I plan on putting a few hundred down range this weekend. I will give a full report on monday. I have the Gen 3 mil pro's.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Enjoy the range this weekend. I love my new pt111. Welcome to the family:)

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Welcome to the forum hotrod, glad to have you with us. Congratulations as well on your dual PT-111 purchases, I'm glad they're a good fit for you and your wife.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well... we got rained out this weekend :( But, I do plan to be at the range this Friday morning when the open. I have 4 diff brands of Ammo and plan to test them all. I will detail my results for all to see.

Thanks for the welcome!

·
Registered
878 Posts
Congrats! My wife and I both love the Pt111, I'm sure you will too.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
hotrod said:
Well... we got rained out this weekend :( But, I do plan to be at the range this Friday morning when the open. I have 4 diff brands of Ammo and plan to test them all. I will detail my results for all to see.

Thanks for the welcome!
Sounds good, I look forward to reading your range report in the near future. :)

·
Registered
329 Posts
My wife and I just got a PT111 tonight, and we are a bit apprehensive after our range time. The range master oiled the slide for us before we started, and we put about 80 rounds through it, but kept having a problem where the slide would not go all the way back to forward after firing. We would have to smack it back to forward before firing again. This would happen about every other shot at first, but started to diminish. I've searched this forum to see if anyone else has had a "breaking in" period on their PT111 with a similar issue.

Is it just me?

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Gee, I wish the only thing I had to do with my new PT111 was just oil the slide. It took about an hour of cleaning to get the factory grease and junk off the slide area, barrel, and springs before I fired the first round.

I would guess yours will probably be OK, if you get it cleaned from shipping gunk, relubed and you should be ready to go. Everyone says they get better with age! Or at least you get better shooting them. I am at about 400 rds thru mine, and getting on an 8 1/2 by 11 sheet at 10 to 14 yards consistently.
The reason for not having tight patterns is me, not the gun!!

·
Registered
878 Posts
Second that on the gunk. I took mine home and gave it a major cleaning before shooting. It was really loaded up. I think we had one failure to feed on the first magazine and it's been all good afterwards. Like any mechanical device, it does have a break-in period.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I appreciate the feedback. We are first-time gun owners and the Taurus was recommended to me by a guy at work who loves Sigs. There is a Sig in our future, but the Taurus PT111 is our starter. The range master told me he'd show me how to clean it next time I'm at the range, so I'll take him up on that.

Other than the sticky slide right-out-of-the-box, I really liked it. It's a lot of fun to shoot, and it is pretty accurate once you get a feel for it. My wife cut the X out of the bulls eye with it in one shot, and got her target signed by the range master... she was very excited.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok... here is my plan. I have never range tested a hand gun before so please tell me if I'm missing anything.

My plan is to fire 100 rounds of target ammo to semi-break the gun in. Then allow to cool 100%. I will then fire 5 round test groups form a bench/rest with each of the three ammos I have allowing the gun to cool each time. I will record all the ammo info as well as outside air temp. I will photo all as well.

Anything else? What is the best to shoot from 10, 15, 25 meters? I have done tests on rifles from 50 and 100 meters.

I have 2 of the PT111, I will test only one of the friday. The other will be tested on Sunday. I will compare the two ans share all info here.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Start up-close about 10ft and work your way back.  You may find the mags to be a little tight at first. When you rack the slide, make sure you pull it all the way back and release it. If you don't, it may not feed the first round.  By the looks of your collection, you should be fairly well versed on this!  I have a P89 and a 22A myself. Great shooters!
Can't wait to see the report and the pix!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the info. I'll start close and move back. I'll do the test groups from 10 meters.

I've been shooting for years... but mostly just for fun/work. I've never done a range test on a hand gun. I just want to make sure I cover all the bases. so the info is worth sharing. The P89 was the first handgun I ever bought... back in 1991. I've got well over 2000 rounds down range out of it. Just a little to large to carry. I bought the PT111's so my wife and I could carry the same pistol... that way mags are interchangable and it will be easy to know how to help her, if I'm carrying the same model.

The 22a is a great plinker. My kids love shooting it, I put a BSA reddot on it and we shoot old shotgun shells all day long and 20 meter.

Ok... Back to the PT111... man are they covered in packing oil/grease.... took me an hour to clean the first one. I'll detail the test shoot best I can. I picked up a few more ammo types today... I'll test them as well and report.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I just broke down my pt111 and cleaned it... that wasn't packing grease. that was dried elmer's glue.

she's clean now.... what time does the range close tonight?

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
high5apparatus said:
I just broke down my pt111 and cleaned it... that wasn't packing grease. that was dried elmer's glue.

she's clean now.... what time does the range close tonight?
Don't you just love that stuff!! I used up most of an old Tshirt, getting the packing "glue" off my 2nd one. My son cleaned the one that I had that went back, took about an hour to clean them and relube everything.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts