Taurus Firearm Forum banner

2.75 inch vs 3 inch shotgun rounds

3K views 38 replies 20 participants last post by  Mark in Indiana 
#1 ·
A 12 gauge pump-action shotgun has become my primary long-gun home and truck defense weapon of choice. It's chambered for both 2-3/4 inch and 3 inch rounds. Are there any real-life advantages to using 3 inch shells over their "vertically challenged" brothers for these purposes?

The disadvantages seem obvious: reduced capacity within the magazine tube , increased cost-per-round, and increased recoil. I don't live in bear country - the biggest dangers in my area are venomous snakes and rabid four-legged vermin; also the occasional (but increasing in numbers) two-legged vermin one hears about on the morning and evening news.

It seems that, for me, 2 3/4 inch ammo is sufficient unto the day for the evil thereof. (I am considering buying an adapter and stocking up on mini-shells, but I haven't decided yet.) I have a five round box of 3 inch 12 gauge from somewhere in the distant past, but I can't think of a reason to buy more of them unless Ursus arctos, or hordes of 400 pound feral swine, decide to invade the Oklahoma City metro area.

Any thoughts on 2.75 vs 3 inch shotgun ammunition for home defense and truck gun purposes? (Also, please note that the shotgun does not mean I don't carry a pistol at all times.)

See less See more
#3 ·
If you could load 11 3" shells, you should be able to load 12 2.75" shells. I don't how many 11 round shotguns there are out there, so capacity doesn't seem to really be an issue. If you used a magazine feeder, it wouldn't matter either. I suppose at some point weight would be a factor. I'd say use whatever is cheaper. If you're using 2.75" shells, I suppose it would contribute to a longer lifespan for the gun.

#4 ·
Most LEOs use reduced recoil shells with only eight pellets of 00, for quick follow up shots and reduced recoil.

Early on, in my purchase of a Saiga 12, I got three inch 12 gauge in 00. I probably have at least 125 rounds of the 3" 00. I didn't shot any of them, but one day shot a round of a turkey load in #5 shot, 3" with a 1 7/8 ounce load. Ten rounds to a box, and since that one shot some 14 years ago, the box still has 9 rounds left, it was an unpleasant experience. I have about 250 rounds of 2 3/4 " 00 buckshot.

As my bones continue to add years, I bought a .410 Mossberg Shockwave. 2 1/2" shells only have three pellets of 000, where as the 3" shells have 5 pellets and fill a pattern a little better and with recoil not being bad, I opted to carry five 3" shells (one in the chamber) instead of 6 of the 2 1/2 shells. This is my truck gun in addition to the regular model 66 .357 mag.

#5 ·
2-¾" Shells produce less flash, less report, and less recoil, while still being extremely effective, with one shot center mass being enough to stop most attackers dead in their tracks. Even with body armor on, the sheer blunt force trauma generated by a single center mass 2-¾" 12 Gauge shell loaded with 00 Buckshot is potentially lethal.

So yeah, there isn't much of a point in choosing 3" shells over 2-¾" shells unless it's for Grizzly bear defense or you're worried about being faced by some mutant or monster who will take a 2-¾ shell and keep on coming. Heck, even then, unless you're carrying a single shot, another 2-¾ shell would most likely stop whatever freak managed to withstand one shot.

#6 ·
Heck, even then, unless you're carrying a single shot, another 2-¾ shell would most likely stop whatever freak managed to withstand one shot.
I agree. Remington 870 holding 6+1 of 2-3/4" 00 buck should do the job. 👍
Now, if only I can find a rifled slug barrel for the right price. 😁

Reactions: ICUKev
#7 ·
Anything you are shooting at won't be able to tell the difference so long as the shot # is the same. Your shoulder and ears however, as well as the number of shells you can send without reloading, will. Short of putting more shot in the air for birds, or shooting at something that outweighs you substantially, stay clear of 3".

And now since we're on the subject of shotgun shells, here's something to entertain you.

#9 ·
My opinion, and my opinion only. Shouldn't make a lot of difference. If you have an 870, that's 5 in the mag, 1 in the pipe with 2.75" rounds. If you are in a situation where you need more than that, then you have more pressing problems. My own choice for home defense is a coach gun in 12g. My back up is a 1911. I carry a .45 or 9 in the truck because moving a long gun around is a pain in the butt in high stress conditions - or any conditions for that matter. Considering most SD situations are less than 10 or 15 feet, any shotgun is going to give a bad guy a bad weekend. I guess I just don't see the issue.

Reactions: Woody USSLUCE
#11 ·
For a pump gun my 870 is setup with a Carson's mag extention, Magpul furniture, and a Remchoke slug barrel. It is a 7+1 setup.

My Mossberg 590a1 is setup to use Remchokes with Magpul furniture and is a 8+1 setup.

The other is the 590S that can hold 12+1 Aguila mini slugs.

Maloy

#12 ·
I've been thinking about "upgrading" to a 590S for just that reason. The ballistic reports I've seen on those Aguila mini shells are so close to their 2-3/4" brethren that the difference is minimal, yet the addition of that many more rounds is not.

#14 ·
I'd say it all depends on how dead you want your target to be. They'll be 1/4" deader if shot with a 3" shell vs a 2 3/4". Shot from a 3" shell will be 1/4" faster, will have an effective range of 1/4" inch farther, will kick 1/4" harder and will be 1/4" louder. If you shoot with earplugs, be sure to use the 1/4" longer ones for 3" shells to avoid 1/4 hearing loss or if you use muffs, use a size 1/4" bigger. A 2 3/4" load will work as well as a 3", if you just let them get 1/4" closer before you shoot. Basically, if a 2 3/4" shell won't stop it, a 3" won't either.

#17 ·
You know, on any other forum, this post would have received multiple replies by now with links to outlandish cases in which some freak of nature managed to take a blast of 12 Gauge 000 Buckshot to the torso yet kept on coming, as if such obvious headline makers were a common occurrence or otherwise that such cases served as a cautionary tale of why you should never load anything less than 3-½ Super Magnum or 10 Gauge shells into your defensive shotgun.

Because, you know... Surely whatever creatures can withstand a 2-¾" shell will succumb to a 3" shell, right?

Honestly, if you're worried about running into an attacker who can shrug off a 2-¾" shell, then you might as well start handloading your own 12 Gauge shells with Silver Buckshot and have your Shotgun fitted with an ultraviolet flashlight and a bayonet that has been engraved with Bible verses while you're at it.

#27 ·
I would never use +p rounds...:confused:...just seems excessively mean, maybe inhumane. I think pokin' a hole in the BG with a ball of lead is bad enough, no need to add p to the mix. If the lead doesn't do it, the P is only gonna' make him stink. There's always a danger if you're shooting into the wind that the p would blow back and you'd get some on ya'. Also, I don't think I want p in my guns...:unsure:...prob'ly pretty corrosive, I'd think. I know soldiers sometimes p'd on their rifles to unfreeze them in arctic conditions but I'd have a hard time p'in' on my guns, just seems disrespectful.

#18 ·
In the South where I live we use nothing but shotguns for Deer as well as just about anything else. I never use 3" shells. No need to IMO.
By the way here is my KISS home defense shotgun. (although I do own others)
Beretta 1200F, same platform as the 1201 used by military and police years ago. Simple design, few parts and extremely reliable. Cut the barrel down to 20" added a larger receiver bolt. Just ordered a Meadow creek mount for the vent rib to add a Red Dot.

Poor man's home defense shotgun. (Lol, paid about $200 from Kmart years ago)

#20 ·
With a tube fed magazine, it may be more difficult to thumb more rounds in the bottom if they are 3" if you are reloading on the fly than with the 2 3/4", maybe not. My .410 Mossberg Shockwave is something I would never attempt to reload on the fly with 3" shells as there isn't much extra room . I do carry the 2 1/2" shells to reload on the fly. When I load it initially with the 3" shells, I have the gun turned on it's back so I can see what I am doing.

Reactions: Woody USSLUCE
#23 ·
For home and vehicle defense 2¾" is all you need to load. There is a place for 3" Magnums but that is for hunting, specifically turkey and waterfowl IMHO. If you are not a hunter stick with 2¾" ammunition.

#25 ·
I am not familiar with chokes, the TAR is my first to take 'em but it came with three and a distinct warning about using chokes with steel vs lead shot. I believe most 3" big bird loads are steel, which IIRC requires a wider-spread choke. I won't run unleaded anyway so I didn't get very into it.

#28 ·
Mods: Why is there no emoji for "shame on you" ?

#29 ·
At my club we hold a defensive shotgun seminar once a year . I'm an RSO and am surprised at the lack of ability and familiarity that some have in using their personal shoguns . We also reccomend using #8 shot for home defense since we live in the communist state of NJ and have a "modified castle doctrine" where we must announce to the intruder that we have/are contacting the police and we must retreat to the part of the house BEFORE taking defensive action and then ONLY to neutralize the threat,NOT TO KILL!!. If you have witnesed the pattern and the destruction of a #8 at close quarters you will understant that it's extremely effective and will not travel through the house as a buckshot or a slug will,

#30 ·
I think the assumption that a 12 gauge shot is the best for home defense may be questionable since buckshot will penetrate sheet rock walls with ease. If you live alone maybe its OK but unless you know where every member of the household is at all times it could be deadly for other residents as well. Maybe if you use #8 at close ranges it might be OK. As for a truck gun it would work with a slug or five in the side saddle and buckshot in the tube. As for 2 3/4 vs 3 inch again inside is inside and outside is outside. 2 3/4 inch inside with #8s and either/or with buck or slug outside.

#34 ·
A "friend of mine" has an Iver Johnson 12GA semi-auto shotgun (like the one in the first picture. pictured). Rated for 2.75" & 3" shells.
It fires 3" shells flawlessly. However, the 2.75 shells jam every now and then. So with that gun, it'll have to be 3" shells. It's a hoot to shoot, but causes a sore shoulder unless the stock is removed. View attachment 496478

A lot of my friends have tried out my TAR12 and every single one had that same "Whoa, that kicks a lot harder than I thought" reaction. Actually, the responses are much more colorful but that's the general gist of it. I use a recoil pad when I shoot it and offer it to others their first time but it's always the same "Meh, I hunted with a 12 gauge double-barrel and these semi-autos kick a lot less". :rolleyes:...cheap entertainment.

Reactions: bigC and Flash60601
#35 ·
00 buckshot seems to be the choice for defensive shotgun ammo.

I read somewhere that #4 buckshot is a better choice because of the pellet count. I think it's like 9, 00Buck in a 2-3/4" shell versus 25 #4 buckshot in the same shell.

Reactions: olfarhors
#36 · (Edited)
For "run and gun" using a pump gun I've found the Mossbergs faster to reload. Early on I could put more lead on steel with the 870 because of the Remchoke slug barrel. This prompted me to look into getting my 590A1 a choke tube barrel.

I do recommend choke tubes even for a "home defense" gun as well as proper sights. Aiming is more important with the power of a shotgun at short distances. Inside a house or building you'd be lucky to get a 2" pattern. Good destructive power is worthless if you miss.

My 590S has ghost ring sights, holds 8+1 2-3/4" and a factory Accuchoke barrel. I use it more than the 590A1. I also added the Magpul SGA stock as I liked the recoil pad and adjust ability better.

Sometime in the future I'll have to do a rundown on my new 940 Pro Tactical and its factory stock when the weather is better. Its one of the 940's that has the RMSc cut in the receiver. It's the final home for a Crimson Trace RAD micro pro. 7+1 with a 18.5" Accuchoke barrel. Just a hint, its faster to bring on target with the red dot than any sights. When you go for a proper cheek weld its THERE!

As for felt recoil with the 940 (y):giggle:. The recoil, adjustable LOP, and red dot gives it a huge advantage.

Maloy

#37 ·
We all have our thoughts and opinions on defensive ammo!
Myself I prefer number 1 or number 4 Buckshot and in 2 3/4 inch shells.
the 2 3/4 inch shells provide plenty to stopping power with the correct shot size, I prefer more holes (smaller shot) and more ammo (shorter shells) for defensive home use.
now if i was tying to stop a Mack truck then i would opt for 3 inch and double or triple buckshot.

Reactions: kschilk
#38 ·
I have yet to try #4 Buck from a 12 gauge but it's one of my favorites out of my Judge Mag, especially for snakes or varmints but I've considered it for in-home defense. From a .410, it's nine .24 caliber pellets and just one in the right place can be lethal. From a 12 gauge, there are 25+ pellets. They do make minis though.

I want to try 0 Buck, #1 and #2 shots to see what they'll do. My TAR12 is just for fun, unless I go to war or somethin'. There was never any intent to use it for home defense, I have better stuff for that but I've seen all three of those at significantly lower prices than the 00 Buck. Might be just as much fun and cut down my ammo bill.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.