Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1911 rattles?

5K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  dbeardslee 
#1 ·
I had my blue 1911 9mm out the other day and noticed a faint rattle (cleared no ammo or mag) under closer inspection I noticed that the slide near the trigger had what I consider be excessive play. The slide probably gives 1/16 to 1/8 on the frame at the hammer. The front seems tight. Is this normal or do I need to call CS and see about sending it on vacation for a check up?

#2 ·
I don't have any rattle in my PT 1911, but in 1911's in general (excluding hand fitted higher end 1911's) a rattle is a feature not a fault!

I've shot some that rattled more than a old beat-up pickup on an old dirt road, but they still shot straight and went bang every time!

Without seeing it I would assume its fine, I'm no smith and maybe the others here will disagree, just my two cents.

If you are able, post a photo and let us take a look, might help too.

Reactions: gbusmech
#3 ·
Can you get a pick of the back of the slide where it mates with the frame? Virtually all slides are going to have a little slop in them, but 1/8" would be excessive. One thing you'll almost always hear rattling if you shake a series 80 type 1911 front-to-back is the firing pin block levers - and that will sound very faint. Nothing to worry about, though. They don't have any tension on them unless you're pulling the trigger, so they're just kind of hanging loosely inside the pistol when there's no trigger pressure holding them in place. Triggers can rattle back and forth a little too.

#4 ·
quit shaking it! :)

Reactions: Tape
#10 ·
OUCH< Math gives me a headache, but isn't a 1/8 of an inch like 125 /thousands??
thats kind of excessive if you ask me.
course you didn't so I am going to lay down now and see if this headache will go away.

#12 ·
[QUOTE I've shot some that rattled more than a old beat-up pickup on an old dirt road, but they still shot straight and went bang every time! QUOTE]

I think that you are talking about my pistol. I thought about having it tuned up, but the people here discouraged that for me and they were right, It shoots great! Even when it's full of pocket lint, dust, crud and needs cleaned. Not bad for a pistol that was made in 1943 and seen action in at least two wars.

Brand Logo Graphics

Reactions: TexasAviator
#13 ·
I am sorry folks, a 1/8 is excessive. It does go side to side a good bit, I thought It was excessive. After reading yalls stories on here forget I even mentioned it. I now know that that isn't a worry to be concerned with. Thank you.

#16 · (Edited)
If you watch the Tripp Research slow motion video you can see that the movement of the slide doesn't start till the bullet is out of the barrel, so unless your standing there pointing your gun and shaking it while you squeeze the trigger, it should go where you point to, even if when the recoil allows you to get another aim the slide is not in the same place you get a new sight picture and adjust for it, thats normal, so to answer your question (no) the rattling of a 1911 does not affect the accuracy.

#17 ·
While the slide isn't moving before the projectile leaves the barrel, the entire pistol is. And it's moving because the head of the cartridge is pushing back against the slide - which is why lockup is important. Without a tight lockup it's possible that the barrel will move before the projectile leaves, or more likely that the slide won't return to exactly the same position after recoil and so the sights will be pointed in a slightly different place in relation to where the barrel is pointing. Either one is bad for accuracy. Here's a super high speed video of a 45 projectile leaving the barrel. Note the pistols rearward slide prior to the projectile exiting. The movement of the weapon is also why follow through is so important to accuracy. The weapon needs to recoil the same way each time for the best performance, and that's up to the shooter.

#18 ·
While the slide isn't moving before the projectile leaves the barrel, the entire pistol is. And it's moving because the head of the cartridge is pushing back against the slide - which is why lockup is important. Without a tight lockup it's possible that the barrel will move before the projectile leaves, or more likely that the slide won't return to exactly the same position after recoil and so the sights will be pointed in a slightly different place in relation to where the barrel is pointing. Either one is bad for accuracy. Here's a super high speed video of a 45 projectile leaving the barrel. Note the pistols rearward slide prior to the projectile exiting. The movement of the weapon is also why follow through is so important to accuracy. The weapon needs to recoil the same way each time for the best performance, and that's up to the shooter.
]
I'd think about using a different load db.. your bullet was moving kinda slow... :D

(I've always thought slow motion photography of stuff like this was neat)

Reactions: dbeardslee
#21 ·
I think the barrel to bushing fit is more important to accuracy than slide to frame, seeing that even if the slide falls in a different location on the frame you always have to take aim at every shot and compensate, a well fit bushing will keep the barrel locked tight to the slide every time.
How much shaking of the gun can the recoil make within a nano second? because thats how long it takes for the bullet to leave the barrel.
By the way I think it would be a good idea if you were to post that video to a sticky for other members to watch.

#22 ·
The bushing to barrel fit is directly related to the fitting of the lugs to the slide. That's one way to tell if your bushing is too tight - push up on the barrel (installed in the slide) and if it springs up a bit your bushing is too tight. It's the inside edge of the bushing that gets adjusted to facilitate proper lockup of the lugs. The geometry needs to be right on both ends of the barrel, so that the barrel will sit in the same spot every time. If the barrel were to move .008" in relation to the sights that would amount to a change in poi of about 1" or more for a 1911 with a 5" barrel at 25 yards. How much shaking of the gun can the recoil make in a nano second? Not much, but it doesn't have to. Your right though - as long as the barrel stays in the same spot in relation to the slide (and therefore the sights), the slide to frame fit doesn't make as much difference. Except maybe as it relates to the link, which holds the barrel in place and is also connected to the slide. And all that stuff makes a contribution to accuracy, and it's why the tolerances are usually closer on match grade weapons.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.