Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
do you have it installed correctly?

One side is flat the other is rounded and if you put it in wrong it wont disengage and youll only get light primer strikes and no bang.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't had it apart. I dont even know how it comes out. When the trigger is pulled with the slide off it wont raise up. I went to the gun shop yesterday and tried a pt1911 he had and you can tell his had more travel in the trigger than mine did. So all I can figure is that there is some sort of a problem in the trigger mechanism. Also we pulled the slide off of his and when you pulled the trigger the blocker thing would raise but not on mine. Thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
There is a spring under that firing pin block. How many rounds do you have through the gun ? Have you tried a little squirt of Break Free on the pin ? With a tiny screwdriver or pin can you lift the pin ?

Des

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you turn the gun upside down that thing will come up but it just wont when you pull the trigger. As far as how many rounds, It's brand new never fired

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
First, check to see that the gun doesn't have a heavy oil coating. Spray Break Free into the fire control area to make sure the two levers which compromise the safety in the lower frame are working... along with the disconnector opperating in the sear.

Some reports have told us that their guns were packed in a heavy oil to prevent rust in transit (not as bad as cosmoline, but messy)... you should remove your girps and spray something like break free to disolve the heavy grease and leave a light coating of oil.

Otherwide sounds like something was installed wrong... you may have gotten a Friday afternoon gun. You really have two options:

Exercise your warranty option... which will mean sending the gun back (unless the dealer you bought from will exchange). The down side is that it looks like a full six weeks for return.

Have the gunsmith strip the fire control and correct the reversed part. Ususally it will cost you about the same as sending the gun back to Taurus and you will have it back in days rather than weeks. As long as the gunsmith knows his business, nothing he will do will alter your warranty for future needs.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dropped it at he dealer and he said if his smith is coming up then he will look at it but if he aint coming soon then it will be sent back to taurus

·
Registered
38 Posts
Please post back after the problem is corrected and let us know the cause. It might help another shooter with the same problem in the future.

Des

·
Registered
73 Posts
Another option, if you're brave and have a degree of technical ability would be to take it apart and inspect it. I can provide links and detailed pictures that will help with taking it apart, inspection and putting it back together. The 1911 is one of the easiest pistols to pull apart and put back together. Once you have it apart, either take some pics or I'll take some of my pistol for comparisons sake.

Doing it yourself is free, educational and empowering. Always good to know a bit about your own weapons.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would have loved to do it myself but I didn't know if that would void warranty. Plus if I get in there and pieces were broken then I'd have to pay for them. If it was a used gun then I would have tore it apart in a heart beat. I think I could take one apart since I make a living working on heavy equipment but since it was brand new I figured I would let them handle it. Justice4all, once I start upgrading parts I may still take you up on the offer. Thanks

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well got it back today and the paper said they adjusted the assembly and replaced the safety. Going to try it out tommorow.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
What exactly did they adjust? Was it the series 80 trigger bar lever or the plunger lever? These two levers acting in concert allows the unlocking of the firing pin plunger.

I removed this unnecessary modification from all of my 1911's. JM Brownings design worked quite effectively for decades before the fear of law suits motivated the manufacturers to install this additional hardware.

Glad you have your pistol back and I hope that you have no further issues.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
James it was all free of charge. The gun was brand new. Shot it today and everything seems to be in proper working order

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah I do all my buisness with him. Whittaker guns close to owensboro ky. 270-229-0140 He has a website also.They run an excellent shop

1 - 20 of 20 Posts