Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Your thoughts on the finish on the PT 1911. The finish on mine seems pretty thin and it seems to wear off just in the safe. Its a great gun and I love it, its my only concern for the gun right now.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
I assume you are talking about the Blue finish? Blue finishes are always on the thin side and will wear rather easy. I use car wax on shiny blue guns and it helps. With a non-shiny finish, try using a dry film lubricant. Most of the porous finishes are designed to absorb lubricant to hold rust at bay. But if it really bothers you that much, Duracoat Clear will cover it, keep the original look and not wear, at least wear very little over time.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes the finish is blue and I thought about refinishing it at some point and the duracoat may be a possibility or even a durable military finish like on an AR. I can have it refinished here locally hopefully at a reasonable cost. I just don't have the talent to tackle refinishing the gun myself anyway I value your feedback and thanks for responding.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I had mine shipped directly to my gunsmith so it can get a coat of Moly-Resin semi gloss black before I even take it out of the box.
I've heard that the blue wears quickly on the PT1911s. A coworker has an all steel blue model and that was his only complaint about it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Proffett,

Is the Moly-Resin sprayed on? Is it baked after spraying? Is the cost reasonable? Sorry for all the questions I'm just curious.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My first PT1911 .45 is the first year of production. They have a very poor blue job and worlds ugliest grips. Changed grips years ago and am liveing with the poor blue job for now. My second PT 1911 was ordered from a distrubitor on closeout. Did not read all the details (my fault) but I wanted a .38 Super. What I got was a 1911 AR with a beautiful blue job, BUT lot of gold, hammer, safetys, trigger etc. Best news it is a great shooting pistol, very accurate and I really like it. Little gaudy, but am interested how the blue (black) finish will last.

·
Registered
36,026 Posts
The same that i have found here in gunshops!
the 38 Supers have a much smoother and glossy blue job than the 45 calibers do.
Kind of strange to me?? why???
I halfway want a 38 Super but as mentioned by you all i find around here are the gold versions and i am not into Bling.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine was a first year production as well I just had to have one. But I will live with the finish for now but one of the these days I will refinish the gun. I kinda like the grips they feel secure in my hand as well. Its keep in good company with a PT92AFS which happens to be my favorite. Guys thanks for all your input.

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
I must be strange, i like my blue finishes (on any firearm) when they DO get worn! :)

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
TexasAviator said:
I must be strange, i like my blue finishes (on any firearm) when they DO get worn! :)

Right on,

To me when the blue starts getting worn on the edges the guns starts looking better and yes I am strange!

·
Registered
370 Posts
stallard said:
Right on,

To me when the blue starts getting worn on the edges the guns starts looking better and yes I am strange!
I agree with that when it comes to classics like an old SA revolver or even a nice mil-spec 1911. I had an old Blackhawk 357 that was getting worn in like that... I put some nice, oiled, smooth walnut grips on it and it looked great. Lots of vintage vibe.
I like my working guns to be freshly finished, though. Just my personal preference.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Wow, and I thought my wife was the weird one when she told me about the popularity of the distressed look on furniture.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
proffett said:
I agree with that when it comes to classics like an old SA revolver or even a nice mil-spec 1911. I had an old Blackhawk 357 that was getting worn in like that... I put some nice, oiled, smooth walnut grips on it and it looked great. Lots of vintage vibe.
I like my working guns to be freshly finished, though. Just my personal preference.
That might be part of it for me. No true working gun is going to stay freshly finished. So, instead of fretting over every little scratch I just chalk it up to character.

For me, only a safe queen would stay mint and I do not care for guns I can't shoot!

·
Registered
36,026 Posts
stallard said:
That might be part of it for me. No true working gun is going to stay freshly finished. So, instead of fretting over every little scratch I just chalk it up to character.
For me, only a safe queen would stay mint and I do not care for guns I can't shoot!
Yep, thats me!
I try to take care of my weapons but I use them and expect that wear is a part of that.
I do appreciate the nicely polished blue of say a Colt Python or Diamondback, and the Magnum Research 1911 has an outstanding blue on it as well.

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
Wow, its great to hear I am not that abnormal.. now all I gotta do is convince my wife!

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
popplecop said:
What I got was a 1911 AR with a beautiful blue job, BUT lot of gold, hammer, safetys, trigger etc. Best news it is a great shooting pistol, very accurate and I really like it. Little gaudy, but...
I'm drooling just thinking about that blue gun with all the gold trimmings... :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
A pimp gun with a lot of wear? Now that's maybe a look I could get into. You could make up stories about your bad boy past and keep us all entertained.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Gator wants his Gat! :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts