Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a gun I can't get rid of due to sentimental reasons (it was my dad's and he has past on). The PT 92 works pretty well unless you use light loads (the old heavy steel slide need the extra umph to eject shells properly). What I need help on is that I can't find magazines for it. In 1987 or so taurus raised the magazine catch to come closer to the beretta.
My question is
Can I change my magazine well so it will use the new taurus pt 92 mags?
Also Is there a place that still sells the old taurus mags?
Is it possible to modify exsisting beretta or taurus mags to fit my old gun, reliably?

Luckily I also have a glock17 and a PX4 but I would really like to still use my dads old taurus. M/aybe even for competion.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Short answer is that you can use military surplus Beretta magazines and move the catch point up and they will work like a charm. I do suggest though, that you first insert the Beretta mag in the Taurus all the way and while holding it in tight, rack the slide a few time with rounds in it to make sure it feeds without issue. I used a Dremel to grind on mine. It takes about an 1/8 of an inch, but I highly suggest you do a little at a time to get it "just right". I sold mine a few years ago, but held onto my extra magazines. I just picked up a new Taurus PT92 and I'll be dambed, the modified mags won't work. Taurus must have modified the magazine well to not take them. To say the least, I'm a bit unhappy about that move that Taurus made. I won't get rid of the pistol as they did something right and put a picatinny rail on the new one. However, I am in the process of negotiating with a person that has a 1987 version right now so I can use those mags. I guess I'll just have to suck it up with the new one and buy a few new 17 round mags for it. Does anyone know of a good website with a fair price to fine them at?

·
Super Moderator
40,613 Posts
Both of you
to the forum from the Florida Keys! :wave:

If you are looking for Taurus original factory mags look for the 15 rounders with the black follower. I have a mix of older PT-99's (same as PT-92's except adjustable sights) and the only magazine issue I have between them is the original European mag release mags do not have a cut for the other versions. Other then that all my mags work in all the versions spanning from 1986 to 2012.

As far as affordable mags go try here: Taurus 92/99 9MM 15RD OE MECGAR Magazine New

·
Registered
24,806 Posts
Welcome to TA from Minnesota to both of you

·
Registered
36,676 Posts
HMM? now thats intersting for sure!
I have a 1987 Taurus Pt99 as well and it accepts modern 92/99 magazines just fine, So i don't really know what to say other than if you are looking for factory magazines CDNN has them right now and are on sale, if modern mags will not work in your older gun i can't help ya except try taurus itself.

Reactions: Qwiks draw

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have several aftermarket magazines that had the newer catch location. I had the factory magazines, and I just notched the newer magazines to match. It was fairly easy to do (I did it, which says something since I'm not a great craftsman.) I have had no problems with the modified aftermarket mags (mostly USA brand I think).
I bought couple Beretta 92 magazines that were pretty cheap but haven't modified them yet. I see no reason they won't be equally as easy to do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts