Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So reading one of the 1911 threads it looks like Taurus is not shipping out extractors for PT 1911's. Why is a question of mine? I'm not expecting anyone to answer that though. My question for general discussion is on the hammer in particular.

I am no smith, barely an amateur tinkerer. If I understand correctly they did redesign the hammer for the series 80 pistols. If I remember correctly it went from a hook at the half cock position to a flat surface. My first question is, did Taurus do this or did they use something more along the lines of the pre series 80 design?

The reason for my asking is I can not see the point in paying to ship a 1911 to have the extractor replaced. I can do it myself or even if I took it to a local smith at worst they charge about what it would cost to ship it and I could have it faster and not have to worry about shipping at all. My only issue is I know from experience that, at least the extractors I have tired, don't retain the firing pin block.

I have tried pulling the trigger with the hammer at half cock (yes unloaded :D ) and nothing happened, the hammer didn't fall. My understanding is that it would have fallen if the hammer had the newer design. (Unfortunately currently I don't have another series 80 type to compare to). I am having a tough time telling from the blowup diagram in the manual and I don't want to take mine apart at the moment

So my second question: If that is the case and the hammer is similar to the older pre series 80 design, it wouldn't make it any different than an older 1911 without the lawyer parts. Am I correct here, am I missing something. I am trying to find a solution like the pre Series 80 hammers that would catch better in the even of a hammer follow situation.

I don't need to replace anything now but a Taurus extractor was on my list of things to order. If they don't make send them out, I might as well convert it when I need a new extractor and I am wanting to know if I should replace the hammer too. (yes I know it would take away the Taurus locking mechanism) I don't want to replace the hammer but I will if I need to.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
IIRC the reason they went from a hook to a notch is the hook is known to break off and thus disabling the half cock. They are still interchangeable.

I swapped out the stock hammer for a speed hammer and it functions perfectly in the PT.

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
I have a feeling that this is just one of many reasons that some people convert their Series-80 1911's back to a Series-70 type with an insert that replaces those internals.

Reactions: TexasAviator

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
With the Series 80 hammer, the location of half-cock was also moved so that when engaged, the hammer is
closer to the slide than on the series 70. This, usually combined with a heavier firing pin spring, means that
even if pulling the trigger would drop the hammer from half-cock, there wouldn't be enough power behind it to
fire a chambered round.

View attachment 58796

I personally see no reason to change out the hammer, unless you are going for a different look or specifically
want to get rid of the locking system.

·
Registered
29,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would like to keep the hammer as is.

I am guessing using a heavier firing pin spring is going to be the way to go if Taurus won't send out new extractors and the after market ones don't keep the firing pin block in.

I can't see any reason to send it back to them, when it's something that simple. Am I missing anything?

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
I would like to keep the hammer as is.

I am guessing using a heavier firing pin spring is going to be the way to go if Taurus won't send out new extractors and the after market ones don't keep the firing pin block in.

I can't see any reason to send it back to them, when it's something that simple. Am I missing anything?
The last extractor I broke, earlier this year, Taurus (eventually) sent me a stainless one as a replacement because the blued were
on indefinite back order with a long, long waiting list. I finally got around to deciding to put a blued extractor back in the other night,
and tried a Wilson Bulletproof, which wouldn't hold the FPB in (Hence the need to call Taurus for extractors). A friend of mine
has had no problem using them in his PT1911. I'm sending the Wilson back to Midway and exchanging it for an Ed Brown, which I
have been told should have no issues with the FPB.

Reactions: TexasAviator

·
Registered
29,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The last extractor I broke, earlier this year, Taurus (eventually) sent me a stainless one as a replacement because the blued were
on indefinite back order with a long, long waiting list. I finally got around to deciding to put a blued extractor back in the other night,
and tried a Wilson Bulletproof, which wouldn't hold the FPB in (Hence the need to call Taurus for extractors). A friend of mine
has had no problem using them in his PT1911. I'm sending the Wilson back to Midway and exchanging it for an Ed Brown, which I
have been told should have no issues with the FPB.
I have had trouble with the Wilson as well. I have never tried the Ed Brown.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts