Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was offered one of these guns by a local smith whom I've been doing business with for a bit. The price seems pretty good according to gunbroker research, but I was curious if anyone had any experience with these. How do they compare to the new ones? I believe a 1966 falls into the first generation of them being made, but not 100% on that. I'm looking for a nice .22lr pistol, but also something that will stand the test of time for at least as long as I will want to use it. Are the ejector housings on this particular model also made of aluminum, as the new ones are? There are a couple of rubs on the bottom side where the paint is flaking off, so I believe them to be. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Any experience? Naysayers and enthusiasts alike!

Thanks.

· Registered
9,595 Posts
That 66 Bearcat is indeed "first generation" and has an alloy frame. Those early ones command $$$! I have a Super Bearcat from the early '70s (if my foggy memory is correct). It has a steel frame, and I loooove my Bearcat. Depending upon the size of your hands & what you plan to do with it you may or maynot feel the same way. The only thing DH likes about it is to look at it. He just can't get a good hold on it to shoot it with any accuracy at the range. I like shooting it, but find it a bit short for dedicated target work at the range. The Bearcat is a piece of firearms history, regardless of what you plan to do with it, it is one of those "gotta' have one" for the collection things! I don't think you would every be sorry you got it, and if you don't I know you will be -sorry, that is!:angel:

Reactions: TexasAviator

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well like I said, the price seems lovely compared to gunbroker. I made contact with him this morning and will be picking it up tomorrow. So she is for sure mine. I was looking for a .22 mostly for my fiancee' but the fact that it's a collector's piece as well really sold me, AND the price lol.

We have a range date planned for this weekend, so it will be nice to pick up the piece and take her to test her out. LUCKILY I already have a box of shells lol.

Thanks for your input Sekol, I enjoyed it.

Reactions: TexasAviator

· Registered
30,171 Posts
Enjoy the Bearcat. My first experience with a revolver was with a Bearcat, at the time it felt big in my hands! :D. They are great little revolvers! Enjoy, without seeing it it sounds like you made a great buy!

· Registered
9,595 Posts
Have a GREAT time at the range this weekend with your gal and your Bearcat - if you can, let us know how it shoot and post pictures. You are sooo lucky you've got some 22lr ammo! Congrat's all the way around!:)

· Registered
1,747 Posts
I had one from the early '60's and they are cool to handle and look at but IMHO, that's where it ends. I tried desperately to get some kind of consistant accuracy from my BC and it just wouldn't print. I even tried shorts with a little improvement, all in all, they are cute and nostalgic but in this case, I'm not a fan. The Ruger single Six? Now that's another kettle of fish!

· Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So here she is...
Revolver Gun Product Starting pistol Trigger

Great shooter and the fiancée absolutely loves it! My first revolver and I want another now lol.

Attachments

· Registered
3,762 Posts
I bought one new in Hamilton Montana in August 1969. I was home on leave prior to PCS to a new command in Japan. I paid $44.00 for the gun, $5.00 for a tooled leather holster from Boise and he threw in a box of 22 Long Rifles. Had the gun for 13 years, traded it for a T/C Contender. It was a good gun and I don't regret trading it.

Reactions: Sekol

· Registered
1,831 Posts
I have one exactly like it. The grips on mine are rosewood, I think. You're right about the frame being painted. But since ours are from the 60s it must be a good paint! I bought it when I was 16. The first handgun I ever owned. My son at age 16 or 17 shot a squirrel from a tree first shot. I'm sure it was a lucky shot but he has been in love with it ever since.
It's my understanding the old ones are manufactured much better than the new ones.

I would love to know the price value of the gun. They are indeed a collector item now days.
I keep mine in the safe and when I do fire it I use shorts. I just want to keep it in good condition for as long as possible.
You have a real beauty there.
Have fun with it.

· Registered
21,536 Posts
Congrats! The Bearcat is one of the coolest guns on the planet IMHO!

· Registered
9,595 Posts
So here she is...
View attachment 47660

Great shooter and the fiancée absolutely loves it! My first revolver and I want another now lol.

She sure is a cutie!!! I LOVE the brass. My Super Bearcat just has a black trigger guard. Enjoy your Baby Bearcat - that's what I call mine!;)

· Registered
2,717 Posts
Ok, I'm going to resurrect this dinosaur thread. I am looking at trading for this 1966 Bearcat and I'm wondering what kind of value I can put on it.
Does anyone know about this finish? I'd hate to think the bluing has been mistreated to the point the point of looking like this. He said he was disappointed that a gun store offered him $250 for it. I just got a hi point 995 that I'm thinking about trading it for.

Two very different guns, up to me to decide if it's the right move or not.

Input would be appreciated :)

· Registered
25,063 Posts
Don't trade your gun for a HiPoint. HiPoint is a good gun just not worth what you Bear Cat is worth.

· Registered
3,201 Posts
Congratulations on your acquisition of a wonderful piece of American wheel gun history.....

· Premium Member
14,418 Posts
Ok, I'm going to resurrect this dinosaur thread. I am looking at trading for this 1966 Bearcat and I'm wondering what kind of value I can put on it.
Does anyone know about this finish? I'd hate to think the bluing has been mistreated to the point the point of looking like this. He said he was disappointed that a gun store offered him $250 for it. I just got a hi point 995 that I'm thinking about trading it for.

Two very different guns, up to me to decide if it's the right move or not.

Input would be appreciated :)
Considering a gun store has to make a profit, I think $250 was a fair offer on a Bearcat that has lost its bluing and is possibly pitted.

What does the other side look like? That ejector rod housing hides a lot.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.