Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm missing the fingers on my left hand. On my Glocks, I've fitted a device that extends a rod off the back of the slide and allows me to rack the pistol with the palm of my left hand. I've not been able to find anything similar for the 1911. Anyone know of such a device for my Taurus PT1911? Thanks.

·
Registered
30,114 Posts
I have not heard of one.

Seeing as you are in the Fort Worth - Dallas area too... Have you talked to any smiths, there are quite a few around the area? I had three I have used over the years, two got old and retired :D. The third is still in business. I have also thought about trying the smith at Shootsmart, I like the place and have taken a class there before. (My daughter has taken a couple as well). Their rates seem reasonable when I looked at them online.

Good luck!

·
Registered
14,474 Posts
I know that I have seen charging handles in the market place for the 1911 pistols.

Here is a rack assist from Pachmayr, while it shows being used with the fingers to grasp it, it also looks as if it could be used with downward pressure from the palm of the hand. Downside is that it would need to be pulled out and used each time the slide needed to be manually racked.
https://www.amazon.com/Pachmayr-Sli...=1520020919&sr=8-1&keywords=1911+slide+assist

I'll keep looking,

There is another called the ZigRack, but it does require some machine work to the side. It is available in left or right applications.

There is also a few that utilize the rear dove tail of the back site to mount a rack assist lever. However you do loose that rear site and would require installing a different site mount and site.

·
Registered
30,114 Posts
I'm having Henry Grimes do a trigger job. Henry used to work for Lou Williamson before he passed away.
Let me know what you think of him, I have a PT 1911 that needs a slight extractor tuning, and I just don't have the time to mess with it and tweak it to get it right. Every few magazines it stovepipes a round. I am 99% sure it is an extractor issue because it only happened when i replaced the old, broken, extractor. He's not far from me, I am in Grapevine.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Here is a rack assist from Pachmayr, ... There is another called the ZigRack, but it does require some machine work to the side.
I have used a Handi-racker but in the same way as the Pachmayr, you must carry the device with you. On my Glocks, the device is attached to the slide. So with the ZigRack, you'd need to have an extra dovetail cut made in the slide. That would likely work on the Taurus PT1911. My Colt Gold Cup has an Eliason rear sight which may preclude cutting a new dovetail. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
14,474 Posts
You could try giving Scott Platt a call. He and his wife have a nice little gun shop over in Keller. Scott does excellent work, 1911 are but one of his specialities. Whatever you needs or wants, from a simple tune up to a custom start to finish build.

I have yet to hear anything negative from anyone that I have referred to Scott.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.