Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went back this morning, stripped and inspected it and I BOUGHT it.

I just went to the LGS to browse and perhaps put a deposit on a Rock Island Armory 1911. The gentleman behind the counter asked what I wanted to see and I told him I'm looking for a 1911. He said "Funny thing ... you want to see a nice 1911? It was built in 1918 and we just took it in on trade." I can only say FRIGGIN' BEAUTIFUL!! It is tight as a drum and still blue with little wear or scratches. Original magazine. Way out of what I was planning on spending, but I'm checking the budget right now. It felt like an honor to hold in my hands.
IMG019.jpg
IMG020.jpg
IMG021.jpg

Reactions: aquajim

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
That is so cool. A WWI gun that isn't a piece of junk and is still being ordered new today.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
The oldies are difinitely goodies. They do show up from time to time. Some people don't understand and want to get rid of that "old gun Great Grandpa brought home from the war.

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
Wow, That does it, I am setting up a fund. Iwill fill it with enough to purchase one of these pieces of art whenever, or if I am lucky enought to walk across one!

Between this one and the one .45 posted... :drool::D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Makes me kick myself everytime I think of the 1908 Colt 380 that was in stunningly reblued almost new shape for $750 at a local gun store about five years ago when the economy tanked.

I had looked for that exact gun for twenty years and then went back to that gun store three times holding back until it was gone.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Scared me. At first I thought the stock# was the price. WOW! On second look, that seems like a reasonable price for a piece of history.

·
Super Moderator
35,529 Posts
Can he put it on lay-away for you with 30% down?

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can he put it on lay-away for you with 30% down?
25% will hold it for me. He's a good guy. I've bought a couple of nice guns from him before.

·
Super Moderator
35,529 Posts
That's the way I would go then, stick another C note down on it when you get the chance over the next 6-8 months and bring home a piece of history. I believe that it is a competitive price considering the age and condition, but you can research that also.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
That's a very nice find, indeed!

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Wow two of these in one week. I'd be tempted to trade one of my other babies (guns not kid) for this jewel.

·
Super Moderator
35,529 Posts
Congrats Willboat on the new vintage pistol! Show us a photo once you get that tag off of it...range report also if you're going to light 'er up.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Congrats Willboat on the new vintage pistol! Show us a photo once you get that tag off of it...range report also if you're going to light 'er up.
Thanks, Czech
I'm picking it up next Saturday and after a good cleaning and greasing, I'm planning on blowing a couple of mags in the back yard if it's not 11 degrees like today, then off to the range the following Monday. It's been gently refinished, so it's not perfect, but I don't expect to see a better one in that price range for a long time. I've got new springs ordered that should arrive before the gun gets home. I always get impatient suffering through Rhode Island's eight-day waiting period, but this one really has me excited.
On a side note, this is the only gun site where people are truly excited to see other members new purchases and take the time to respond. I love my Taurus PT99 and will probably have more T's, but this site recognizes that there are other gun makers. No snobs here.
Thanks for the hard work you Mods have put into the site.
Will

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
I'm glad it was still there for you.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm glad it was still there for you.
Jim, I was at the door when he opened. My wife, not a fan of guns, pushed me out the door and told me to grab that piece of history before someone else did. Lucky Friday the thirteenth for me.

·
Registered
36,024 Posts
Nice old Colt!
I don't know if i have seen one this old in a gunshop, at least in that condition.
I got a buddy that I use to work with that has a Remington Rand and a "I think its correctly" a Union Signal and Switch from WW II that are in really good shape.
he picked up both in the last 15 years or so working in a gun shop and they came in on trade.

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
Jim, I was at the door when he opened. My wife, not a fan of guns, pushed me out the door and told me to grab that piece of history before someone else did. Lucky Friday the thirteenth for me.
Wow. The story keeps getting better.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts