Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any way a magazine can hurt the firing pin? I just had to have my pin and spring replaced, just so happens I got a new mag the same day as I started getting light strikes. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
Welcome to the forum.I am sure someone will be along to answer your question.

I don't see how it could but those smarter than me will correct me if I am wrong.

·
Administrator
35,632 Posts
I don't see how a magazine could hurt the firing pin....it's retracted until the moment of firing the gun, pops the primer, and is retracted again very likely before the spent casing is ejected. I'm just not seeing how that could happen.....do you have a reason to think that's what is going on?

Welcome to the forum from Dallas Texas ! :wave:

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Welcome, and no. The magazine can be the problem for other things, but not damage to the firing pin. Now what scenario you had could be firing pin damage from a weak rebounding spring.

If a pin still protrudes, due to a weak spring, the next cartridge feeding up can clip it and deform the tip over time. It can also damage the firing pin channel as well.

The only part of this is magazine related is if the magazine is feeding as it should. It will result in a direct hit every time.

Maloy

·
Registered
6,831 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
I can't see how that would be possible. I'd say "no way" but it has recently come to my attention that I might not actually know everything.

·
23,101 Posts
Yep, your suspicion is correct. I can't see how a magazine could cause firing pin damage.

welcome from New Mexico.JPG

1 - 9 of 9 Posts