Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
...And it was very interesting. When I bought the poly Judge, I bought it for the small grip for my small hands. Going to the range, I had Federal 410 handgun 4 shot shell, PDX1, and Magtech 250gr. L-Flat 45 Colt. I first tried out the Fed. shot shells. I was able to shoot 3 shells, and then the cylinder locked up, and I couldn't pull back the hammer. I replaced all 5 shell w/ new ones, and tried again. This time only 2 before it locked up. Something's wrong w/ the cylinder?? I forgot my white paint stick to mark the cylinder, so I gave up and tried the Magtech 45 Colts. All 5 in the cylinder shot w/o a problem, as did my 2nd and 3rd loads. I then tried the PDX1 shells, and all shot fine. The problem was getting the shells to eject from the cylinder after firing them. Even w/ a gentle bump on the extracter, the shells wouldn't come out. I was able to pick them out w/ my fingernails. The shells had swelled to the point where they were sticking. I guess the cylinders don't like to get dirty. As far as the Fed shells locking up, I don't have any idea, and will try it again soon.
I was shooting at 10 yards, and noticed after I brought my target up close that my 45s were tearing the paper, not punching a hole in it. My LGS friend suggested that the lead was tumbling at that distance, and suggested 2 options: 1) shooting at a closer distance, and, 2) trying a heavier bullet. I'll try both later on.
How did it feel? Well, I won't have much of a problem shooting the judge with a glove and wrist brace w/ my right hand. My left hand can't handle more than 2 firings, before it hurt. But I feel that I can handle both hands in emergency settings. So, it's a go for me to keep this baby. Yay!!! I'll still carry one of my 9mm, so I'm happy to say the poly judge will be at my bed at night....

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hmm, a couple others reported issues like this with the cylinder locking up. I did not have this issue with mine but I can tell you that I did notice before I shot it that the cylinder did not spin very well so I cleaned and oiled the heck out of the gun. Not sure if that is what helped me or not but give it a shot (pun intended). Also, someone else said they had issues with firing different kinds of ammo in one cylinder but I'm not sure why that would be an issue as this is what the gun is designed for.

As for ejecting shells, yes I have the same issue, I shot up a bunch of colt 45 last Sunday and had to manhandle each cylinder full out. This I have a feeling is just a break in issue as it has been getting better.

Good to hear you can shoot it however, it's a great gun and I just love it.

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the encouragement. I would have been very down if that lock up had happened on all 3 ammo types, but since it was just on 1, I figure it can be worked out....

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
"Proof of purchase" Judge pics are not mandatory...but are greatly enjoyed by all Judge fans when they are posted. (Hint, hint.) ;)

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know, I know... But not everybody is as good of a photographer as you, Harry, Sir!

·
35,996 Posts
I know, I know... But not everybody is as good of a photographer as you, Harry, Sir!
Well, okay...we'll take your word for it, then.:happy:

Reactions: whodog

·
35,996 Posts
Just kidding you, friend!

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll be trying out different shell in my Poly Judge, so it'll be good. Just doing the report for suggestions and comments...

·
Registered
10 Posts
i had that issue in my poly pd. anytime i shot .410 shells (winchester pdx, winchester aa, federal handgun loads) the cylinder would lock up. i never had an issue with the .45 colt though. i sent mine back to taurus and they adjusted the cylinder. i've put probably 300 .410 rounds through it since then and it has run flawlessly. the only issue i still have is with the winchester pdx, it likes to stick in the cylinder. but cleaning it and oiling it real good helped alot.

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info. I'll try some different shot shells before I decide what to do...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts