Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read on another board that the blue finish on the taurus 1911's are crap. Any truth to this? Just wondering if they found anyother way to bash on taurus's or what you guys thought. Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
I purchased a PT 1911 in May of this year and use it as a carry weapon and for shooting pins and plates at local area matches. There seems to be more finish/blueing ware than I would have thought. I would refer to it as more of a coating than blueing.

Nevadajim775

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
The thin finish is not all that I had hoped. I carry my PT1911 at least 18 hours a day and have done so for the past 12 months. The finish wear on the sharp edges of the slide just add character. If I become too concerned, I will just have the pistol coated with a ceramic finish. Don't let the finish issue deter you from purchasing a fine 1911.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I purchased my PT1911 about 3 months ago. Have got 500 rounds thru it. The finish does show several small wear points ... It is not finished off like my blue steel L frame 586 and K22 ... But I didn't by it for its looks ... IT SHOOTS VERY,VERY WELL!
JD in Dallas

·
Registered
276 Posts
chad_rn said:
I have read on another board that the blue finish on the taurus 1911's are crap. Any truth to this? Just wondering if they found anyother way to bash on taurus's or what you guys thought. Thanks
IMO the finish on the PT1911 is crap. One of the first things I did with my PT1911 was to ship it to a company called Elite Custom to have them refinish the slide and the frame (pics of refinished gun http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=2869.msg21113#msg21113) and it was worth having it professionally done. The great thing is that the cost of the PT1911 is low and the $150 I spent to have the gun refinished still makes it a better value than any other 1911 on the market that I am aware of! So, to me it is no biggie that the finish on the gun sucks. I was able to get a finish I wanted.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thanks I think I will still purchase one then down the road.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
The PT1911s in stainless have just been released so you may wish to take that into consideration unless you simply prefer the blued model.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Had to reply to this one.

One of the most inexpensive ways to protect and improve a guns finish ( even one as thinnly done or uneven as the Taurus) is to spend a little time polishing it up with FLITZ Metal Polishing Paste.

You can find Flitz paste metal polish at Midway, Brownells and many other suppliers. I am just now emptying a tube that is 25 plus years old. Back when you had to import it into the U.S. from Germany. I state that to let you know it has an indefinite shelf life with no break down or degradation of its strength.

Flitz is a NON abrasive chemical polish impregnated with pottassium that takes off grime and even light rust and puts a protective layer on the item.

With a few repeated polishings it will put such a deep shine on it that a blued gun will look almost stainless or like you removed the blueing down to barred metal, until you hold it under a light. Then it looks like some of the exotic sports car paint jobs with 20 layers of clear coat.

I have a Ruger Security Six I bought over 25 years ago as a "pin gun". Flitz is the only polish other than a mild cleaner ( to perserve more of the polish due to the then cost and import time) I have ever used on it. To this day and after easily 10,000 rounds or more through it... the Security Six still looks almost new- wear wise. I even have minimal scoring on the cylinder. ( Yeah I did break the edges of the cylinder latch to help prevent this also.)

The Flitz just gives it a protective coating that helps prevent marking from wear and tear. It even has minimal wear from years of holsters. Keep it polished and the coating wears off NOT the bluing.

It protects and seems to even out finishes. ( It can be used on high end paint jobs and even many house paints so it WILL be ok for Duracoat or any other type of finish too.) The slide of my Pt1911 looks almost like it is stainless.

Again- it WILL look like you are REMOVING the finish. It is actually just giving the finish or bluing in this case, such a depth and shine that it misleads you. Many times it takes holding the gun at a slight angle under a lamp for people to finally believe there IS still bluing under that shine. Or that it IS a blued gun and not stainless or nickel.

I first learned of it over 25 years ago in an article by Skeeter Skelton if I recall. Too, for what it is worth, I run a lab so I KNOW it is safe and works. ( But then I also KNEW my wife was a sweetheart and didnt have a cross bone in her body when I first proposed marriage to her ... so I HAVE been wrong now and then.... just not about the Flitz. The other one I have been having the error of my judgement "reinforced" to me for about 30 years)

It is also a great way to customize the look of your gun without removing the bluing. Polish the parts you want up with flitz and leave the original bluing unpolished on the rest. If you're careful and take your time and use swabs, small brushes etc. you wouldn't really even have to strip the gun down. For example if you wanted to polish the slide release, safety etc and leave the frame original.

My apology on not posting pictures, my camera is 200 miles from here and my wife's is sent off being repaired.

I think you can find little "sample tubes" of Flitz Metal Polishing Paste at some hardware stores and perhaps even some Walmarts. I will tell you up front that a 5.6 (?) ounce tube is about 18.00-20.00$, but worth every cent. I know Midway carries it in 2 or 3 assorted sizes with the smaller one ( maybe 2 oz.?) being abour 7.00-8.00$ And if you can find it,the tubes I have are 9.5 ounces (?) measured in grams if I recall. But again, I imported these because I could not find anyone back 25 plus years ago that carried it around Ohio, Indiana,Michigan and even Carolina's. I paid around 30.00 a large tube back then and worth every cent. Now it is readily available. And used sparingly it lasts a year and a day.

Respectfully, Brizz

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Brizz,I just went to the Flitz website (flitz-polish.com) and found that you are able to purchase this product in quantities as small as 1.76 oz. If you have an arsenal to polish it is available in a 6 lb. tin. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.