Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What can I say this gun shot awesome. I really loved everything about the gun except for two things. The grips were kinda cheap and I thought the sites really sucked. Other than that the gun rocked.

·
Registered
22 Posts
do any of your other pistols have the "straight 8" sights?

i must admit they took some gettin use to for me but eventually i got the hang of it. now i'm deadly.

the grips are a kinda cheesy but functional. think'n bout changin the grips on my pt1911 but not sure if that will void the warrenty.
guess i could just switch'em back if i ever had to return it to the factory...

·
32,785 Posts
Changing grips doesn't void he warranty. Home gunsmithing or changing the function by any means just might void the warranty.
Changing sights shouldn't either.

It seems along with the 1911 "mystique" comes man's obsession to add bells and whistles. LOL. Point being that change can be good and is not frowned upon by the gun makers. That's within reason though.

There are those who will tacti-cool their guns with all kinds of doodads and such.

A lot of what others have done here at this forum to their pistols and revolvers falls into the, " yes it's needed" accessorizing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
if you change the sights Taurus will not do any warranty work on the sights that you install. i called them the other day to find out what kind of sight cut they used and the guy was snotty with me and finally told me that they were a 60* cut but that was all he would tell me. he wouldnt say anything about other measurements.

·
Super Moderator
21,935 Posts
They are a little cocky about the sights I called to to find out what sights would fit and the woman got real cocky about why I would want to change that there the best sights for this bla bla bla

·
Registered
906 Posts
45 Forever said:
They are a little cocky about the sights I called to to find out what sights would fit and the woman got real cocky about why I would want to change that there the best sights for this bla bla bla
bla bla bla :D :D :D

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I just put another 100 rounds through her tonite and all I can say is this gun gets better with age.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Mine shoots better then I do. My son can make her hum.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I don't mind the sights, althought would prefer Novaks...the str8 dots are similar to Sigs' vertical bars sights (I owned 2 of them still have one) so I'm kinda used to them. Still prefer the traditional 3 horizontal dot sights though.

I just got my new grips (Alumagrips) and have to say the gun feels 10 times better now! The stock grips are thinner in the middle which would be a benefit for someone with smaller hands or who's used to very thin grips. I'm used to shoting 92 platform so I like guns with booty :D now I just need new grip screws...

·
Registered
39 Posts
The only issue I had with both of my blued PT1911's was the grip bushings backing out with the grip screws.

After reinstalling them with blue Loctite, they still came out.

Then used red Loctite and they haven't backed out since.

Still, I keep spare bushings and grip screws.

Being a Texican, I've got these grips in mesquite on both of my PT1911's.

http://gripus.com/Texas Star Scroll.htm

They can do custom patterns as well. I bought my brother a set for his Kimber Gold Combat. Still in the scrolled mesquite, I had one side with his badge and the other side done with the 82nd AA insignia.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
greener said:
I replaced the grips with Hogues. Greatly improved the "feel" of the pistol.
Ditto..and IMO they improve the aesthetics as well.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Mike1951:

Those mesquite grips look nice, but they appear unfinished. Does the purchaser do that himself? Nothing wrong with that, by the way. I'd probably use Tung Oil after a darker stain.

·
Registered
39 Posts
AZ605 said:
Mike1951:

Those mesquite grips look nice, but they appear unfinished. Does the purchaser do that himself? Nothing wrong with that, by the way. I'd probably use Tung Oil after a darker stain.
Truthfully, I liked them so well, the idea of finish never occurred to me. I don't think I ever will. Being Texan, I really like the mesquite.

This guy has a 3D scanner and a CNC shaper. That is how he is able to incorporate custom patterns and images.

Here is the link to their home page, if you would like to inquire.

http://gripus.com/

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yesterday I bought a Glock 17. It's a common cop gun, 17 round mag, 1 in the chamber for 18 total. Has a 4.5 inch barrel, 5.5 lb trigger pull. I bought it thinking it might be the way to go for IDPA. Also as a carry gun in certain situations.

I took it out to the boonies and bounced a bunch of plastic water bottles around at 25 yards, no problem. Then I switched to my PT1911. Did the same with it. The differences? PT1911 fit my hand better, target acquisition was easier and faster, and recoil was (or so it seemed) less. Probably because the PT1911 is a heavier gun.

Today I took it to a real range. Groups at 25 yards were tighter with the Taurus, although not by much, but the Taurus was a much easier gun to shoot than the Glock 17. Shooting the Taurus was fun; shooting the Glock less so.

Having said all of this, I will reserve judgment on the Glock until I've run a few hundred rounds through it and installed a lighter trigger. Both pistols ran flawlessly. However, I have absolutely no intention of giving up my PT1911. It looks good, feels good, works good.

And then there's aesthetics. Few guns ever designed have the elegant looks of a 1911. In contrast the Glock 17 is just plain ugly. But it does the job.

What I disliked most was the DA only and the heavy trigger pull. However, I just learned that I can buy a 3.5 lb. connector for a small sum. Should help.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Would have to agree with you about the Taurus and the Glock. I bought the Taurus because of the reviews and the price. Couldn't be happier and even impressed my "if it doesn't cost $1000, it can't be good" father-in-law! I borrowed a friend's Glock and couldn't wait to give it back. My trigger finger started to go numb after shooting only 3 mags! My PT1911 is a keeper and would only get replaced with another. (Maybe the SS with tac rail...mmm, Father's day is soon. How best to leave hints for the wife?)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Got my Southern Ohio Guns monthly flyer yesterday.

They've got the SS for $549, if anyone is interested.

Shipping and transfer would just about equal sales tax that I wouldn't be paying locally.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Wow, that's about what I paid for my PT1911 in blued last year. How do you get the flyer? Need some more "ammo" for around the house!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts