Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I have had a few conversations about how my Taurus 1911 is crap even though it is lights out accurate. Ive consistently been told that I need a Kimber or Colt because they hold their value. However, when you look at it, this simply isnt true. If you by a kimber or colt for $1000, when you go to sell it, you may get $750-$800. However, if you buy a Taurus 1911 for $500, you can sell it for $350-$400. Now correct me if I am wrong but isnt that about the same amount of money? Heck, the taurus seems to be better.

Now I am not bashing any other brand out there. I have held several Kimbers and they are sweet. I hope to shoot one soon. But, when you bring the term investment in, thats an argument I just dont see in favor of the major brands unless you can get it at crackhead prices (lol). Help me understand.

·
Registered
13,872 Posts
I'm hearing you. My son is a gun snob and swears by is high dollar brand name manufacturer 1911s. Yet, as he is unjamming, cursing out, talking about selling his selections, I am shooting mine issue free dead accurate PT1911. And when I get tired of firing .45acp I swap out the slide/barrel/magazine and start shooting 38super rounds target bound.

The strange thing I have noticed about the Taurus PT1911 value is that the price can vary widely from one time to another. One month you can find a new PT1911 for $400 and the next month you can't touch one for under $550.

And while I am not a fan of the stainless finish on my new PT1911 9mm it is as accurate and issue free as the other PT1911 Taurus I own.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
I'm with you. Name brand equates to "better quality" at least in marketing minds. They push it out so everyone knows it's name. Not to say that they aren't quality but others are quality too. They just don't have the big budget marketing money. I've heard people say "Taurus has to give you a lifetime warranty because they know their stuff is junk"? My answer is well if it is junk then they're better because they want to keep you as a happy customer for life. Others give you a year and you're on your own. Sounds like they don't care about you much? I get some funny looks then I laugh! :D

Reactions: jonrjen

·
Registered
29,862 Posts
The "gun snobs" used to belly-laugh Rock Island 1911's because they were made in the Philippines; after overall public acceptance, now the landslide's in the other direction. Despite the reliability of Taurus 1911's & PT-92's owners are still in second place for "general respect"; hopefully one day soon that will change...

·
Registered
29,757 Posts
I personally find the ROI on my Taurus to be equal to that of the higher dollar brands. (Not including custom shops)

·
Registered
24,543 Posts
I don't consider ROI because I'm not selling.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
Anyone who buys a firearm as an investment is representative of the saying: "A fool and his money will soon part!" Such an activity is far more risky than playing the stock market. To get a firearm that will have investment value at some point in the future, you will have to put out an astronomical amount of money up front, I am talking high end custom made weapons and not typical manufactured ones off an assembly line. Besides, the resale value of any weapon, is the value the buyer wishes to spend for said weapon, and how bad (s)he wants the weapon. ....This is a discussion that has been around for many years and it never seems to change. Value, will always be in the hands of the consumer; price it too high, and you will have it for a long time. ....
2cents.gif

Reactions: skimp and jonrjen

·
Registered
43 Posts
Touche!

As a Taurus owner, it isn't as bad as people made it seems like. I 've put over 7k through mines & barely have a FTF or FTE. Although, a Kimber or Colt are more refine guns but on a price value you made a good valid point there. To me, it's more of a preference & how deep your pocket is. At the end of the day, when you pull the trigger they both go BANG! BANG!

·
Registered
337 Posts
100 to 150 loss on a 1000 investment is 10 - 15 % rather than 20 - 30% on a $500 investment.

but on the flip side. if they both last the same number of rounds, then $ spent per round fired is a lot less.

i dont know many people that buy a firearm with the intention to sell it a few years down the track, its not like its a car.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I also look at it this way. for the price of amkimber, I could buy a PT1911 for $550, take a combat pistol class for $300 and buy 500 rounds of .45 for $180 and a nice holster for $50. Now in a self defense scenario, who will be deadlier? Whatever advantage the kimber gives wouldn't compare to the training a trigger time of the savings wih the taurus.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Guns are like cars.
Hyundai's used to be considered junk because of their 10 year warranty.
Their price new reflected market opinion.

Now they have the respect they deserve and the price has matched the competition.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Guns are not investments, period. Buy them as tools. You will only rarely sell them at a profit, usually at a loss. Buy and shoot what pleases YOU.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Guns are not investments, period. Buy them as tools. You will only rarely sell them at a profit, usually at a loss. Buy and shoot what pleases YOU.
Great point - I've always thought of selling a used gun as somewhat equivalent to "salvage value", except in extreme circumstances. I personally am a cheap SOB who generally buys used capital goods anyways........

·
Banned
519 Posts
There is no real return on guns. even if it IS a rare one. as in "the colt factory only made a trial run of 15 in 1912 and serialized them from 1 to 15. and yours, #15 is the only one that was never fired". or you can look at things this way. in the world of smith and Wesson revolvers, they'll charge you more to buy the used version that has a one piece barrel. "better quality craftsman ship and all". but when you chime in with "hey my Taurus doesn't use a two piece barrel". they chime in with your gun is crap because everyone knows the 2 piece barrel has better accuracy.

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Yeah, my Taurus 1911 is extremely accurate and 100% reliable...so what am I supposed to do to improve on it? Paint it like this Colt?

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
I disagree, the only production guns that do go up in value are COLT's. That is if they are in excellent condition, it's not that COLT is that much better than any other manufacturer, it's the COLT collectors/fanatics. I have sold a COLT SAA (not my only one) quadrupled what I paid. Sold a COLT AR-15 for 3 1/2 times what I paid, also not my only one. Sold a COLT Mustang for 3 times what I paid for it also not my only one.

If you by a COLT today and put it in the safe for 15 yrs. It will go up in value, not so with other manufacturers unless it's Holland and Holland or some of the other handmade custom shotguns or double rifles.

·
Registered
36,101 Posts
Yep!
I agree, just didn't want to get into the dreamers heads here and start a bad debate.
I have several 1911's that I truly believe that I can get my money back, plus a dollar or two shoud I decide to sale them.
the Colt Combat Elite that I have 750 bucks in, the Dan Wesson Point man high capacity that I have 600 bucks in, the Springfield Range Officer that i have 650 in, the Springfield Micro compact that I have 600 in.
Now sure these were used weapons in great shape but I think everyone is not going to hurt me if I dump them.
not so with the Rock island, the Citadel ,the Taurus,etc.
I buy them to shoot but I can appreciate upper class weapons regardless of brand.

Reactions: oso

·
Registered
911 Posts
I don't buy guns for resale value...I buy for use. If it works don't fix it. I've seen $1K plus 1911s jam and malfunction at IDPA matches while my old Springfield never skipped a beat.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts