Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy!

I'm fairly new to the forum, only joined a little while ago.

I got my first chance today to take my new 9mm mil pro out to the range. This is my first pistol. After years using wheel guns I'm finally stepping up to something more modern. ;)

I really like the mil pro, but the Heine sights really take getting used to. Never had Heine sights on any of my prior guns, and my first mag was all over the left side of the paper. Thankfully I'd read the thread here about the Heine sights last night and started applying what I'd read and dialing it in. Put over 200 rounds thru it today, mix of cheap Win 115gr FMJ from Walmart and three different kinds of Federal (including both FMJ target rounds and HP self-defense rounds). By the end I was shooting 3" groups at 7 yards, fairly centered vertically but still a bit left of center. Need to work on that some more, but the groups and position improved with each mag I put thru the gun, so I know it's me and not the mil pro.

Seems like mine likes to have the top of the rear sight aligned with the lower half of the front sight's dot to hit POA vertically. If I try to underscore the front dot with the rear sight as mentioned in the other thread I shoot high.

Only problem was that my mil pro absolutely hated the cheap Win 115gr FMJ ammo. I consistently had 2-3 FTFs per mag. The failing rounds all had a small dent in the primer, but didn't fire. I only got each failed Win round to fire after clearing it and reloading it (the DOA followup didn't help at all). No problems at all with the federal ammo, FMJ/HP didn't matter, the gun ate them right up. But it choked big time on the Win ball ammo.

I might eventually replace the heini sights with a 3-dot, so the sights are consistent with my wheel guns, but frankly I'm more concerned about the problems with the cheap Win ammo. I cleaned her well before going to the range, disassembling it and cleaning the inside and not just the barrel, so dirt/grease shouldn't be the cause of the problem.

Is this common for a new mil pro, or should I be concerned?

·
Registered
327 Posts
It must be that batch of WWB ammo that you got. Sometimes batches of ammo get harder than usual primers, or simply a bad batch of primers, in them and lead to FTF's with small dents in the primers. Striker fired pistols tend to have weaker firing pin strikes compared to hammer fired ones. I get these problems with range reloads (1 or 2 per 100 rounds) at my club. Never a failure with factory ammo so I know it's just a primer issue and had nothing to do with my PT 111 Pro. I have since stayed away from reloads and only use quality factory ammo for range and competitive use.

Magtech 9mm Luger 124 and 147 grain FMC are what I use the most (product codes 9B abd 9G, respectively). The powder they use is very clean burning, too. I can shoot a couple of hundred with about the same powder residue as shooting just 10 or 20 of the WWB variety.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have shot Winchester white box out of my milpro 40 and had the same issues, now federal, cci and hornaby critical defense and a few other cheap ammo I have had no problem with at all. I still shoot that pistol low and left, I'm either jerking or anticipating the recoil but I can still rip out the bullseye at 15 yards with it and that's good enough for government work. They just take some getting used to, the sights, but once you do you will like them allot better, I did.

·
Premium Member
5,350 Posts
Break it in my man, breaking it in.
Should clear up.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I'm fairly new to the forum, only joined a little while ago.

I got my first chance today to take my new 9mm mil pro out to the range. This is my first pistol...

Only problem was that my mil pro absolutely hated the cheap Win 115gr FMJ ammo...it choked big time on the Win ball ammo...
We are pleased to have you join our happy band of Taurus handgun enthusiasts!

As a consolation, the only ammo my PT111 MilPro ever has choked on was Winchester white box ball ammo. Every other kind and brand of ammo I've tried in the little pistol cycles fine.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Same here.WW box out of 2 100rd boxes I've had 8 FTF and one complete no go. My cousin has a XD9c and swears by WW box.I still need to check and see if there is a difference in the others I have.

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
This is odd because mine flies through the WWB and a lot of other ammo's but can't stand Remington UMC.

·
Registered
140 Posts
As the others have said, some guns like different ammo brands. Sometimes its just a bad batch (more common in the cheaper stuff), and other times its the actual brand (more uncommon). Since it's a new gun, I'd do as Loudviking recommended and hold off judgement before a few hundred rounds later and the gun is broken in. You can always go to a different brand and once it's broken in, try the WWB stuff again. The gun's characteristics change as it gets broken in from time to time.

Also, and this is just my personal experience, but the firing pin channel was the dirtiest part of the gun when I received it (think the dealer cleaned it for show before I got my grubby hands on it). You have to take it a bit farther down than a field strip to get in there but it made the world of difference for me. I actually just posted a video that some other guy did and I followed on how to get to the firing pin, and I think there may be some picture tutorials too in the smithing section (really simple, just need a small screwdriver). I actually took a bit of 1000gr (maybe 600gr if you do it lightly) sandpaper and used it inside the channel to make sure it was spotless, shiny and free of burs. You don't have to do the sandpaper route, but I'd recommend taking the pin out and cleaning it and the channel, maybe check for peening on the pin if you continually have issues. Plus its

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Also, and this is just my personal experience, but the firing pin channel was the dirtiest part of the gun when I received it (think the dealer cleaned it for show before I got my grubby hands on it). You have to take it a bit farther down than a field strip to get in there but it made the world of difference for me. I actually just posted a video that some other guy did and I followed on how to get to the firing pin, and I think there may be some picture tutorials too in the smithing section (really simple, just need a small screwdriver). I actually took a bit of 1000gr (maybe 600gr if you do it lightly) sandpaper and used it inside the channel to make sure it was spotless, shiny and free of burs. You don't have to do the sandpaper route, but I'd recommend taking the pin out and cleaning it and the channel, maybe check for peening on the pin if you continually have issues. Plus its
Switchback's got it right - clean that channel out. If you decide to debur with very fine sandpaper, make sure you depress the firing pin block before inserting the rolled-up sandpaper into the channel - otherwise it won't get all the way in. If you dry fire a lot without a snap cap you can peen the firing pin block, and it's easy to tell if that's happened. The way you check is to clear the pistol, then pull the trigger once to get it off the single action sear. Then slowly pull the trigger again in DA mode, and pay particular attention to how the trigger feels at the beginning of the pull - it should be smooth. If you feel a gritiness at first and then it gets smooth - that's what a peened firing pin block feels like. It's easy to fix, but it will definitely cause light strikes.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had a pt140 for about a year it was always reliable never and issue with function. I only fire about 500 rounds thru it and could never get use to the sights either. I am sure once you put a few more boxes thru it the issue will work itself out as the others have said. I never could get use to the mushy trigger either so for me it wasn't enjoyable to shoot. Many seem to love them tho and I know a couple of fellow officers in my dept. that use them as an off duty piece in 9mm.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Your firing pin channel is one thing that isn't going to get better with use - it's going to get dirtier. And a fouled channel is probably the number one cause of light strikes in milpros.

I'll give you another drill that may help. Take a regular old pencil with an eraser on it, clear the weapon, drop the pencil in the barrel while holding the weapon vertically, pull the trigger, and note how high the pencil jumps. Do it several times, and do it from the SA sear - DA will yield a slightly lighter strike than SA - and get an average. Then clean the channel and do it again. If the channel was the problem you should see the pencil jump higher after the cleaning. It should clear the barrel by at least three or four inches.

I clean my firing pin channel every time I shoot my milpro, and I lube it with Rem DriLube with Teflon. It's great stuff, incredibly slippery, and it won't hold crud like oil will. Most bestest stuff for lubing a channel. I also clean and lube the inside of the striker as well as the striker spring assembly. It makes a difference.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Many thanks for all the great advice! I'll definitely look up the video and will clean the firing pin channel to see if that helps.

As far as having a bad batch, I had two boxes of WWB ammo -- a 50 rnd box and a 100 rnd box -- bought three weeks apart from two different Walmarts. So I think it unlikely (though not impossible) that these were from the same batch of ammo.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Welcome from StL MO!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts