Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Giving a serious look at the 1911 market and adding one to my range bag. Looking for thoughts and opinions open for discusion on performance, function, accuracy and relability...

Is buying a so called "Top of the Line" Custom type 1911 (Ed Brown, wilson combat, Les baer, etc) worth the alot extra money for performance, function, and accuracy or are you paying for the craftmanship and a badging.

~OR~

Would it be better/cheaper to buy an everyday entry level 1911 (Taurus, Rock Island, S&W, etc) and just adding on aftermarket and performance parts as you go along?

·
Registered
863 Posts
I purchased the Ruger SR1911 last year and I lover it. I am no where near an expert of 1911's but this one seems very well built. It is more accurate than I will ever be and has functioned flawlessly in the time I have had.

The taurus seems to be a well made pistol as well. I was actually planning on purchasing the duo-tone but stumbled across a great deal on the Ruger. Just my uneducated $.02.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I have several 1911's, A Taurus 1911AL, 2- Springies, a Colt Series 80 and a Kimber Super Carry Ultra. The Taurus is still by far more accurate than the Springfields and the Colt at 15 yards. The Kimber does surpass the Taurus, but not by much. This is from a one-eyed jack too. I'd say wet your toes with a Taurus first. But be fore-warned, a whole new world will magically open up for you too.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
I would say depends on your needs for it. If you're into serious competitive shooting you might want the custom job, and have the money I might add. Otherwise get a starter and have fun upgrading. My PT1911 is still stock and is a great gun. What a lot of people have said before it can out shoot me.

Reactions: PCS01

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
I picked up a used early model Sig 1911 last year and love it. Unless you have lots of disposable income, I wouldn't by a top tier brand as your fist one. Who knows, you might not like it that much. There are plenty of great options for under $1000.

This one is older than 2003 since Sig didn't have the serial number in their data base.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I have a PT1911 and an STI Spartan III, both purchased in the last year. Before buying the Taurus, I had never even shot a 1911. It is safe to say that I fell in love very quickly with the platform. :D Every other semi-auto I've shot before and since, now seems to pale in comparison. That being said, I've never had the opportunity to shoot a "high end" 1911. However, I couldn't be happier with mine. My main concerns were reliability and accuracy (in my hands). Sure, I wanted them to look good too (which I think they both do), but I honestly think all 1911s look pretty darn good. There's just something about them.

If you decide to get an entry level 1911, just be sure to do your homework ahead of time so you have a pretty good idea of what you can expect to get with a particular model -- both good and bad aspects. The good news is that it seems like most any 1911 can be whipped into shape in the hands of a competent 1911 smith. That did give me quite a bit of reassurance when I decided to take the plunge.

BE WARNED: Once you buy your first, good luck avoiding the addiction that so many of us 1911 owners are plagued with. ;)

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
My Grandfather always told me. "Buy the best toys and tools you can afford, and you'll never be sorry." His theory has never let me down!

·
Registered
272 Posts
I currently own seven 1911's for a reason. The 1911 platform is just......well.....the s&^t. Very nice feel, outstanding triggers and the looks....oh god, dont get me started on how sexy they are.
1911's are like any other gun out there. You get what you pay for. In general they will all have as good as accuracy as the shooter can provide and function well but if you hold a Kimber or Wilson combat and then a Rock Island or some of the other less expensive ones you will know where the extra money went.
Your high end 1911's will be your Ed Browns, Wilson's, Les Baer's. Your mid price ones will be your Colts, Kimbers, Springfield, Sig. And your lesser expensive will be RIA's, Taurus, ATI and Grisan's. Many more Makers fit into those catagories.
Personally I would go with Springfield, Sig or Kimber. JMO though.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Beware of this very slippery slope you are about to start down. I have the Remington R1 a earlier model of the Colt 1911 along the R.I. 1911. My other .45 is a Milpro PT 145. Once you start down this slope it's hard to turn back..Enjoy the trip..:)

·
Registered
37,073 Posts
a lot depends on if you want to be a name dropper? or are you a top notch competitor, or just wanting a good 1911 to range shoot with.
The top notch 1911 makers, baer, brown , dan wesson, wilson, christenson, get big money for a reason, some yes its name but they are basically a totally hand built 1911, so if investment then thats the way to go, shoot them for 5 years and likely get your money back or make a bit.
then theres the middle of the crowd as mentioned by others, Kimber, Springfield,Colt, para.
then the entry level stuff like ATI, Armscor, Citadel, Taurus, Rock island etc.
within these groups there are also better grades with more workmanship and cheaper grades with less workmanship.
Springfield for example makes a 2-3 models that are basically hand assembled , hand fitted weapons , then they make the standard assembly line models, same with Armscor and several others.
from the few 1911's that i got in my hands and on a good day with each weapon my most accurate in no certain order is Colt Government Combat Elite, Sringfield Range officer, Taurus 38 super, Taurus 1911 45 acp with hienie straight eight sights, Para G I Expert, in the commander size its the Para LTC .
but on any given day i can shoot any of my 10-or 11 1911;s better than the last one that I took to the range.
A lot has to do with how much money that you want to drop on a 1911, the Ruger, the Magnum Research, ar 2 more that recieve not a lot of attention and are very good quality 1911;s.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I bought a Llama Max-I CF, Commander size ($200) to see if I'd like shooting 45s. I do.
I bought a Taurus PT1911 AL to see the difference a full size made. That's what I used to qualify for CCP. Only the grips got changed.
I bought a Kimber Ultra CDP II after always wondering if they were really worth the extra money. Just holding it in my hand proved it was.
I enjoy them all. I would trust my life to any one of the three, but the Kimber just carries so well.

·
Registered
96 Posts
For years I was (and still am) a 9mm guy. I happened to be in a gun shop last month when a customer and the clerk were talking about 1911s. I stood by and listened. The customer pulls out his snob 1911 and boasts of its custom trigger pull. The clerk pulls out an off the shelf PT1911 to compare trigger pull. Both want to claim the title. Since I was a 'neutral' party, I was given both guns to dry fire. The Taurus had it hands down. Stock. Maybe I was being set up, but that Taurus PT1911 is now in my inventory. Had I been in te market for one, I should have tried a few at a range, but damn, that felt good!

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
"I bought a Llama Max-I CF, Commander"---Willboat
Nice-azz handgun !!!!!

It all depends on your wallet....and your head[mentality]
A 1911 made in the Philippines will not only stand up to many
of the finest crafted 1911's made by ANYONE.....but will
outshoot many and cost you WAY less.
If a true 1911 is not what you really want........
a Taurus Model 92 is a hell of a choice.

1911's made in the Philippines......
and maybe you have no desire for this info....but...
here, take a gander....

and you know, you can expand on this info, easily.

I put my Rock Islands up against my Kimber's......
on a weekly basis.....and the Kimber's always lose.
Wanna by a few Kimber's ?
[I am kidding, I keep -don't sell......but as nice as my
Kimber's are, they would be of the ones gone first]

This is my favorite ....so far.
Awesome 3.5" Compact Officer .45acp
Dead on accuracy, smooth, flawless......for several years !

And always remember old fart Carl Wallace......
a very personal friend of mine, that makes some
of the absolute finest grips for 1911's......
http://cwgrips.com/
second to none !

P.S. and nope, no ammo shortage here.....
I have always been a good Boy Scout.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts