Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my pt 1911 for about 3 months now and am nearing the thousandth shot mark. Here in about the last 75 or so i have been gettin some failure to extracts where the casing is still in the chamber and the next round's nose is up against the empty one.
This is happening with wwb fmj, blazer brass fmj, umc 230jhp, and some of my roll your owns. I happens when my pistol is both clean and dirty, and seems to happen very randomly.

I was wondering if someone could give me some tips for fixing my extractor or recommend a good aftermarket replacement.
thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
That's probably the worst malfunction you can get. I had that problem with Steyr M9 when shooting reloads (factory ammo worked fine, and the same reloads worked fine in my other 9mm...weird)

Anyways, I wasn't able to figure it out...had enough. But I had that problem from the start; if your gun worked fine at first I'd suggest checking the extractor; it might be chipped or just dirty. Btw what mags have you tried? Does it happen with just one all ofthem?

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This afternoon i took the slide apart and cleaned the extractor and firing pin/firing pin channel.  After lubing it back up and reassembling, I ran a few dummy rounds thru it.  I noticed when the rounds were coming out of the chamber, only the very tip of the extractor was in contact with the case head.  So I took it all back apart and slightly bent the extractor towards the inside of the gun.  After putting it back together, I tried the dummy rounds again and there was a whole lot more contact with the case heads.  I took the gun up to my homemade range and shot 32 rounds with no malfunctions. 

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Going to post a link since I don't have permission to repost. Run the following test, and carefully follow the directions for adjusting if needed. Wouldn't be a bad idea to call Taurus and get another extractor put in the mail.

http://www.m1911.org/technic2.htm

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Not a bad move, I ordered an extra for about $12 from Taurus. 1911's have a bad habit of loosing tension on the extractor. Most modern guns have an extractor with a tensioning spring like Brownings BHP. Most 1911 forums have posting on tensioning the extractor. I think Wilson sells a "pre-tensioned" extractor at about twice the price. Good Luck!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Please read the following before replacing the extractor.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/General/DisplayPDF.aspx?f=bt002002.pdf

http://www.m1911.org/technic2.htm

The Weigand tension gauge set and RCBS trigger pull gauge are what I've used in the past to adjust my 1911 extractors. If you're wondering how they work, the gauge essentially slips under the extractor claw just like the rim of a brass cartridge. The different diameter ends are for different calibers.

Most of the name brand or off brand extractors are not essentially drop in parts. You may get lucky though and the hook and tension may be good to go out of the box. If not, the two links above should give all the info required to perform the surgery.

Another thing to be aware of is extractor "clocking". Clocking of the extractor means that the extractor is rotating in the extractor channel a few degrees clockwise or counterclockwise. Some cases are extracted properly and some not as the hook meets the rim. This is due to the firing pin stop not being fitted to the extractor base tightly. This is also something you may run into with the new extractor so it might be prudent to purchase one of these as well.

Lastly, while the tension of 1911 extractors does change during the course of time, the problem can be exacerbated by releasing the slide on an already chambered round or snap cap. The extractor is designed to have the rounds slip underneath the hook as the round is chambered, not jump the rim. Not saying you did this, but I know many who do.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I cleaned the gun and preformed the test that dcphoto and justice4all provided links to.  With just the adjustment i had made earlier, when a loaded round was placed under the extractor it would stay there only if the slide was not moved.  Three tries later (i was afraid the whole time that i might over do it so i would retry the test every time i thought i bent the metal any at all) the round would stay when the slide was shaken lightly.  I guess this is one of those things that is best learned with some guidance/advice of more experienced people.
Thanks for the help.  I really appreciate it.

P.S. I will more than likely be asking more questions when i get the new extractor. I like to know how my guns work and like to try and learn how to remedy their ailments.
thanks again, aaron

1 - 11 of 11 Posts