Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Entered and finished my first USPSA match on Saturday in Bono, AR. As luck would have it, I was the only entrant in the Limited 10 division, so by default, a win, I guess. Couldn't have been for my scores, though. I made alot of good scores on points, but I was sloooow. Mag problems,mostly. The SS PT1911 ran excellently, except for the magazine issues, PowerMags. Will shoot next month, hopefully w/o the mag issues. BTW, I saw several other PT1911s in action and those guns ran well. I will get those folks info about TaurusArmed when I see them next. Anyone else competing in USPSA? This newbie could use some advice, particularly about 10 round magazines.

·
Registered
676 Posts
IDPA here and still learning

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
I have used my PT1911 in IDPA but not USPSA. I generally use my PX4 9mm for USPSA.

Oh, and congrats on your 1st place finish!

·
Super Moderator
38,004 Posts
Thanks for the reminder. We sign in on Sundays for the Wednesday match and the sales are opened at 2000. It's usually sold out in 10-15 minutes, but I was able to snag my place just now. I wonder if the ammo shortage is impacting the match shooters?

Congrats on your first match. I started out using CMC Shooting Star mags and they were well used....I was having feeding issues and slide lock failure (of course if I counted my darn shots I wouldn't have to worry about slide lock and losing those seconds).

I bought some Wilson Combat 8 rounders and polished up the feed ramp a bit and my PT 1911 SS runs like a top. The 1911 platform is very dependent on the mags. Tripp Research make a good magazine also I hear.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
IDPA here Congrats on your first match.

jhp

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Congrats on your first match as well, also shoot uspsa, and steel challenge, and use a pt1911 now at least for uspsa, started with a ruger p95, funny thing is, the person who basically mentored me in uspsa, he has a les baer 1911 70 series, and wanted to take my taurus out for a few matches, these were ones that he already shot with his, i said, sure, his first run he scored 4 points lower, 2nd run was 2 points higher and last was the same. He then said he really liked it, but considering what he had already spent, he wasn't planning on getting one. We later tested it at longer ranges to see what the difference was, and we discovered that, at the close ranges of uspsa, very little difference was to be had, dont know about other ranges for uspsa, but ours its very rare to ever shoot past 50 feet, but when we took it to one of the bench rest ranges that goes out to 200 yards for paper targets, it was pretty clear that his was more accurate. After that he turned to me and said, "ya know, if mine hadnt done better here, i would be pretty mad right now, but im good, lets go eat"

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Congratulations,

Shooting great is nice but just having fun is the best part!
So true, after all, if your not enjoying it, why bother, competition shooting costs WAY to much to not enjoy yourself when you do it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts