Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1st time g2

2K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  nevadabob 
#1 ·
Been lurkin' here fr a while. Have been out of the Taurus family for a while, having owned 6 assorted Tauri in the past. Only ever had one complaint, but otherwise totally satisfied with the product line. My favorite so far was the pt745 that I should not have let myself get talked into selling. My son had a pt140 that was a good piece also. So I have been looking for a good all around pistol that would not break the bank. Seriously considered Sigs, Czs, Rugers, and such until...I stumbled upon some pt111g2 reviews here and on youtube. Damn you guys, I bought mine today;D. Love the feel, fit and finish. Hope it shoots as well and is as durable as everyone reports. Probably won' t get to shoot her for a couple of days. That'll make me nuts, by the way. Really hoping to like this as much, if not more than the shield for a carry piece.
One question, could someone please explain how to get the stinkin back plated off of the slide so I can clean the packing grease out of the striker channel?

#5 ·
Welcome to the forum. :wave:

#6 ·
Thanks for the welcome and the quick help. Wanted to make sure this thing was spiffy before I put rounds thru. I am really anxious to give y'all a good report. The only Taurus I've had issue with was a pt22, of which I owned 3. One was just constant trouble(jams, broken firing pin, fail to fire after that). The others were great, and I expect great things from this little jewel. Want my Sig p238 to go to backup role to the Taurus.

#7 ·
Ichaim...Is it really necessary to do this? I've read through the manual and didn't see the need to do such. Got a page number? Seems like there would a big bold warning instructing us first time G2 owners to do this. I'm not one to "one-up" the factory and start unnecessarily taking things apart. I watched the video and he says the channel was just loaded with grease. Hmmm...didn't look that way to me.

#13 · (Edited)
Ichaim...Pardon me if I sounded out of order or antagonistic. That's not my point. I'm not a hater. And I know the main purpose of your post was to get some info on removing the stubborn plate. It sparked some interest on my part as to why the striker channel needs to be "cleaned" when the manual says nothing about doing this. Since the factory lubed the channel, why mess with it?

#15 ·
IMHO The striker channel really does need to be cleaned as the grease can break down and form a goo that will cause light strikes. Even second strike is useless until the gun warms up. It happened to me and others. The grease they put in there keeps the gun from rusting but that's its primary function, not lubrication. Also a striker channel shouldn't be laden with lube anyway as it just attracts carbon and will need to be cleaned even sooner.

Plus it's really easy to do. But don't tell customer service you did it. Apparently enough people are too stupid to do it without breaking something so it technically voids your warranty. It's like telling someone they can't change their own oil on a car.

The extractor is actually slightly difficult and has loose springs you can lose. It also has too much grease in it, but it doesn't seem to cause any problems so don't worry about that.

No offense taken. Just because the manual does not state specifically that something should be done, does not not mean that it shouldn't. I have had more than one firearm fail due to junk in the fp channel. And excess lube in there is a real dirt magnet. When I got the striker out it was really oily, so I wiped it down and ran a q-tip inside the channel, making sure not to leave any fibers behind. Just something I do from time to time with all my iron( or plastic as the case may be).:)
Got one more question. Has anyone expierienced the slide getting stuck when trying to reassemble? I seem to have to find "the sweet spot" in order to get the slide back on.

Yeah you just have to make sure the slide is lined up as the rails are short and you can go askew. I use the backplate and the ejector as a guide.

My backplate was hard to get off the first time for me but now that I've lubed the fitting it comes out easy.

#14 ·
No offense taken. Just because the manual does not state specifically that something should be done, does not not mean that it shouldn't. I have had more than one firearm fail due to junk in the fp channel. And excess lube in there is a real dirt magnet. When I got the striker out it was really oily, so I wiped it down and ran a q-tip inside the channel, making sure not to leave any fibers behind. Just something I do from time to time with all my iron( or plastic as the case may be).:)
Got one more question. Has anyone expierienced the slide getting stuck when trying to reassemble? I seem to have to find "the sweet spot" in order to get the slide back on.

#16 ·
Welcome to the G2 owners club..

#17 ·
Ok.
I'm impressed.
1st 125 dn range today. This gun is in a class WAY above it's price point. To say i'm well pleased is an understatement. Shoots as well and as comfortably as any other small 9mm. Even would put it up there with many larger frame models. Every bit as nice as the Shield, which up to now had been my pick in this class. Accuracy was unbelievable. Picking caps off of 2litres at 10 yds!
After session cleanup and inspection...no unusual or unexpected wear.
Only two complaints to this point;
1- mag release is a little too stiff for quick realods
2- only had time for 125 rnds:cool:

Think I've got a keeper.

#19 · (Edited)
Not the slide catch. The mag catch. I like to practice tactical reloads, and half the time I had to push the release with my left hand:confused:
If it doesn't get any better I will see about installing a lighter spring. I do not contact the button at all with my shooting grip so a lighter premature mag-jection :rolleyes: shouldn't be a problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.