Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and a friend have register for a concealed weapon permit class and it is next Saturday. I hate to say it, but when we go to the shooting range that day, it will probably be where I shoot my first shot out of my PT 24/7 Pro .40 S&W. I know of one range that will be open Wednesday for handguns, but I'm back in college night classes and it is near exam time. So I probably will not have time to go to the range Wednesday.

I have shot a handgun before and I was wondering if there is anything that is not of the norm about shooting a 24/7 pro .40? I will be using Winchester 40 S&W, 180 GR. JHP, Personal Protection bullets. The instructor will be making sure I can fire my firearm correctly and watching that I use proper firearm safety. I pretty much have memorized all of the safety instructions in the Taurus owners manual. It is the part when I fire the weapon that I do not want to screw up.

Any helpful comments would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My wife had never shot a handgun before her first CHL class here in Texas (CHL=ccw in Texas) but she shot maybe 15 rounds through her new 24/7 9mm the night before just to get a feel for it, she loves it ;D

From what I hear the .40 has more of a kick than the 9mm; never shot that particular cartridge myself.

Just know that once you rack a round it is single action and only double action if the cartridge fails to fire. Just be confident, the gun should perform well for you :)

·
Administrator
35,412 Posts
You're a braver man than me, my friend.....part of the CCW license testing is live-fire in Texas - I think I would want at least a small idea what that gun fires like before I deflowered it at my CCW class......but good luck to you !!!

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Here's my question: Why are you going to be using JHP's over FMJ's for your CWP qualification?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NYPD in AZ said:
Here's my question: Why are you going to be using JHP's over FMJ's for your CWP qualification?
When I purchased the gun I told the guy that I wanted some personal protection bullets and some bullets for practicing. He brought me the Winchester bullets above and some Monarch .40 S&W, 180 GR Total Metal Jackets. He said the Monarch's were a company that Academy Sports owns that make bullets for their stores. After reading some the posts here, I don't think I need to even put the Monarch's in my gun.

Thanks for advice so far guys. I think I may need to take Wednesday off from work and get the feel for the gun first.

Can you define the difference between JHP's and FMJ's? In the Instructors registration paper work he doesn't specify any type of ammo. The way I understand it is that the test is written and he just needs to observe us using the gun at the range. I will surely make a call tomorrow to clarify.

·
Administrator
35,412 Posts
NYPD is offline so I"ll feebly attempt to cover him.....FMJ is full metal jacketed bullets, similar to what the military is restricted to using. It has a rounded or oval profile. FMJ bullets rarely, if ever, expand to be larger than their caliber size. JHP is a jacketed hollow point - it has a profile sometimes similar to a FMJ but if you look directly at the front you will see a cavity in the nose. This cavity is for forcing the bullet to 'mushroom' as it pushes through material, usually tissue, bone, organs, etc. FMJ bullets do not expand or mushroom and can tend to overpenetrate and go through the intended target, whereas many hollowpoints are designed to penetrate between 10 and 14 inches, then the mushrooming of the bullet stops penetration. Modern hollowpoints have been improved over the years to where they can mushroom dramatically, to sizes considerably larger than their caliber. The larger the bullet gets, the larger the wound channel is when the bullet passes through the body.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
texastaurusguy said:
Hope this helps.
Yes, thanks. I knew the difference in the look of the bullets, but wasn't educated on the different effects the two types had on the target.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
X Warlord said:
Yes, thanks. I knew the difference in the look of the bullets, but wasn't educated on the different effects the two types had on the target.
Another quick note. You will generally have less feeding problems with fmj's. I use them as range ammo because they are less expensive than jhp's. Also I'm sure you are aware of this but, make sure your gun is clean so there is no way it will malfunction.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
You know I have read this thread several times. But the more I think about it, in most states you have a minimum hits in certain parts of a specific target style to qualify. Others you shoot from 2 or 3 different distances, and again must have so many in center mass to qualify.
I know you said your going to practice before taking the course now. Good luck, in KY we are lucky enough to only have to get 11 out of 20 rd in center mass. I shot until I knew most if not all of my rd's would hit an 8.5 by 11" target, before I took the course. FMJ was the practice and qualifying rounds used. You will probably do fine, but an hour or so at the range would definitely be a good idea.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
The distances we shot were 5 yards and seven yards. As long as you hit the target, not c o m, every time you passed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Robby said:
You will probably do fine, but an hour or so at the range would definitely be a good idea.
I am definitely taking off Wednesday to spend the day at the range and I'm going to pick up a couple of boxes fmj's.

What manufacturer/brand is the most recommended fmj for range practice with a 24/7 .40 S&W? Do you guys think I should scrap the box Monarch's I have or go ahead and run them through my 24/7?

paulrabe78 said:
Also I'm sure you are aware of this but, make sure your gun is clean so there is no way it will malfunction.
I disassembled the gun, cleaned the barrel, frame assembly with Hoppe's #9 solvent and oil. The only thing I did not mess with was the grip assembly components and the enclosed portion of the frame assembly (Where the firing pin is.). I can tell there is a little bit of grease in the enclosed portion, but nothing like what was covering the other components.

I really appreciate all the advice guys.

·
Administrator
35,412 Posts
I personally like to run everything through mine - just to see what works and what doesn't. I've never, ever had a malfunction with Winchester white box, so thats the target load I 'run home to' when/if I start having problems with a specific brand. But I like shooting different manufacturers, different bullet profiles, everything.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Go ahead and run the Monarchs through. For your qualification I'd suggest as stated above Winchester white box FMJ's or Blazer Brass.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had a small CWP class (FL) of 6 pple when I went in Feb. When we went to the live fire exercise we fired off 25 rounds all together. @9 feet we fired 5 shot group two handed, then 5 shots 1handed. @21ft we fired 5 shots x2 with two hands then 5 shots 1 handed. I took the gun I was most comfortable with, my 92fs Centurion. Out of the 6 pple there mine was the only target with one ragged hole.. I had a few fliers but none over 2in from the main hole (I blame these on excitement). Some pple were having problems keeping their shots inside the lines from short short distances.

Good luck and try to keep them all near each other. Front sight focus helped alot.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Have you never fired a hand gun period or just not this hand gun? If you have never shot a hand gun I dont think you should be more worried about getting a license to carry one before you know how to shoot and learn to shoot well. Just my opinion

·
Registered
40 Posts
how can anyone new to handguns possibly be pursuing a ccw license? doesn't make sense to me...as mpanova stated. get comfortable with handling and firing your handgun. then learn to use holstered weapons. big difference drawing loaded weapon from holster if you've never done it. then learn holstered weapon from concealment (e.g. IDPA)....then, try different weapons (shotgun/rifle/revolver). then, after you have a comfort level (min 5000 rounds)...ccw comes near the end of the trail, not the beginning.

just my twisted idea of the world....

·
Registered
47 Posts
I got my CWP  before I even bought my first gun. I did not have to take a class or test either. I was in the Navy for 8 years and while in, the only times I fired a gun was bootcamp (.45s modded to .22) and twice .45s on my first ship when I needed to get my pistol quals for standing watches.

I sent in all my paperwork along with my DD-214 and had it within 3 weeks. I really wanted to get it prior to my first purchase so I did not have to wait the required time before taking my guns home. It was a while and I practiced a lot before I felt comfortable enough to actually carry.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just to clarify things, I very seriously don't think that I will be carrying my 24/7 every where I go. Hats get on my nerves, and I'm sure a hunk of metal under my shirt or in my pants will not be any more comfortable. The main reason I am pursuing a CWP is to be able to carry it legally when I am taking my 5 and 7 year old sons primitive camping this summer. In South Carolina you can have your handgun with you without a CWP, but it has to be in a glove box or console in your car. The only place you can get it out is at a range or on your own property, legally.

In the past couple of years in the foothills of SC, there has been one guy kidnapped, killed, and taken to NC where he was stored in a cooler. Another girl jogging was taken, rapped, and thrown like a piece of trash in the woods. Just last week, a lady became missing and someone dropped off her hands and feet in front of relatives houses. This world is getting to crazy and I'm not going to take any chances not having a means to protect my family while I'm mingling out and about in the woods. Besides, as a full blooded American, why even buy a handgun if your not going to be able to have it, if you need it?

I can see where some of you are coming from and I'm spending the day at the range tomorrow. Everybody has to start some where when becoming a handgun owner. I would not have even purchased a handgun if I wasn't even going to pursue a CWP. So I'm just in the second phase of my personal plans of becoming a handgun owner. If I fail the CWP, it will be a lessoned learned.

Again, I appreciate all the help, advice, and the comments about the pros & cons in what I'm doing. It is great to have found a forum representing a quality gun manufacturer, with affordable prices, that stands behind their products to produce overwhelming customer satisfaction. I am totally satisfied that I purchased a Taurus handgun because of the above.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts