Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the range today. Had a box of Blazer 230 RN factory and reloads.

I loaded a mag with 5 Blazer rounds and they fired 1>5 as they should.

75% of the reloads needed multiple firing pin strikes to discharge. I used a slight taper crimp. I used CCI LP primers.

I don't know if the crimp allowed the case to slip a little too far forward into the chamber placed it further away from the firing pin, OR if the CCI primer is hard.

Any ideas?? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
If the brass cases are slipping past the headspace ledge in the chamber, like you suspect, that could turn into a dangerous situation by driving up the chamber pressure when firing. And, if happening that way, that would explain your misfires. That or your firing pin channel is gummed up & not allowing the firing pin to fully protrude past the breech face.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,570 Posts
Not seating your primer completely will cause the firing pin to seat the primer. Instead of causing it to ignite the powder.
Just another possibility.
🤔

·
Administrator
35,759 Posts
You should be able to determine what you're looking for by ejecting the unfired round and examining the primer strike. Did it dimple the primer enough to fire it? I know it's unlikely, but you could have some contaminated primers.

·
Registered
37,209 Posts
Not seating your primer completely will cause the firing pin to seat the primer. Instead of causing it to ignite the powder.
Just another possibility.
🤔

and the WINNER is--at least i would bet on that being the problem!
CCI is about the hardest primer on the market, at least from American made primers---BUT--a 1911 *(especially if stock) should easily ignite a CCI or any other primer.
to me as it only happens on the reloads and not a problem with the factory that tells what the problem is for me, at least thats where i would start looking.
how do you seat primer ??--like on the press? on a hand primering system? other other means?
properly seating a primer is all about "FEEL"

·
9,244 Posts
and the WINNER is--at least i would bet on that being the problem!
CCI is about the hardest primer on the market, at least from American made primers---BUT--a 1911 *(especially if stock) should easily ignite a CCI or any other primer.
to me as it only happens on the reloads and not a problem with the factory that tells what the problem is for me, at least thats where i would start looking.
how do you seat primer ??--like on the press? on a hand primering system? other other means?
properly seating a primer is all about "FEEL"
What he said!!

·
9,244 Posts
☝ I check every handload after running through the press, by setting it on a flat surface,,if it rocks, back to the press it goes. I agree we need to see some of his reloads. Cocked or not fully seated primers will cause the ops issue every time. Also agree the hammer of a 1911 is more than strong enough to set off CCI primers, but unlike a revolver, you won't notice the problem until the firing pin hits the primer. In a revolver the cylinder likely will jam.

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
CCI's are the hardest American made primers. If a gun will set off CCI's reliably, then it will work with anything.

The thing is, Blazers are made by CCI, too, and one would think it likely that they would use their own components for their factory ammo.

I'm thinking the fellas above are right and the issue with the reloads is more likely technique than component. A less than fully seated primer can cause multiple strikes (one or more to seat it and then the last one sets it off).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have several oics. The lighting might reveal the problem but I believe the high primer is the culprit. I used the old Lee priming tool (round tray).

I should get a carteidge gauge. Which one > Wilson maximum cartridge gauge or Wilson case length gauge?

Thanks for the inpit and help you fellows offered.

·
Registered
37,209 Posts
Just as a note!
I use and have for decades the lee hand priming tools--and-- I have worn 2 of them out, the rod that pushes the primer into the cavity actually got worn enough that they would not seat a primer fully.
now this is tens of thousands of reloads but it did happen--TWICE!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts