Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my mailorder OC holster for my new 1911...what a piece of crap! Looking for suggestions for a good clip on belt holster. Thanks

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Check the stickey at the top of the concealed carry forum. You should be able to find something you like from one of the makers on the list. Always get a good holster and belt. You'll never regret it.

Reactions: 45 Forever

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!!

·
Registered
37,328 Posts
Yep, like Laker says if you are going to carry a 1911 on your belt you need plenty of quality support.
now of course 1911's come in a variety of sizes and weights.
honestly when carring a 1911 in a OWB holster I never really even consider cionceal, now smaller Commander/defender size 1911's I carry IWB, but you need a good quality holster if you carry a 1911, not just weight and support but safety as well.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Coinceal? Is that how you save your change?

·
Registered
155 Posts
I personally like the Blackhawk Serpa for OC. The problem with a clip on holster is that it doesn't have a very wide area to disperse the weight of a 1911. The Serpa is a paddle holster, and taking it on and off is easy.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
walmart black hawk for 1911 $19.95 has add on clip for belt or belt loops is mine

·
10,379 Posts
I ended up with the Serpa for OWB and ordered a Crossbreed for "coincealed".
Yup, that's exactly the setup I have. I like the Serpa, there's a lot of people out there who are certain you're gonna shoot yourself with one, but, if you actually operate the thing properly it'll index your finger on the slide perfect for presentation and easy shooting and it's dang near indestructible. I use the paddle, it's a little cumbersome but once you get used to the hude paddle on it it's actually quite comfortable and with the hook on it you know it's not gonna just fall off your belt. Which reminds me, if you don't already have a good, quality, belt I can't recommend the Hank's Amish belt highly enough. Think I paid $30 for mine and it hasn't stretched in the 2+ years I've had it now, I think DBeard is the one who turned me on to them, it's all I'll buy anymore.

The Crossbreed takes a little getting used to, IMO they don't leave enough leather around the top of the pistol to prevent the beavertail from taking the occasional bite from your hide when you shift around. I've gotten around this by wearing a tshirt tucked in behind the holster and then having an overshirt on.

I've been looking at a Galco leather high ride OWB as well for the times I need/want to conceal (not often), price isn't bad and there's a lot of good reviews on 'em.

Reactions: jim1911 and Tdub

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Old El Paso Saddlery is the place for all leather holsters in the military (Open Carry) style. From the Tanker style to the Patton style to the old flap holster, they have it all.

El Paso Saddlery - Military

Reactions: Wolf1477

·
10,379 Posts
Old El Paso Saddlery is the place for all leather holsters in the military (Open Carry) style. From the Tanker style to the Patton style to the old flap holster, they have it all.

El Paso Saddlery - Military
Nice, but, their prices are kind of an ouch for my wallet. But, it does look like you get what you pay for, so I'm not criticizing their prices by any stretch, just bemoaning the fact that I can't afford one;)

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
You may be able to get a cheap Tanker style holster at one of the military surplus stores. But the ones OEPS makes are much better than the originals.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Good choice on the Serpa. High Noon makes great leather holsters. I also like Bianchi.

·
Registered
155 Posts
That's a good setup right there!

Yup, that's exactly the setup I have. I like the Serpa, there's a lot of people out there who are certain you're gonna shoot yourself with one, but, if you actually operate the thing properly it'll index your finger on the slide perfect for presentation and easy shooting and it's dang near indestructible. I use the paddle, it's a little cumbersome but once you get used to the hude paddle on it it's actually quite comfortable and with the hook on it you know it's not gonna just fall off your belt. Which reminds me, if you don't already have a good, quality, belt I can't recommend the Hank's Amish belt highly enough. Think I paid $30 for mine and it hasn't stretched in the 2+ years I've had it now, I think DBeard is the one who turned me on to them, it's all I'll buy anymore.

The Crossbreed takes a little getting used to, IMO they don't leave enough leather around the top of the pistol to prevent the beavertail from taking the occasional bite from your hide when you shift around. I've gotten around this by wearing a tshirt tucked in behind the holster and then having an overshirt on.

I've been looking at a Galco leather high ride OWB as well for the times I need/want to conceal (not often), price isn't bad and there's a lot of good reviews on 'em.
Yes please make sure when you train with the Serpa, do not curl and point your finger in towards the trigger guard when activating the release lever. Index your finger as you normally would when gripping a pistol, and the pistol will come right out of the holster.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts