Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a 1911 commander for under $600. Any suggestions or recommendations based on ownership? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
The pictured RIA is an OFFICER sized 1911. I carry one. Most all parts are mil-spec except there is no barrel bushing. The pistol is 7+1 and is reliable and accurate. Downside is perhaps the mil-spec sights which are not as good as Novak or Heinie type. The front sight is staked but the rear sight is in a dovetail that is not the same as most any of the common cuts so fitting rear sights is a chore. I put Nightsighters dots on my rear sight and painted the front glow-orange to aid in picking up a target quickly.

RIA.jpg

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses guys. It would be nice if Taurus would get on the ball and start producing some of these. I would be a buyer for sure.

·
Registered
36,588 Posts
I am looking for a 1911 commander for under $600. Any suggestions or recommendations based on ownership? Thanks for your help.
HMM?? so are you looking for a 1911 commander(Colt) or a 1911 Commander size gun?
even pretty beat up used colt commander go in the 600 buck range around here, better quality goes in the 7-750 area for the colt Commander.
commander size - RIA, Para USA,ATI are more reasonabally priced.

·
Registered
32,083 Posts
The American Classic, made by Metro Arms in the Philipines is easily every bit the firearm the RIA is. They just haven't imported as many to the USA until recently. They are imported by Eagle Imports, the same company that imports Bersa and Firestorm and they carry the same lifetime warranty, have many repair service stations over the USA and all Gander Mountain Gunsmiths are also certified warranty centers. Parts are very easy to order online should you need them. I have had the full size 1911 deluxe for 4 years and have been completely satisfied. You can get the basic GI model, the Deluxe (I recommend) and the deluxe in hard chrome.

Commander Model this is the link

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looking for a commander size either the 4" or 4.25" barrel. Something to go with my 1911al. I have thought about the S&W sc frame but they are pricey. I bought one for my ex years ago and it was a very good gun.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
The American Classic, made by Metro Arms in the Philipines is easily every bit the firearm the RIA is. They just haven't imported as many to the USA until recently. They are imported by Eagle Imports, the same company that imports Bersa and Firestorm and they carry the same lifetime warranty, have many repair service stations over the USA and all Gander Mountain Gunsmiths are also certified warranty centers. Parts are very easy to order online should you need them. I have had the full size 1911 deluxe for 4 years and have been completely satisfied. You can get the basic GI model, the Deluxe (I recommend) and the deluxe in hard chrome.

Commander Model this is the link
I would suggest the Metro also. I was looking for the Officer-size, and through research settled on the Metro Amigo (3.5"). I don't have it yet (will give a review in Jan), but the Commander-size may come home with me too. Since I already have 5" PT1911, the 4.25 didn't seem 'small enough' for carry.

·
Registered
157 Posts
So far for the money, RIA , is what i would be looking at, I own one, not in officer models, but it sure is a shooter........

·
Registered
29,933 Posts
Even the blind squirrel occasionally finds an acorn.

If you're not in a big hurry shop around, you'd be surprised how many good deals still await the patient shopper.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No big hurry for me actually really I don't need it at all. I have bought 3 pistols and an AR in the last two months so I should slow down. LOL Sometimes it's so hard to say no. I think my next purchase will be a .22 1911 or conversion so I can shoot more. $16.00 for 525 rounds vs. the same for 50 rounds of .45 is expensive. At least with the .22 I can get more practice in.

·
Registered
36,588 Posts
No big hurry for me actually really I don't need it at all. I have bought 3 pistols and an AR in the last two months so I should slow down. LOL Sometimes it's so hard to say no. I think my next purchase will be a .22 1911 or conversion so I can shoot more. $16.00 for 525 rounds vs. the same for 50 rounds of .45 is expensive. At least with the .22 I can get more practice in.
Sig Sauer has got some really nice 1911-22 on the market here in different finishs and grip styles.
i have had my eyes on a couple at the local range, fit/ function and finish seem very good.
I talked to a guy that shoots competitively at the range and he purchased one for practice with the 1911 in 45 and swears by it being the best Clone 1911 that he has shot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts