Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my blue 1911 9mm out the other day and noticed a faint rattle (cleared no ammo or mag) under closer inspection I noticed that the slide near the trigger had what I consider be excessive play. The slide probably gives 1/16 to 1/8 on the frame at the hammer. The front seems tight. Is this normal or do I need to call CS and see about sending it on vacation for a check up?

·
Registered
29,777 Posts
I don't have any rattle in my PT 1911, but in 1911's in general (excluding hand fitted higher end 1911's) a rattle is a feature not a fault!

I've shot some that rattled more than a old beat-up pickup on an old dirt road, but they still shot straight and went bang every time!

Without seeing it I would assume its fine, I'm no smith and maybe the others here will disagree, just my two cents.

If you are able, post a photo and let us take a look, might help too.

Reactions: gbusmech

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Can you get a pick of the back of the slide where it mates with the frame? Virtually all slides are going to have a little slop in them, but 1/8" would be excessive. One thing you'll almost always hear rattling if you shake a series 80 type 1911 front-to-back is the firing pin block levers - and that will sound very faint. Nothing to worry about, though. They don't have any tension on them unless you're pulling the trigger, so they're just kind of hanging loosely inside the pistol when there's no trigger pressure holding them in place. Triggers can rattle back and forth a little too.

·
Registered
32,083 Posts
quit shaking it! :)

Reactions: Tape

·
Banned
893 Posts
but 1/8" would be excessive.
I disagree but thats jmo, I have held many bulleye pistols that rattle and had some slide slop. I say shoot it and if it malfunctions it has a lifetime warranty, nothing to worry about.

Jake, you are a TrIp

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I disagree but thats jmo, I have held many bulleye pistols that rattle and had some slide slop. I say shoot it and if it malfunctions it has a lifetime warranty, nothing to worry about.
If the slide has 1/8" movement, that's almost enough for it to come completely off a rail. I seriously doubt it's got that much slop in it, but I'd still like to see a pic.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Every time I chamber a round and pull the trigger mine makes a helluva noise. I guess I wouldn't worry unless I could see the slide wobbling all over the place. Doesn't the barrel linkage rattle a bit too?

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I agree with dbeardslee, it's probably the lawyer parts, and a little play in the slide, but a 1/8" is very excessive to the point the slide would just about come off the frame.

·
Registered
36,588 Posts
OUCH< Math gives me a headache, but isn't a 1/8 of an inch like 125 /thousands??
thats kind of excessive if you ask me.
course you didn't so I am going to lay down now and see if this headache will go away.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
[QUOTE I've shot some that rattled more than a old beat-up pickup on an old dirt road, but they still shot straight and went bang every time! QUOTE]

I think that you are talking about my pistol. I thought about having it tuned up, but the people here discouraged that for me and they were right, It shoots great! Even when it's full of pocket lint, dust, crud and needs cleaned. Not bad for a pistol that was made in 1943 and seen action in at least two wars.

1.1 USA.gif

Reactions: TexasAviator

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am sorry folks, a 1/8 is excessive. It does go side to side a good bit, I thought It was excessive. After reading yalls stories on here forget I even mentioned it. I now know that that isn't a worry to be concerned with. Thank you.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I have a 1911 Rescue Service for all those owners that want to get rid of their rattling 1911's.

Just call BR-549 and leave a message.
And for those of you too young to remember that reference...

·
Registered
624 Posts
If you watch the Tripp Research slow motion video you can see that the movement of the slide doesn't start till the bullet is out of the barrel, so unless your standing there pointing your gun and shaking it while you squeeze the trigger, it should go where you point to, even if when the recoil allows you to get another aim the slide is not in the same place you get a new sight picture and adjust for it, thats normal, so to answer your question (no) the rattling of a 1911 does not affect the accuracy.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
While the slide isn't moving before the projectile leaves the barrel, the entire pistol is. And it's moving because the head of the cartridge is pushing back against the slide - which is why lockup is important. Without a tight lockup it's possible that the barrel will move before the projectile leaves, or more likely that the slide won't return to exactly the same position after recoil and so the sights will be pointed in a slightly different place in relation to where the barrel is pointing. Either one is bad for accuracy. Here's a super high speed video of a 45 projectile leaving the barrel. Note the pistols rearward slide prior to the projectile exiting. The movement of the weapon is also why follow through is so important to accuracy. The weapon needs to recoil the same way each time for the best performance, and that's up to the shooter.

·
Registered
29,777 Posts
While the slide isn't moving before the projectile leaves the barrel, the entire pistol is. And it's moving because the head of the cartridge is pushing back against the slide - which is why lockup is important. Without a tight lockup it's possible that the barrel will move before the projectile leaves, or more likely that the slide won't return to exactly the same position after recoil and so the sights will be pointed in a slightly different place in relation to where the barrel is pointing. Either one is bad for accuracy. Here's a super high speed video of a 45 projectile leaving the barrel. Note the pistols rearward slide prior to the projectile exiting. The movement of the weapon is also why follow through is so important to accuracy. The weapon needs to recoil the same way each time for the best performance, and that's up to the shooter.
]
I'd think about using a different load db.. your bullet was moving kinda slow... :D

(I've always thought slow motion photography of stuff like this was neat)

Reactions: dbeardslee
1 - 20 of 22 Posts