Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
I bought the blk steel 605 .357 and paid $297. The 856s were goin for $249. IMO Taurus makes a GREAT revolver + VERY accurate right outta the box. DA trigger pull was atrocious, but getting better. SA trigger pull is out of this world! My wife likes it so much shooting .38s, she wants the pink version (856UL) for Xmas. Problem is, she still can't fire it SA. I knew when I bought the 605 the 856 would be a better CCW choice with the extra round and +P ability. But since I never carry it, went with the 357. My advice, buy some .38 snap caps and shoot the snot outta it until the DA trigger breaks in. My other concern is finish, but again, since I'm not using it for CCW, shouldn't be a problem.

·
22,027 Posts
I'm a big fan of Taurus revolvers in general, and the 85/856 are their bread and butter. Buy it, shoot it, maybe stick a Wolff spring kit in it, and enjoy it for a lifetime. Rock solid carry gun.

Reactions: Zack856

·
8,395 Posts
I have had the same model for over a year. It is my mowing gun, loaded with 3 shot shells and 3 HP's. Works great.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have a black steel 856 38 special 2 inch on layaway. Thoughts on this gun I paid $283.00
I don't care for UL models. I like my revolvers in all-steel or stainless steel. I own the Defender 856, with the 3" barrel instead of the 2". It's a great little shooter.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Perfect gun. No need for UL, I forget it's in my jeans pocket with the full weight and can shoot it all day. The matte black finish can take some time to wear in but once it does the trigger will be fantastic.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I don't care for UL models. I like my revolvers in all-steel or stainless steel. I own the Defender 856, with the 3" barrel instead of the 2". It's a great little shooter.
How did you get it? I've been waiting 11 months for my matte black 3 incher

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have had the same model for over a year. It is my mowing gun, loaded with 3 shot shells and 3 HP's. Works great.
Mine will jam the blue shotshells after a shot or two. Have to reseat the shells into the cylinder after each shot or it will jam.

·
Registered
4,716 Posts
I'm sure that steel 856 will serve you well OP!

·
Registered
271 Posts
How did you get it? I've been waiting 11 months for my matte black 3 incher
Actually, someone on a thread in this forum mentioned Kentucky Gun Company. Sure enough, I went to their site and they still had some in stock, so grabbed one up. I've had it maybe a couple of months now, if that long. The Defender was introduced back in January, but I don't think they've been in production quite that long, with only a few samples going out to reviewers. I've seen quite a few since, but stock goes fast. I really like the stainless model, but I'm seriously considering pairing it up with another in matte black, at some point. I have a few favorite online shops that I like to deal with. All of them have a place where you can enter your email address in order to notify you when they're in stock again.

·
Premium Member
12,756 Posts
I liked my 2" enough that I bought the 3" when they became available. Good solid guns.

Reactions: Dad1911

·
Super Moderator
35,009 Posts
I'm always forgetting to arm up before going out somewhere. I'm going to put my 85UL in the truck for such occasions. Beats the back up NAAs I've resorted to in such situations. (y) I hardly ever carry it even for backup, anymore, and it's a decent little revolver.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts