Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered my first mosin nagant last night. I cant wait for it to show up !.
I figured for the price, i cant really go wrong.
Any other Mosin owners on here? also is it pronounced Nagan, or nagant?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I believe it is Mo-seen Na-gone. For the most part, everyone "Americanizes" it. I usually just say Mosin (Mo-sin) This site has tons of info on all things Mosin-Nagant: 7.62x54r.net

I have a 91/30 and a M44. My only upgrade are MOJO sights -which are awesome! Mojo Sights | Peep Sights by Mojo Sighting Systems

Reactions: mingaa

·
Super Moderator
40,702 Posts
Reactions: Flinger and mingaa

·
Registered
708 Posts
I've bought 4 of them. Gave my son one and two to my brothers. Also got a 440 round sardine can of ammo for less than $100. Fun to shoot and easy to take apart. Lot's of history. You will enjoy it. You Tube has a ton of vids on it also. Have fun with it.

·
Banned
9,233 Posts

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Everybody should own at least one. Can’t beat the price, ammo is still available and relatively cheap.

And not to mention, a hoot to shoot!

·
Super Moderator
40,702 Posts
One of my friends bought the Type 53 from Bud's. Just to be aware that the furniture was very rough. He stripped it down and did a re-finish job so now it looks nice. I love shooting my 1941 91/30. In fact, I reload for it.
I have heard that about the Chinese rifles, some people also report getting some cool/strange engravings in the wood.

Thanks for the link. I've been thinking about getting one to keep my 91/30 company.
No problem, I still want one, A/C problems used up my gun money for a while. :(

Reactions: rodfair

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, it shipped , should show up Thursday.
Went by Cabella's and got some ammo and some snap caps.
It was nice to see so much ammo for something i own.
At least 100+ boxes. I got some glances since i was able to just walk up, grab what i want and leave... no having to scour the shelves :).
I am a little nervous that i am buying something so old sight unseen. I hope i get a good one.
I ordered from Classic Firearms - Military Surplus Guns and Rifles, Saiga Firearms, Classic Guns, Surplus Ammo, and more! , any opinions?

·
Registered
428 Posts
To my knowledge it is nagan, russian supposedly leave the 't' silent........neat guns as i have 2 and think they are fun to air out.

Enjoy!!!

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
No matter how clean the gun is when it arrives, clean it yourself. Pay close attention to the chamber, getting it clean. Check the firing pin protrusion, U tube and various books all show how it's done, and clean the barrel until you think that there cannot possibly be anything left. Then, leave a wet patch worth of solvent in it for an hour, and prepare to be amazed. Check the muzzle crown, and that all screws are tight. Remember, virtually ALL 7.62x54R military ammunition is CORROSIVE. Clean accordingly, and quickly.

The issue sights will have you shooting quite high at 100 yards, how high depends upon the ammunition used. The 140-155 grain ammunition in surplus, Light Ball, was designed for the Mosin. Heavy Ball, upwards of 200 grains was designed by the Soviets for use in the machine-gun. Some Mosins may not properly stabilize it.

·
Super Moderator
40,702 Posts
When I got mine the barrel was packed solid with that nasty packing grease. I completely disassembled mine and placed all the parts, wood and all, in a long plastic tub and covered them in boiling hot soapy water. Took a few soakings to get all the stuff out of the wood, all the metal cleaned up real nice the first time around.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Is it Mo-seen Na-gone or mossen nagantt? which is it?
Q. How do you pronounce "Mosin Nagant"?
A. MO-seen Nah-GON

from the link I posted earlier.....

also:
Here's an excerpt from Terence Lapin's book "The Mosin-Nagant Rifle"

"Note: In Russian the name "Mosin' is MOCHH and pronounced MO-seen; In American publications the name is often mispelled "Mosin" and accordingly mispronounced. "Nagant", a Walloon (Belgian French) name, is pronounced rather like Nah-GON, the second syllable being nasalized."

I know of no one that actually refers to them often in the original russian-belgian-french-ese........

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
all I have to say is nice! I am considering but one myself and I have seriously considered buying a nagant pistol due to there is plenty of ammo now

·
Premium Member
11,265 Posts
all I have to say is nice! I am considering but one myself and I have seriously considered buying a nagant pistol due to there is plenty of ammo now
I remember when the ammo was actually more expensive than the pistol. :laugh:

I just ordered a 91/30. With prices going the way they are, I figured I better get one, just to have. I had sold my last 91/30 over a year ago. Sold it for less than $100, and still came out ahead. The only MN I kept was a 91/59. Now that prices are more than double what I originally paid, I figured I better get while the gettins good. I even had one as a sport conversion.
Gun Rifle Trigger Firearm Air gun

They can clean up real nice. I don't think I'll be doing that to my next MNs.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts