Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The screw on my PT1911 grip is giving me a little trouble. It won't come out but will not go back in. I just noticed that the screw was sticking out and it went beck in when I put my finger on it. It will not screw back in at all. Just seems loose.

Any suggestions on what to do?

·
Registered
276 Posts
It sounds like the screw has stripped or the screw bushing has stripped. You can easily check this by looking at the screw itself. If the threads look sound, then take one of the other screws out of your grips and try screwing it in. If that one is loose, too, then the grip screw bushing is stripped out and will have to be replaced. In which case you can send the pistol to Taurus for repair, or you can find a local gunsmith to do the repair. If a local gunsmith can do the work for you at around $50, then that will be the way to go, since shipping costs to Taurus is likely going to be more than that unless you live close to Miami.

If the other grip screw goes in nice and tight, as it should, then you can easily order new grip screws from Brownells and replace them all, which I recommed, since the factory grip screws from Taurus aren't the best.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Listen... spend $12 to buy a set of grips and bushing from anyplace on the Internet. If the bushing is stripped out... put a lock grip wrench on it and back the screw out... worse case senario cut the screw from the bushing... and replace both of them!

Don't mess with Taurus when this problem can be cured... MidwayUSA or Brownells can have you back in place in 2-4 days.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That was about what I was suspecting. Just need the time to do it. Law school is overly time consuming.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Trajan82 said:
The screw on my PT1911 grip is giving me a little trouble. It won't come out but will not go back in. I just noticed that the screw was sticking out and it went beck in when I put my finger on it. It will not screw back in at all. Just seems loose.

Any suggestions on what to do?
While you're ordering the grip screws and bushing you may as well get some nicer grips and lose the cheap Taurus grips.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts