Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an opportunity to buy a NIB GSG (German Sports Gun) made by ATI 1911 in .22LR for $200. The GSG Model GERG2210M1911 is an exact copy of a GI .45ACP 1911 5" just chambered in .22LR. They are also the same weight within a few ounces. Also, GSG also makes this exact gun as the SIG 1911-22. They just have different slide stampings. I ran this by a buddy at work and he poo-poo'ed it as it's "not a real 1911" as real 1911's should be .45 cal. I can accept that as I would still want a .45ACP 1911 even if I have one in .22LR. But considering the price of .22LR versus .45ACP ammo I can shoot a boatload more for a lot less with a .22 1911 versus the .45.

I would like to solicit opinions on owning a 1911 in .22 versus one in .45. Perhaps some of you own one? Perhaps some of you own both? Also, take into consideration the price of ammo and the low initial purchase price. Would you decide to pull the trigger (heh-heh... see how I did that?) on a new 1911 in .22LR for $200.00? Or should just wait and eventually get one in .45 (which I probably would do anyway.)

Thanks for any feedback!

EDIT: The GSG is not made my ATI. ATI is the importer and distributor. GSG is the actual manufacturer.

Reactions: Sekol

·
Registered
174 Posts
I bought a used Chiappa 1911-22 a couple years ago. It is a blast to shoot and cheap. I like using this pistol to teach new shooters as the recoil is almost nothing.I would guess that your buddy that said this "poo-poo'ed it as it's "not a real 1911" also says a Sportster is not a real Harley. Buy the 22, save a lot of money shooting, have fun.

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
First of all,Sig owns GSG. The Sig is more expensive but by producing both the Sig and the GSG Sig covers two price points of the same market.

$200 is a great price for a new GSG. If I found three of them at that price on the same day I would buy all three. The reason is because they are very nice guns in the stock configuration and with aftermarket support you can build a very nice custom steel plate gun in 22 caliber. I have a number of .22 1911 pistols including a Kimber custom shop .22 as well as a GSG custom plate gun.

The GSG will give you hours of enjoyable economical shooting. It will help you learn the controls on a 1911 regardless of caliber that you end up with. It is a very good gun for new shooters as well as those allergic to recoil.

Don't overthink your situation. If you want enjoyable shooting at an affordable price then don't pass up the GSG. If you would like I will dig out picture of one of my GSG plate guns and you will get an idea of what can be done. On the other hand if you take your gun out of the box and never add anything to it, just clean it and load it oh, you will get years of enjoyment out of it

Don

·
Premium Member
5,453 Posts
Sounds like a buy to me. It would be fun and cheaper to shoot.

Ironic the Germans make a replica U.S.Govt 1911. I wonder if the Japanese make replicas of Big Boy.

Just looked up the GSG online, and it looks like a nice gun. It's too bad these only have a 10-round magazine. I'd think you could put near 20 22LR rounds in a full size 1911. That would be twice the fun!

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
As I said before, .22 caliber 1911's are a lot of fun. The fact is .22 versions of many military weapons, handguns as well as long guns, are becoming more and more popular.

Here are a few of my .22LR 1911's.....

The first started life as a stock GSG 1911. I turned into a very nice .22 steel plate gun. I've done a lot to it including a JP reflex sight, a custom slide, custom trigger, guide rod/recoil spring, extended mag well, extended capacity weighted magazines, and custom grips.

The second picture is a Rock Island XT-22. It is a .22 1911 and you can buy a .45 conversion slide/barrel from Rock Island to make one gun into two.

The third is a Kimber Custom Shop 1911 .22LR. Not much to say about this one except it was perfect out of the box and nothing has changed except the grips. I love 1911 custom grips!

Don

Attachments

·
Registered
6,906 Posts
I saw a very similar deal from sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore a couple of weeks ago, and was super tempted to buy it, same gun but $220 new with free shipping
https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsupers...1118-1&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=121118-1

I have a gsg firefly, it is a fantastic gun, and even better in the $200 range, had they released the 1911 or had i known about it when i got the firefly i would have gone with the 1911 instead, i just like em, if my firefly is anything to go by, they produce some fantastic guns. I was, and still am, super tempted to get the 1911 from them, but i have plenty of 22 semi autos at this point, i dont need a 4th.

I also have been interested in one of those conversion kits for a 45 cal 1911, but same issue, i dont need another semi 22 at this point, would rather spend the month on ammo for the ones i have.

If you want it, go for it, great price, and based on other products they have, it should be a great gun.

·
Registered
15,232 Posts
My Son has the GSG 1911-22. It's not a 100% exact match for a centerfire 1911 but the feel and controls are exact matches. They are very nice firearms that usually go in the 250-400 range depending. We had an odd wear pattern on the barrel/barrel bushing and I contacted ATI. It took 7 days from when I mailed it to them until it was on my porch. They replaced the barrel and barrel bushing and threw in a bunch of swag for the inconvenience. They do not do well with subsonic or standard velocity ammo. They are spec'ed to run with HV ammo and that's just to cycle the slide. My son's will eat everything except Thunderbolts. Accuracy is right up there and fit is exceptional. The finish has a lot to be desired as the slide feels powder coated. All in all they're a fun gun and 200 bucks is a great price. They do have a magazine disconnector style safety as well. The Only difference I could see between the GSG and the Sig versions were the grips. Since we dropped a set of Altamont 1911 grips on my son's, that's never really been an issue.
Disassembly for a field strip is almost identical to a standard 1911 with the addition of a barrel retaining screw on the right side. Cleanup is very straightforward and minimal lubrication is needed. They do have a plastic guide rod but you can (and in my eyes should) get the aftermarket steel guide rod. We have in the neighborhood of 3500 rounds down the pipe since the barrel and bushing replacement and it's been flawless.

Reactions: Sekol

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
I saw a very similar deal from sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore a couple of weeks ago, and was super tempted to buy it, same gun but $220 new with free shipping
https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsupers...y druthers I'd ruther have the aluminum. Don

·
Registered
15,232 Posts
https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsupers...1118-1&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=121118-1

I have a gsg firefly, it is a fantastic gun, and even better in the $200 range, had they released the 1911 or had i known about it when i got the firefly i would have gone with the 1911 instead, i just like em, if my firefly is anything to go by, they produce some fantastic guns. I was, and still am, super tempted to get the 1911 from them, but i have plenty of 22 semi autos at this point, i dont need a 4th.

I also have been interested in one of those conversion kits for a 45 cal 1911, but same issue, i dont need another semi 22 at this point, would rather spend the month on ammo for the ones i have.

If you want it, go for it, great price, and based on other products they have, it should be a great gun.
If the conversion will be fitted to a Taurus PT1911 frame, you will run into problems from what I've been reading. Something about the hammer being a bit too wide to allow it to function properly.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
I have owned a GSG 1911/22 for about 6 years. Internally it is not exactly the same as a center fire version but who cares! On the outside the feel and controls are the same. It is a ton of fun to shoot.

Out of the box the gun was very reliable. I put some aftermarket accessories in it, just cuz, and it became a little bit ammo sensitive. These folks make some cool parts for it.
https://www.cwaccessories.com/

Buy it, especially at that price.

·
Registered
6,813 Posts
Sounds like a buy to me. It would be fun and cheaper to shoot.

Ironic the Germans make a replica U.S.Govt 1911. I wonder if the Japanese make replicas of Big Boy.

Just looked up the GSG online, and it looks like a nice gun. It's too bad these only have a 10-round magazine. I'd think you could put near 20 22LR rounds in a full size 1911. That would be twice the fun!
The Japanese make or made Winchester lever actions. The Mirkou made Winchester '92 and Browning B-92 are considered the best examples of the design.

Reactions: Sekol and chefduane

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Japanese make or made Winchester lever actions. The Mirkou made Winchester '92 and Browning B-92 are considered the best examples of the design.
Well you all convinced me (not that I needed that much) - I think I am going to buy it. Its a present to myself for Christmas! I just can't pass it up. Thanks to everyone for the feedback!

PS: I have a Miroku made Charles Evans O/U full/modified that is a really nice specimen. When I am out killin' some clays with my friends they all are envious. And it was a steal when I got it back in 1993.

Reactions: Sekol and darbo

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Heh!! Don't even have the gun yet and getting rec's for places to buy accessories!! I love me some TA.net!

OK, so I'll need the CW Accessories PES (Performance Enhancing System), a CWA full length stainless guide rod, CWA aluminum base plates, extra mags from JoeBob's along with some +4 hi-cap followers, a spare mag pouch, and of course... some new faux ivory grips ala' Patton.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Heh!! Don't even have the gun yet and getting rec's for places to buy accessories!! I love me some TA.net!

OK, so I'll need the CW Accessories PES (Performance Enhancing System), a CWA full length stainless guide rod, CWA aluminum base plates, extra mags from JoeBob's along with some +4 hi-cap followers, a spare mag pouch, and of course... some new faux ivory grips ala' Patton.
Well on your way!

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts

Yep, so much for an inexpensive plinker huh?

Don

Reactions: chefduane

·
23,074 Posts
Of course it's not a real 1911 - it's blowback operated! But so what? It's a really good gun that gives you great 1911 ergonomics for a fraction of the gun price and ammo price. Go for it!

Reactions: Sekol and chefduane

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
On the newer GSG models that come in the two tone finish there is no paint to flake off the slide. Instead of using the zinc alloy slides on the two tone guns the slides are actually machine out of aluminum. The aluminum is high polished on the flats to produce the two tone color and the top of the slide is anodized black to cut down on reflection. The regular GSG models that come in blue or black still use the alloy slide the same as the frame and they are painted.

If you should need any of the standard stock parts for a GSG I have a lot of parts left over from builds I did for people who wanted a pretty plate gun. Everything from small parts to slides, barrels, and trigger groups..

Don

Reactions: chefduane
1 - 20 of 28 Posts