Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally hit up the range. I p/u the TCP used since it is warrantied for life. Shot really well for about 40 rounds, then apparently got dirty and did not feed well. I field stipped it and wiped it with a cleanex as that was all I had and it helped. Gonna clean it up real good and go back this week to ensure that is what it was. Need to get a couple extra magazines as well. It was a good training opportunity as I was able to teach Mikey how to get the gun back into action with the tap, rack and bang drill.. I was pretty impressed with the accuracy and ease to shoot. My wife, daughter and son were nailing the center mass w/o issues.

For those worried about kids shooting, my son has grown up at the range and shoots anything I present in a SAFE manner...he wears proper ear and eye protection... and of course being a kid, his favorite weapon is the M4.....

shootin1.jpg

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Super Moderator
40,611 Posts
I think it is a great idea to take the kids to the range. Nice report on the TCP. I found I had to clean mine every 50 rounds or I would have problems. After several hundred rounds that problem went away.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Good Stuff. I'm looking at TCP's and like seeing the good reports. I keep some of the RemOil wipes in my range bag for just such a scenario, very handy. No 'disclaimer' needed about the kid, you're in TEXAS! :D

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
I rarely shoot more than 50 rounds on a range trip for just that reason, the 738 gets dirty and fails to go completely into battery. A wipe helps and a bore snake is even better.

You should be able to get a new 738 for $179 blue/black and $199 SS, that is the new price drop to separate them from the Ruger LCP and Kel-Tec P3-AT. This is not a sale price but the new retail price point.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Finally hit up the range. I p/u the TCP used since it is warrantied for life. Shot really well for about 40 rounds,
Do you have the .380 or the .32 version? I have both and I find they are both surprisingly accurate for their size. The .32 seems more accurate than the .380 for some reason.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hey Flatbadge, hope a good cleaning takes care of things for ya. I tried a "torture test" of all different sorts of ammo from Federal, Hornady and Remington to cheap stuff like Herters, MFS and and Monarch (the brass cased stuff was actually very good!). I also tried shooting about 200 rounds without cleaning and daily pocket carry for a couple of months before the last 50 rounds to see how it would do "dirty" and have had ZERO problems with it. While I would have prefered tp go 500 rounds without a cleaning, I didn't want to shoot that much at once and carry a dirty weapon that long. I think the TCP is an excellent and reliable pistol and several others on here do too.

BTW, no need to apologize for the young un' . Looked perfectly normal to me to allow children to get a chance to get their hands on a gun. Something more kids should learn to operate, understand and respect, might make a change for the better in society if everyone did the same.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Way to go, Dad!

Thanks for sharing your TCP range report with us.

·
Registered
337 Posts
My 13 year old loves the range and I call him the "Jr. Sniper" he can shoot the primers out of spent shotgun shells with his .22 Rossi single shot. Got him a .50 Cal black powder rifle for Xmas. What a cannon!

·
Registered
262 Posts
How is the trigger pull on the TCP? I'm thinking about getting the wife one but her fingers are not real strong. How would it compare to the PT 92 DA, she can squeez it in DA all day long.

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
I agree on the trigger pull. Long, but smooth and fairly easy. It is lighter than the DA pull on my 327mag revolver with factory springs in it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I was carrying a Kel Tec P11 before i got my TCP. Trigger is smooth and easy compared to that, but still stiff enough to prevent an AD. Much better than my BIL's LCP.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Thanks folks, I think I will go check one out for the wife and of course I will have to play with it too.:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts