Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, wifey did the taxman dance, and we are just waiting on the mailman. She has told me to enjoy a new toy on her this year, as I just basically bought everything her aunt had. :p So, I have about a $600 budget to work with, and decided on a new 1911 to replace the Charles Daly I'm giving my oldest. Looking around Grab-A-Gun(local shop gets most of their stuff from them), I saw several options.

-ATI GI 1911
-RIA GI 1911
-Remington R1
-Springfield Mil-spec

I'm leaning towards the Remington or Springfield, as they both come with SS match barrels. The only major difference in the two is the Remmy has the straight back strap, Springfield has the arched back strap. For the $100 difference in price, I can change the Remmy's back strap.

So, who has these, how do they perform, and which one(s) to avoid?

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
Well, wifey did the taxman dance, and we are just waiting on the mailman. She has told me to enjoy a new toy on her this year, as I just basically bought everything her aunt had. :p So, I have about a $600 budget to work with, and decided on a new 1911 to replace the Charles Daly I'm giving my oldest. Looking around Grab-A-Gun(local shop gets most of their stuff from them), I saw several options.

-ATI GI 1911
-RIA GI 1911
-Remington R1
-Springfield Mil-spec

I'm leaning towards the Remington or Springfield, as they both come with SS match barrels. The only major difference in the two is the Remmy has the straight back strap, Springfield has the arched back strap. For the $100 difference in price, I can change the Remmy's back strap.

So, who has these, how do they perform, and which one(s) to avoid?

Well, it is kind of difficult to answer all your questions because I don't own exactly the models you're asking about. I do however feel that I can get pretty close.

As far as the gun from ATI, I know nothing. I've never owned one, I've never shot one, and I know no one who has one.

I have Rock Island Armory full size 1911's in four calibers. I have 22 long rifle, 22tcm, 9 mm, and 45 ACP. They are not and upper tier pistol but they shoot well, are basically accurate, run dependably, and have good backup customer service. If you search for Sarco Inc online they sell a lot of RIAs at good prices. You can buy the basic GI model from them for under $400.

I have a stainless Springfield officers model Target 1911. It is 45 ACP and it is everything on 1911 should be. It's good looking, accurate, shoot anything I feed it, and is a fun Dependable gun. I cannot speak for their customer service because I have never had to use it. I prefer the target style sights over the standard GI sights because my old eyes just don't get along with the GI sights very well.

I have a stainless Remington R1 enhanced 1911. Of the guns that you asked about I feel this is the best of the group. The best thing I can say about my Remington is that I have fifteen 1911s and I probably shoot my Remington more than any of the others.

While I cannot speak for the ATI, I believe did any one of the other three on your list would make a fine gun. good luck with your purchase and shoot safe.

Don

Reactions: taurustoter

·
23,071 Posts
I had an ATI for a short while. Well made gun, although I didn't shoot it much.

RIA; I have a double stack 1911. Excellent 1911, for a fairly plain-Jane one.

Remington; they're still kicking?

Springfield; good reputation for a midrange, American 1911. Probably what I'd go with.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
419 Posts
1st choice depending on $:
Springfield Mil-spec, back straps are cheap and easy to change out.
2nd
Remington R1
5-10 years from now you'll be happier with these than the others

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I would spend some time on:

XDTALK.COM

KIMBERTALK.COM

There is a lot of specific info on this subject.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
I have one of each that you inquired about.

ATI; I have a commander size .45 1911 with a four digit SN so I have had it a while. Eats anything, reasonably accurate, nice trigger, have never had an issue with it except that it is heavy. was my primary winter carry until this year when I got a Kimber Pro Carry II.

RIA; I have a full size 1911 GI .45 that I use for Wild Bunch competition. Out of the box it worked OK but with some magazines it would not hold the slide back after the last round and I hated the smooth grips. I replaced the grips with wood GI embossed ones and had my LGS fix the magazine catch. That made it work perfect. It's accurate, runs with 230gn cast bullets from any magazine. I do plan a few up grades like a flaired mag well reworked sights but this would not affect a pistol that wasen't used for WB shooting.

Remington 1911R1 SS .45; This could be considered a BBQ gun. Out of the box it was picky about ammo and had a creepy heavy trigger but other than that functioned well and was reasonably accurate. A short trip to my LGS for a trigger job plus some smoothing out of the feed ramp and extractor the function is now perfect. I added some Williams Fire Sights and some custom SOA grips now it looks great and is a tack driver.

Springfield Armory Range Officer 1911 in 9mm: works great right out of the box with no problems to date but because I can never leave anything alone I think the trigger could be improved, I don't care for the grips or sights so I reckon Williams Fire Sights, Pierce grips and a trigger job are on the menu.

Attachments

Reactions: jwc007

·
Registered
36,893 Posts
well above your 600 buck quote but IF I were looking for a 1911 right now in a reasonable price range I would be looking at the Ruger SR1911 myself.
it comes in a few different variations, government, or commander, a few different caliber 9 MM --45 ap- 10 MM, comes in lightweight alloy or steel frame, comes in standard form (which is well above a GI model) all the way up to a target model.
In my opinion its the best buy right now on a 1911, course what do i know-- I hate 1911.s.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I'm looking for a traditional GI style, thus the 4 I posted so far. So far, I've been able to handle all of them except the RIA(local shop sold out right now, more coming next month). The "upgrades" on the Remmy and Springfield also caught my eye. I've had to deal with Springfield CS, and they are top notch.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Reactions: gbusmech

·
Registered
276 Posts
My latest 1911 is the Springfield Armory with the "loaded" package. A few bucks more but worth it. I love this gun. Digests anything you can feed it, which was not the case with either my Ruger or Springfield XD45

·
Registered
36,893 Posts
Well, I'm looking for a traditional GI style, thus the 4 I posted so far. So far, I've been able to handle all of them except the RIA(local shop sold out right now, more coming next month). The "upgrades" on the Remmy and Springfield also caught my eye. I've had to deal with Springfield CS, and they are top notch.

Thanks for the replies so far.
ahh--OK--well 2 of the pistols that you listed are not GI models.
IF looking for a GI Model I would suggest that you take a gander at the ATI, the Rock island or the Citadel, dollar for dollar I doubt that you will find anything to compete and all should be well under the 600 dollar price tag that you have to work with.
just know going in that if you want a stripped version of the 1911 that its going to cost a lot more for upgrades made to the weapon, Sights, Beavertail, safety,trigger etc.
I would have listed/suggested the Para USA but Remmy ate them up several years back, that was a fantastic weapon in GI or Mil Spec, or upgraded models for the price.

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
I just noticed this morning that Sportsman's Warehouse has the ATI government GI model 45 1911 for $379. Just wanted to let you know if you were not aware of it

·
Registered
969 Posts
I really like the REM R1 as a basic 1911. But with a $600 budget, the RIA Rock series will be hard to beat considering all of the features you get. In my case, I would be tempted by the 10mm model. 10mm can be loaded down to .40 S&W level with a significant pressure reduction. Plus, the 10mm model can be bought for just under $600.;)

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
I have a stainless Remington R1 enhanced. It is a personal favorite of mine and I recommend it unconditionally. It is accurate, Dependable, shoots well, and is not ammo sensitive.

Here is a picture of mine, it's the top gun in the picture.

Don

20190127_112153.jpg

Reactions: 57K and jwc007

·
Registered
36,893 Posts
I really like the REM R1 as a basic 1911. But with a $600 budget, the RIA Rock series will be hard to beat considering all of the features you get. In my case, I would be tempted by the 10mm model. 10mm can be loaded down to .40 S&W level with a significant pressure reduction. Plus, the 10mm model can be bought for just under $600.;)

I forget but I do believe this beauty was like 549???
that's when they first came out and now they are known as the ULTRA. packed to the gills with features as well.
I think they even offer them in that' sissy 45 acp caliber as well.
Fairly accurate for a cheap old Furren made gun, but tis a LOOOONG way from a G I model!
All stock except I changed out the front fiber optic from red to green!

Attachments

Reactions: 57K and jwc007

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
If you are looking GI and 10mm, this is hard to beat at $370 https://www.rkguns.com/rock-island-...mpaign=March+2019&utm_content=2019-03-24+Gotw

Spend the rest on ammo!

I like RIA and Citadel, both are made by ARMSCOR in the Philippines.

ATI are usually made by SAM (Small Arms Manufacturing) in the Philippines. They also make them for Iver Johnson. I've only one sample of them and it's an Iver Johnson Thrasher.

SA are good quality. If it is marked "Brazil" it's made by IMBEL which is a very good manufacturer of 1911's. At one time SA bought the unfinished slides and frames from them and finished and fitted them together here.

Now the above are Series 70 clones and are compatible with Series 70 parts.

Remington R1 are very good quality and where Remington should have stopped. Buying Para-Ordnance was a good move by Remington as well as I like the ramped barrel setup better than the Wilson/Nowlin, why?, it is easier to mill the Para/Clark in one setup. Remington has more in common with the Series 80, which leaves them out if you are looking at a more GI style pistol

All my 1911's shoot nice, but if I was to find fault with ATI and ARMSCOR, it has to do that from time to time, their people mess up fitting an extractor in their 9mm 1911's. I lean a little more towards ARMSCOR as their fit of the barrel, slide, and frame are a little better than SAM. Now what is interesting, my R1 Enhanced in 9mm is the most accurate 1911 I own. It's right up there with one of my P9's worked on by Les Baer.

Rural King in my area tends to have the best prices on RIA GI style 1911's.

Below in the first image of my R1 Enhanced (Middle) and RIA Tact II Comp (Bottom), the top is a R1 Hunter LS in 10mm. The finish is nitrided on it.

In the second image, the top is a Citadel in cerakote called battle worn. The one on the left is a sample of SAM made for Iver Johnson called the Thrasher. In the ATI I think they call them the Titan. All three are bushing less bull barrels.

If I was going to carry a 1911, the Tact II and Thrasher are hard to beat. Both have proven their reliability. The Thrasher had a badly fitted extractor that I fixed rather than send back.

If you go RIA with your budget, you can get a higher end model.

Believe it or not, I have no idea why I haven't a SR1911. Only four of my 1911's are US made. Four are ARMSCOR, one is a SAM, and I have one Tisas and a lone PT1911.

So USA, Philippines, Turkey, and Brazil represents all I own.

R1RIA.jpg

RIAIJ.jpg

·
Registered
36,893 Posts
I am actually a bit surprized that any manufacture offers a 10 MM in a G I Model.
I know Rock offers the same in a 38 Super, course that round (38 Auto and super) has been around in the 1911 for a long time.
and of course rock makes that in the 9 MM as well.
I didn't go with the Rock 38 Super for that reason--it was a G I model and I wanted to upgrades.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
The big debate is doing it without a ramped barrel for Super and 10mm. RIA higher end models do ramped barrels but not many.

Colt still does it without ramped barrels. My Delta Elite is old school and I didn't notice any bulging towards the head on loads at the extreme.

Maloy

I am actually a bit surprized that any manufacture offers a 10 MM in a G I Model.
I know Rock offers the same in a 38 Super, course that round (38 Auto and super) has been around in the 1911 for a long time.
and of course rock makes that in the 9 MM as well.
I didn't go with the Rock 38 Super for that reason--it was a G I model and I wanted to upgrades.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK, thanks for the input. What I'm looking for is just a simple, knock around the truck gun that reliably goes bang and puts them where I'm aiming. I thought about other guns, however, I'm sitting on a 50 cal can full of 1911 mags, a holster already mounted in my truck(accessible to both driver and passenger), and enough brass to keep me busy for years. I'm also looking for one that if it breaks, spare parts are easy to find.

I do plan on hitting the hock shops before buying new.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Personally, any 1911 that shoots a cartridge at a higher pressure than a .45 Auto I prefer it with a ramped barrel. Notice that the 9mm when it came out in a 1911 was with a ramped barrel. Just gives you that added measure of safety.

Reactions: olfarhors and 57K
1 - 20 of 28 Posts